1993 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 - Page 6 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4187 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC. View Post
I really just want the lower part. The flares I can live without, but throwing every rock up your legs would get old real quick.
Thanks I will keep looking.
MrC.
you can still buy the lower splash guards for a 2000 trx300fw, cost ya over 100 bucks for both. ----> https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...00/rear-fender .

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 15 times
ok guys,
The front brakes are jacked, I have adjusted till I am blue in the face, so I tore it all apart, removed everything, the pistons are froze/rusted in there cylinders, I cleaned them and soaked them in PB blaster, still I can not get them the budge. so...
can they be rebuilt? replaced? disc brake conversion.

remember cost is of grave concern, this is a flip.
MrC
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2747 times
You can try removing the brake lines and screw a grease zerk into each seized cylinder, then pump the pistons out using a grease gun. Or you can take the cylinders off and boil them in water to expand the aluminum, breaking the expanded corrosion bonds. Once you get them apart you'll probably need to pick the corrosion out of the pits in the cylinders with a sharp dental pick, scuff the bores up with a scotchbrite pad and fill pits with JB-weld before sanding the excess epoxy back down flush with the bores. If you do that, let the JB-weld (original formula only) cure for a minimum of 48 hours at room temp before exposing them to brake fluid.
GirlsRideToo likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 15 times
Thanks retro, I tried the grease gun trick, it did get one of three out. I think they are just to far gone to save. I will try to remember that trick in the future.
I think since these are not the original brake shoes (have water grooves) someone put the shoes on, and didn't replace the cylinders, these shoes look really good and so does the springs, I dout they ever worked correctly. I am going to just replace the cylinders and pray for the best. the drums look ok , I have already replaced the upper hose/line I hope this gets me some brakes. Pictures coming soon.

FYI- be careful when you order chemicals off of Amazon- there is a NO return policy for anything type chemical paint/cleaners/solvents/etc.

MrC.
retro likes this.
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4187 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC. View Post
Thanks retro, I tried the grease gun trick, it did get one of three out. I think they are just to far gone to save. I will try to remember that trick in the future.
I think since these are not the original brake shoes (have water grooves) someone put the shoes on, and didn't replace the cylinders, these shoes look really good and so does the springs, I dout they ever worked correctly. I am going to just replace the cylinders and pray for the best. the drums look ok , I have already replaced the upper hose/line I hope this gets me some brakes. Pictures coming soon.

FYI- be careful when you order chemicals off of Amazon- there is a NO return policy for anything type chemical paint/cleaners/solvents/etc.

MrC.
you wasn't holding your mouth right on using the grease gun trick !, i've done it this way for many years, not once have I never got all the pistons out of the bores on the wheel cylinders !!. grease in a grease gun has a ton of psi pressure, nothing comes close other than hydraulic fluid ?. do it again, unless your not applying enough pressure on the grease gun ?, I see no reason why it wont push the pistons out !!!. oh, and you must close off the other hole in order to get the grease to push them out !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in