Oil drain plug issues -2008 Rancher 420 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 5 times
Oil drain plug issues -2008 Rancher 420

I went to change the oil and found there was a bunch of caulk/gasket sealer around the oil drain plug. When I got it out, it doesn’t look like the right part (looks like a plumbing part) and I think the inside threads aren’t right. Like half if the threads are missing. How do I fix this?

I am hoping to avoid replacing the crankcase.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93A26CA1-306F-4BB1-9223-8EF403B282FA_1555471066759.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	135680   Click image for larger version

Name:	41072C83-48E8-4735-87CE-E6BA7993D11C_1555471077817.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	960.2 KB
ID:	135682  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2768 times
You been bamboozled by the previous owner it looks like? Ya gotta replace that case to fix it. There'll be no net gain for universe until ya do.
LedFTed likes this.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
You been bamboozled by the previous owner it looks like? Ya gotta replace that case to fix it. There'll be no net gain for universe until ya do.
Yeah, I did not look at that before purchasing it. This thing has been a huge learning experience.

I’m not sure how tough this is going to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2768 times
Lots of those get broken by folks who overtighten the drain plug. Its a very common problem. The PO is a dirtbag for not revealing that to ya.

The motor has to be taken out, completely disassembled, the cases split and that half-case replaced. Best option might be a used set of cases from powersportsnation.com. Do you have the tools and abilities to do that work yourself? If not you soon may... a shop might charge ya over $1k for labor alone.
Jeepwm69 likes this.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:02 AM

Liked: 45 times
Depending on how bad the female threads are, you may be able to clean it up and install one of these... https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/f-109.html There are some pretty good sealants/epoxies out there, along with a heli-coil. Getting it clean is the hard part. Takes lots of solvent or brake cleaner sprayed up in there to get all the oil out.

2008 Honda Rancher, manual shift, Alum Rubicon (old style) wheels & tires. Warn R/T 2500,
2015 Rubicon, manual shift, 3500SR Terra Superwinch, Strongmade receiver hitch.
2018 Foreman, manual shift, 2500-S Warn Provantage.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook12 View Post
Depending on how bad the female threads are, you may be able to clean it up and install one of these... https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/f-109.html There are some pretty good sealants/epoxies out there, along with a heli-coil. Getting it clean is the hard part. Takes lots of solvent or brake cleaner sprayed up in there to get all the oil out.
That definitely looks worth my time/money to try to install. Is that the right size? Jbweld?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:58 AM

Liked: 2937 times
See number 9 for pics of the one I used.

https://www.hondaforeman.com/130-for...plug-size.html

Keep in mind you will need to make sure that you have a skid plate on your bike, and will need to make sure that the skid plate hangs down far enough to clear the valve. I put a block of wood between the skid and the engine on my wife's rig to make sure that the skid plate wasn't pushed up in a hole where the valve could catch on something.

I used blue loctite and screwed it up in the hole and let it sit for a day before I filled with oil. If you don't have any threads left at all this won't work for you. You have to have SOME material for the fumoto valve to hold onto while the loctite sets.

Not enough material there to do a helicoil. Crankcase area is very thin there on a 420.

Crappy design for sure.
retro likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:20 PM

Liked: 45 times
I have the same Rancher model as the OP, Iím still using the original Honda oil plug (knock on wood). Iím switching to the Fumoto valve on the next oil change. You can cut down a heli-coil to match the thickness of the case, if you have enough of the old threads to hold, glue that in first and let dry. Then tread the fumoto valve in with a hard sealant. Good luck

2008 Honda Rancher, manual shift, Alum Rubicon (old style) wheels & tires. Warn R/T 2500,
2015 Rubicon, manual shift, 3500SR Terra Superwinch, Strongmade receiver hitch.
2018 Foreman, manual shift, 2500-S Warn Provantage.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:23 PM

Liked: 12 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
See number 9 for pics of the one I used.

https://www.hondaforeman.com/130-for...plug-size.html

Keep in mind you will need to make sure that you have a skid plate on your bike, and will need to make sure that the skid plate hangs down far enough to clear the valve. I put a block of wood between the skid and the engine on my wife's rig to make sure that the skid plate wasn't pushed up in a hole where the valve could catch on something.

I used blue loctite and screwed it up in the hole and let it sit for a day before I filled with oil. If you don't have any threads left at all this won't work for you. You have to have SOME material for the fumoto valve to hold onto while the loctite sets.

Not enough material there to do a helicoil. Crankcase area is very thin there on a 420.

Crappy design for sure.
I have NO CLUE if this might be possible on the 420 drain plug, but just want to say what I do on stripped drain plugs on the race bikes I wrench on and it works !

Many times I do not have the material to remove to do a helicoil, I just tap to SAE fine thread do not even need to drill the aluminum just carefully run the tap in cut down an SAE bolt if needed and make My own copper crush washer or use a fiber washer !

Just a thought!
wheelsquad likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:39 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 415 times
i have to ask a question, just for the sake of it. why cant ya weld a fine thread nut to the bottom, an just make the drain different? is the metal to thin to weld?

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have to though, to match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode