To drain or idol out gas - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1587 times
Garage
Question To drain or idol out gas

Just wanted opinions.... For you fellas who longgggg (im talking over a year +) store carbureted hondas and don't have a sorce for ethanol free gas ...... Do you idol the machine till it dies, OR completely drain the carb bowl ?

Heck while we're @ it opinion on petcock settings ......lol

1986 fourtrax trx350, 97 300 fwd.
Fully customizing a 1999 fourtrax 300 fwd.
<<<< Garages.
Oct 15th, Dale Earnhardt jr. Day

>>>> aka Termite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:17 PM

Liked: 520 times
Garage
I would completely drain the bowl that way absolutely no fuel is sitting in the bottom of that carb.

And what do you mean by petcock settings? I run mine on- ON then when the bikes stutters I flip it too RES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
misterclean59 and _Wilson_ like this.

• 2001 Honda TRX 416ex
  • 2003 Honda TRX 416ex
  • 1999 Honda 300ex
  • 2014 Polaris 1000 xp Turbo
  • 1998 Yamaha PW 80
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:26 PM

Liked: 38 times
When I live in Illinois there was no ethanol free, in my lawnmowers I would drain tank and carburator, they would always start but that was only about 5 months though. Maybe for that long I would drain everything and go to like home Depot and get a gallon trufuel gas they have in 4 cycle now and pour that in. It's suppose to be good for like 2 years opened and 5 years unopened. It's 20 bucks a gallon but for storing it would be it.
misterclean59 and _Wilson_ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:48 PM

Liked: 1833 times
if it was me, I would one fill tank with fresh TREATED fuel
run treated fuel for a good 5 minutes and then shut motor off and LEAVE as is
BUT Then when going to re start atv after a yr of sitting, I would drain everything, pull and even clean carb
my reason is, there are seals and gaskets that if you leave them sit DRY they can fail, faster IMO then if full of fluids!

NOW< if you really WANTED to use NON ethanol fuel, like said above, LOWE"s HOME DEPOT and like places sell it, in a metal can,, would NOT be cheap to buy to fill the tank, but you should b able to get ti there in with where they have lawn mowers and chain saws!

I would also be plugging up the exhaust with an exhaust plug, adding some moth balls to air box, and pulling battery out of atv and kept indoors on a tender
I MIGHT even pull spark plug and spray down hole with some WD 40 or like oil, to help make sure things there stay free!
also I think I would jack atv up off the ground to relieve tires from getting flat spots opt cracks in side walls!
_Wilson_ and LedFTed like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2589 times
I would not ever leave ethanol laced fuel in any fuel can, fuel tank, carb & lines, whatever... for more than 30 days. I'd dump it into my burning barrel and toss a match in on it.

As far as long term storage goes? If its gonna sit through a winter I treat the fuel then empty everything out completely. Change the motor oil, then run the carb dry until the motor dies while the choke and throttle are held open. Then either open the float bowl drain to get those last few drops out, or sometimes I'll take the carb off for indoor storage. Either plug the exhaust as mrbb mentioned, or take it off the bike for indoor storage. Replace/flush the brake fluid out 100% every fall and spring... change oil in diffs. Take the spark plug out and add 1/2 oz of fogging oil or synthetic two-stroke oil to the cylinder. Crank it over a few times, put the plug back in then roll it up onto TDC on the compression stroke. Take the battery and air filter indoors, plug those holes you've left open and wait until April showers stop bringing out the snow plows. :-)

Ethanol is optional around here so I don't have to deal with that problem with my own stuff.
Goober, misterclean59 and _Wilson_ like this.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:08 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 392 times
someone posted a link, that list places that still sell real gas. i got three, between 12-20 miles, from me. it posted non ethanol gas by states.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have to though, to match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 04-13-2019 at 03:11 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:27 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1197 times
Tru-fuel works great.

If this quad sits in unheated shed i would not leave a tank empty due to condensation = rust. Heated building with lower humidity is better.

You could oil fog it–lots of options and methods from car collectors.

Maybe remove the tank and oil fog it and carb too.
_Wilson_, LedFTed and retro like this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:40 AM

Liked: 1833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFTed View Post
someone posted a link, that list places that still sell real gas. i got three, between 12-20 miles, from me. it posted non ethanol gas by states.
here are two links to find ethanol free fuel by state

https://www.pure-gas.org/

https://www.buyrealgas.com/
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:16 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 392 times
somewhere, between 2016 to now, was another link.
i might have to find my wood-chucking forums, if i havent lost my sign in page over the year's. i feel sure the link was here also.
best check it out on my older PC, before i switch out motherboards, while i got the chance. the small hard drive in it, dun like, when you switch motherboards. its XP home edition, from 2002. still has info on it. i swapped back an forth so many time's, it got aggravated.
not to say i'm aggravating or confusing

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have to though, to match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 04-15-2019 at 12:19 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:57 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1197 times
Oh and petcock settings...
On 86-93 trx350 the reserve setting intake screen sits at the bottom if the tank BUT canít completely drain the tank. You have to remove the tank drain bolt and try to get the quad level to drain the tank. And then you have to roll it back and forth. Thatís as aggravating as having to swap hard drives

I do run my other petcocks on reserve settings occasionally to try and access any condensation. I run my old Softail on reserve quite often cuz it gets turrible mileage like 160 miles per tank and she surprised me last Tuesday when she got 129 and i was a long ways from my usual ethanol-free station :0
_Wilson_ and retro like this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in