Honda ATV Forum banner

1991 TRX250X carb question

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  szultzie 
#1 ·
Hi,

I acquired a 1991 TRX250X last fall.

It ran when i got it but only with about half choke always. I tried adjusting the carb a little and go tit running with about 1/4 choke. Then I put it away for the winter.

I tried starting it the other day and it wont start, nothing when i kick it like 30 times.
I checked the spark and it looks good.

Short of going thru every electrical connection, could it be the carb?

Its an unknown as it is since this thing was messed with, has an aftermarket pipe and gas tank already. I wonder it the carb was replaced and or messed with. It did pop pretty bad in open throttle.

I tried finding a replacement carb for it, but they only sell 85-87 from what i can find.

Is there a carb of a different year or model that was the same that i can swap in, with some modifications maybe? Dont want to go to the dealer since that will prob cost over $200.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Peter

See less See more
#2 ·
Carb most likely is a big part of the problem. If the spark plug isn't new, replace it with the recommended plug only.

Start by finding a service manual for your model. It will tell you which carb was originally installed. Then, remove the current carb so you can see if it is the original (it should be stamped with a number or name) or a replacement. If original, you would be much better off rebuilding it rather than replacing it with a cheap one like the ones sold on Amazon and eBay. As for the rebuild kit, it is best to use a Shindy or similar high-end brand. A carb is not the place to pinch pennies.

I checked partzilla.com and they do not offer a full replacement carb but do have most of the parts available. At partzilla.com if you click on a part name/number it will take you to a page that will show you all the compatible models. This should help you find which other years are compatible with your ATV.

Clean the air filter. Check that replacement gas tank to be sure it's clean inside and the petcock is allowing proper fuel flow. If gas has been sitting in that tank since last fall you need to empty and clean the tank and fuel lines.

Follow all the general maintenance recommendations in the manual. It's always best to start with the simple things first and work out from there so you don't end up buying parts you don't need.

I hope this helps you. Keep us posted.

#3 ·
Yes^^^
Click my links for service manual and parts

Verify your carb is the proper part number. If it doesn’t have the correct carb at least you’ll be able to search fleabay for correct carb.

Consider buying a rebuild kit for it as well as a choke (starter) valve.

Refer to the carb “sticky” for rebuild tips.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice. Ill look into the shindy rebuilt kit and start with that. What other brands are high-end?

Also whats the difference between TRX250X A - FOURTRAX 250X and TRX250X AN - FOURTRAX 250X? and how do i tell?

Goober your link doesn't have my year for a manually but thanks. Ill have to find one some other place.

Ill update this thread as i do thing, it may be slow because i dont have much time to put into this project, but i want to get it running this spring. We just purchased new house with 2.5 acres of woods so i will want to ride it =)

Thanks

#6 ·
Oh yeash sorry we don’t have sport quads manuals.

Ok you’ll have to refer to your VIN to determine which carb you need. Here’s one instance where TRX250X A and AN are different.
Early ‘91 quads evidently use keihin PD63B A and laters use QB01B A.

Attachments

#7 ·
So finally got around to rebuilding and cleaning the carb.

Kicked over and started right up.

I guess it’s usually the carb. ?

Thanks for everyone’s advice. It helped me get it going.

Also found a nest of crap in the air box so bad that I’ve been soaking it in a bath of purple power and water for a week now to get the gunk out of it.

The air filter had to be replaced as well. That just came in so I’ll be doing some riding this summer.

-Peter

#9 ·
We are very happy for you! As Goober mentioned it is very important that a good "once over" be done just to be sure..........you don't want an expensive failure that could have been prevented. Change all the fluids and filters, adjust the valves and cam chain. That's about all I can think of.......all other issues will be self evident.

#10 ·
So took it to New Hampshire Sunday (I live in CT so it was an 1.5 hours away only)

It did really well. It was also my first time taking it out of my yard.

Kept up with (for the most part ? a bunch of modern machines with 4x4 power steering and fuel injection ?

I was told we went around 30-35 miles an hour for the easier trails.

I think it topped out around 50mph on an open field the other hit 73 I was told.

I was happy that it stayed running lol

Also I think It was new guy initiation but they told me to go thru a mud puddle and I got stuck and muddy. But it started right up (after they winched me out)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.