1991 TRX250X carb question - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

 7Likes
  • 1 Post By GirlsRideToo
  • 2 Post By szultzie
  • 3 Post By Goober
  • 1 Post By misterclean59
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
szultzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Liked: 2 times
1991 TRX250X carb question

Hi,

I acquired a 1991 TRX250X last fall.

It ran when i got it but only with about half choke always. I tried adjusting the carb a little and go tit running with about 1/4 choke. Then I put it away for the winter.

I tried starting it the other day and it wont start, nothing when i kick it like 30 times.
I checked the spark and it looks good.

Short of going thru every electrical connection, could it be the carb?

Its an unknown as it is since this thing was messed with, has an aftermarket pipe and gas tank already. I wonder it the carb was replaced and or messed with. It did pop pretty bad in open throttle.

I tried finding a replacement carb for it, but they only sell 85-87 from what i can find.

Is there a carb of a different year or model that was the same that i can swap in, with some modifications maybe? Dont want to go to the dealer since that will prob cost over $200.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Peter
szultzie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:36 PM
Senior Member
 
GirlsRideToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Down South, USA
Posts: 543
Liked: 447 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by szultzie View Post
Hi,

I acquired a 1991 TRX250X last fall.

It ran when i got it but only with about half choke always. I tried adjusting the carb a little and go tit running with about 1/4 choke. Then I put it away for the winter.

I tried starting it the other day and it wont start, nothing when i kick it like 30 times.
I checked the spark and it looks good.

Short of going thru every electrical connection, could it be the carb?

Its an unknown as it is since this thing was messed with, has an aftermarket pipe and gas tank already. I wonder it the carb was replaced and or messed with. It did pop pretty bad in open throttle.

I tried finding a replacement carb for it, but they only sell 85-87 from what i can find.

Is there a carb of a different year or model that was the same that i can swap in, with some modifications maybe? Dont want to go to the dealer since that will prob cost over $200.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Peter
Carb most likely is a big part of the problem. If the spark plug isn't new, replace it with the recommended plug only.

Start by finding a service manual for your model. It will tell you which carb was originally installed. Then, remove the current carb so you can see if it is the original (it should be stamped with a number or name) or a replacement. If original, you would be much better off rebuilding it rather than replacing it with a cheap one like the ones sold on Amazon and eBay. As for the rebuild kit, it is best to use a Shindy or similar high-end brand. A carb is not the place to pinch pennies.

I checked partzilla.com and they do not offer a full replacement carb but do have most of the parts available. At partzilla.com if you click on a part name/number it will take you to a page that will show you all the compatible models. This should help you find which other years are compatible with your ATV.

Clean the air filter. Check that replacement gas tank to be sure it's clean inside and the petcock is allowing proper fuel flow. If gas has been sitting in that tank since last fall you need to empty and clean the tank and fuel lines.

Follow all the general maintenance recommendations in the manual. It's always best to start with the simple things first and work out from there so you don't end up buying parts you don't need.

I hope this helps you. Keep us posted.
shadetree likes this.
GirlsRideToo is online now  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:22 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Goober's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,100
Liked: 1417 times
Yes^^^
Click my links for service manual and parts

Verify your carb is the proper part number. If it doesn’t have the correct carb at least you’ll be able to search fleabay for correct carb.

Consider buying a rebuild kit for it as well as a choke (starter) valve.

Refer to the carb “sticky” for rebuild tips.

_________________
Click link for Honda service manuals! 👀 see, right here👇🏻 Click it 👇🏻
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...13&direction=a

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
__________________
Goober is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
szultzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Liked: 2 times
Thanks for the advice. Ill look into the shindy rebuilt kit and start with that. What other brands are high-end?

Also whats the difference between TRX250X A - FOURTRAX 250X and TRX250X AN - FOURTRAX 250X? and how do i tell?

Goober your link doesn't have my year for a manually but thanks. Ill have to find one some other place.

Ill update this thread as i do thing, it may be slow because i dont have much time to put into this project, but i want to get it running this spring. We just purchased new house with 2.5 acres of woods so i will want to ride it =)

Thanks
szultzie is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
szultzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Liked: 2 times
Here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8892.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	134832   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8887.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	134834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8885.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	134836  
szultzie is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 05:06 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Goober's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,100
Liked: 1417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szultzie View Post
Thanks for the advice. Ill look into the shindy rebuilt kit and start with that. What other brands are high-end?

Also whats the difference between TRX250X A - FOURTRAX 250X and TRX250X AN - FOURTRAX 250X? and how do i tell?

Goober your link doesn't have my year for a manually but thanks. Ill have to find one some other place.

Ill update this thread as i do thing, it may be slow because i dont have much time to put into this project, but i want to get it running this spring. We just purchased new house with 2.5 acres of woods so i will want to ride it =)

Thanks
Oh yeash sorry we donít have sport quads manuals.

Ok youíll have to refer to your VIN to determine which carb you need. Hereís one instance where TRX250X A and AN are different.
Early Ď91 quads evidently use keihin PD63B A and laters use QB01B A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	441EFE39-49EA-4B96-B39C-20B09F2FB622.png
Views:	6
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	134838  

_________________
Click link for Honda service manuals! 👀 see, right here👇🏻 Click it 👇🏻
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...13&direction=a

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
__________________
Goober is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
szultzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Liked: 2 times
So finally got around to rebuilding and cleaning the carb.

Kicked over and started right up.

I guess it’s usually the carb. 🙂

Thanks for everyone’s advice. It helped me get it going.

Also found a nest of crap in the air box so bad that I’ve been soaking it in a bath of purple power and water for a week now to get the gunk out of it.

The air filter had to be replaced as well. That just came in so I’ll be doing some riding this summer.

-Peter
Goober and misterclean59 like this.
szultzie is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:17 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Goober's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,100
Liked: 1417 times
Nice!!! Good job.
You mustíve gotten a service manual?
Now on to the other service intervals right lols
misterclean59, _Wilson_ and retro like this.

_________________
Click link for Honda service manuals! 👀 see, right here👇🏻 Click it 👇🏻
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...13&direction=a

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
__________________
Goober is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:00 AM
Senior Member
 
misterclean59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,709
Liked: 595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Nice!!! Good job.
You mustíve gotten a service manual?
Now on to the other service intervals right lols
We are very happy for you! As Goober mentioned it is very important that a good "once over" be done just to be sure..........you don't want an expensive failure that could have been prevented. Change all the fluids and filters, adjust the valves and cam chain. That's about all I can think of.......all other issues will be self evident.
retro likes this.
misterclean59 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to clean a carb shadetree Repair & Maintenance 95 03-11-2019 02:38 AM
2014 TRX90 carb interchange question Thachman Honda TRX 0 11-29-2016 09:00 AM
Another carb question Cj7deerslayer Repair & Maintenance 1 11-28-2016 08:56 PM
'85 250 fourtrax issues. Knucklebuster103 Honda FourTrax 12 10-28-2016 12:39 PM
1991 fourtrax 300 carb honda4life1991 Repair & Maintenance 11 06-12-2016 12:36 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome