2007 trx400 4x4 400 no Start. - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 15 times
I will be selling this unit ASAP after a good clean up and get the fan straighten out, weather its an issue or not.
I did pick up a ........

1998 Honda 450es 4x4 running.
needs carb cleaned. tires, and brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190324_165352.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	135060   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_143757.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	629.5 KB
ID:	135062  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

EDIT, I cant edit my earlier post, I guess it would be helpful to others why I had no compression.

I pulled the head and found a fragment of the valve seat had broken off and was being hit by the piston, it didn't happen long, since there is no way it could run like that.
this is why it would not hit/start on starting fluid either. and why I had zero compression!. I got lucky the cylinder was not scared. I did not mic the cylinder (no mic), I played it safe and went with a standard size replacement piston and ring pack. after several starts and about 20 minutes of run time, I am happy to report NO SMOKE, I will say the valve train is a little ticky, I checked and set the valves 3 times to .006, I guess these are just ticky.
all and all I was riding it after only $300 and about 8 hrs work.
Now its time to detail it and sell it.

MrC
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
you must like punishment ?, you turned right around and bought a es project !..lol. oh, and your welcome ! :-).

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Yes I did lol, buy another ES, but its a manual trans not a Honda-matic
The all-time 4x4 may be a bigger issue, we will see. I didn't realize that until after I got it home and on jack stands, I spun the front tire and the back ones turns too. I was
surprised to say the least. It runs and drives as is, and was a bargain, I just had to buy it.

Here in Florida good used Hondas are hard to come by, you cant be to picky if you want to ride.
Ideally, I could find a selectable 4x4 with a manual trans and 450cc range, but those don't exist
where I live unless it's been run over by a Mack truck and left in the bottom of the lake.

I have read there is a kit to make this one 2wd or 4x4, if it runs and drives like I hope it does, I might
do that. I have always had 2wd sport atvs, I have ridden utv's but never owned one.

MrC.

Shadetree- I am a little disappointed in you, did you look at the photos? there are quite of few treasures in the background of that half of the shop, I just knew you would have liked to see.

Last edited by MrC.; 03-27-2019 at 11:50 AM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:58 PM

Liked: 12 times
Can not see the old 2 door car very good 54 Chevy ?

The Honda-matic that I got running out of junk when dialed in had near seamless shifting in the auto mode ! Loved it ! Was always in the correct gear for what ever I was doing!

The ES shift are great machines they have sold tons of them ! Not that hard to troubleshoot when and if problems happen.

I have not found the full time for wheel a problem for Me on My current '01 Rancher 350 that was drug out of a barn and loaded on a trailer with a front end loader, one owner beat to hell and back machine two weeks and $350 in parts and labor of love, it works like a NEW ONE and looks pretty damn good !
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Close OldMXRider
2 door 1953 chevy 210.
Also my 100 year old anvil gets a few comments as well.

I was going to keep the 400FA but found this 450es and it seems like it was so lightly used it should be a great bike for a long time.
I rebuilt the carb and installed a new Master cylinder w/ hand lever, I will fire it up tomorrow. I am waiting on tires now.
I found some crazy cheap V treads on amazon, we will see how they hold up.

MrC.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC. View Post
Yes I did lol, buy another ES, but its a manual trans not a Honda-matic
The all-time 4x4 may be a bigger issue, we will see. I didn't realize that until after I got it home and on jack stands, I spun the front tire and the back ones turns too. I was
surprised to say the least. It runs and drives as is, and was a bargain, I just had to buy it.

Here in Florida good used Hondas are hard to come by, you cant be to picky if you want to ride.
Ideally, I could find a selectable 4x4 with a manual trans and 450cc range, but those don't exist
where I live unless it's been run over by a Mack truck and left in the bottom of the lake.

I have read there is a kit to make this one 2wd or 4x4, if it runs and drives like I hope it does, I might
do that. I have always had 2wd sport atvs, I have ridden utv's but never owned one.

MrC.

Shadetree- I am a little disappointed in you, did you look at the photos? there are quite of few treasures in the background of that half of the shop, I just knew you would have liked to see.
yep, I seen those goodies, but when I seen that es trx450 ?, I ran away !..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

WOW big news
I have finished the 07 Rancher 400FA, that was fun, I rode it about 20 minutes hard today and another 10 just putting around, the new battery helped the flashing 4x4 light, now it only comes on when in 4x4 which works I tested it on a large dirt pile I have. I posted an ad on CL today selling it.

I want to thank this forum, As some of you know I picked up a basket case 98 foreman 450es. Using the manuals downloads and my phone, I have rebuilt the carb, traced the yellow wire w/ red tracer to a faulty/dirty relay, I cleaned it and now the switches work perfectly to shift gears, I also used the manual for putting the oil filter in correctly. Thank you all, I hope I can pay it forward.

So whats next, the 07 goes to a local auction Saturday, I hope to sell it there or on CL.
The 98 is my new toy, I have verified all the systems work and work well. I do need a display this one is busted (anyone have one) Plans are front disc brake conversion, 2 inch wheel spacer, new tires, maybe a 2 inch lift and then a 2wd / 4x4 conversion. I have said before I normally ride sport bikes, I hope I can get this 450 to have a sporty feel. Otherwise I may be looking for something like a 400ex. Anyways I'm off looking for my next flip.

Shadetree thanks again, I know you advise against the ES models, but this one seems ok and until I can find the unicorn manual trans, this will have to do.

MrC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190327_184316.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	563.2 KB
ID:	135094   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190327_184349.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	600.1 KB
ID:	135096  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC. View Post
WOW big news
I have finished the 07 Rancher 400FA, that was fun, I rode it about 20 minutes hard today and another 10 just putting around, the new battery helped the flashing 4x4 light, now it only comes on when in 4x4 which works I tested it on a large dirt pile I have. I posted an ad on CL today selling it.

I want to thank this forum, As some of you know I picked up a basket case 98 foreman 450es. Using the manuals downloads and my phone, I have rebuilt the carb, traced the yellow wire w/ red tracer to a faulty/dirty relay, I cleaned it and now the switches work perfectly to shift gears, I also used the manual for putting the oil filter in correctly. Thank you all, I hope I can pay it forward.

So whats next, the 07 goes to a local auction Saturday, I hope to sell it there or on CL.
The 98 is my new toy, I have verified all the systems work and work well. I do need a display this one is busted (anyone have one) Plans are front disc brake conversion, 2 inch wheel spacer, new tires, maybe a 2 inch lift and then a 2wd / 4x4 conversion. I have said before I normally ride sport bikes, I hope I can get this 450 to have a sporty feel. Otherwise I may be looking for something like a 400ex. Anyways I'm off looking for my next flip.

Shadetree thanks again, I know you advise against the ES models, but this one seems ok and until I can find the unicorn manual trans, this will have to do.

MrC.
just a heads up: your looking at about 300 bucks to do the front disk brake conversion, you will need a front diff out of a late model '02-'04 trx450fm to do the ele 2wd-4wd conversion. the drive shaft will have to be custom cut to length to fit between the front diff and motor's front output shaft. the frame cradle will have to be notched out for the front diff to fit. you will need a 4wd lens for the 4wd to show on dash, as well as a light socket. you will need the 2wd-4wd throttle control switch from a late model '02-'04 trx450fm to turn the 2wd-4wd on the front diff., and then you will need a gizmo from @retro for the front diff to work. in other words, you got your work cut out for you if you take this on ?!..lol. as for the meter/display ?, just buy a new one, don't take chances on a used meter/display !. you should take a look at my project build in the build section, '99 trx450S build, I show a lot of progress on this.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

450es

Shadetree- that sound expensive and problematic.
what about this product?
https://www.extremesnorkels.com/prod...RoCx5AQAvD_BwE

it says it fits my 1998 foreman 450ES unless I am missing something, it does not mention anything about different differentials or custom shafts.
what you thoughts on it. cost is high but it would really loosen the ol girl up.
MrC.

Speaking of the 450es, I got to ride her today, climbed great front pulls hard when really getting on it. only issue is it bogs a little on take off, if you stab it, once out of the hole she really moves pulls hard mid and top end.
I adjusted the pilot screw it did help but not perfect.

Here is how she looks now!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190330_174555.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	135166   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190330_174522.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	135168  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode