300 in neutral, output spins when kick start spun over - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By shadetree
  • 1 Post By fishfiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 3099 times
300 in neutral, output spins when kick start spun over

Local kid that I try to help out is trying to get his 300 ready for mud nats. He tried to "lefty loosey" on his clutch nut and spun the nut and ruined it (he still can't get it off) so he gave up on it and found a used motor that he went and picked up last night (supposedly good).

This morning I had a text from him saying it turns over in neutral when he spins the motor using the kick start (motor is on his bench).

Only thing I can think of is the reverse lockout is tied out of the way or maybe has the spring removed so it doesn't hold up into the shift drum, so what he thinks is Neutral is actually reverse.

Anything else that would cause those symptoms?

I started to ask @shadetree this via text, but figured if I posted it on the forum it might help someone out in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4259 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
Local kid that I try to help out is trying to get his 300 ready for mud nats. He tried to "lefty loosey" on his clutch nut and spun the nut and ruined it (he still can't get it off) so he gave up on it and found a used motor that he went and picked up last night (supposedly good).

This morning I had a text from him saying it turns over in neutral when he spins the motor using the kick start (motor is on his bench).

Only thing I can think of is the reverse lockout is tied out of the way or maybe has the spring removed so it doesn't hold up into the shift drum, so what he thinks is Neutral is actually reverse.

I started to ask @shadetree this via text, but figured if I posted it on the forum it might help someone out in the future.
if he's using the kick start to kick it over ?, and its turning the motor over ?, well..this is normal !...lol. the reverse lever at the right side of the engine has nothing to do from keeping the motor from turning over. only thing the reverse lever does is, it keeps you from using the electric start while in gear.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
and ALL trx300 MOTOR'S HAVE THE CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH NUT ON REVERSE THREADS WITH THIER CRANKS ! :-).

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post

some how I missed a part of the topic ^^^^ ?, let me also clear this up as well. when using electric start, or kick start in this case, all output shafts will turn '' somewhat '' while in neutral. when there is no load on the output shafts ?, they all will turn to some degree. this is normal. if the rear end, or in gear ?, then you have a load on the transmission, and if it spins when you kick it over ?, then yes, its in gear. when you try using the electric start while in gear, the whole atv can and will jump '' if '' the throttle sticks wide open ?!. this is why I always tell folks to not do this mod..its just begging for a wreck !!..lol. to answer this kid's problem ?, yes..the output shaft can spin even while in neutral if no load is on the transmission ? :-).
TBRider likes this.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6568 times
Garage
I had a long day , read it three times , not sure what I read ----- you think the engine being on a bench , without any resistance like tires on the ground , makes a difference
Jeepwm69 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode