Last ditch post for my 98 450ES not running - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 277 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2777 times
Are you putting new NGK spark plugs in it? Champion don't work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 277 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Are you putting new NGK spark plugs in it? Champion don't work.
Yes made sure of that..

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
post #23 of 277 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 02:39 PM

Liked: 123 times
4) @ktriebol--did check valves yesterday and with T lined up on compression pretty much had .006 on both valves

bcsman, I saw that you checked valve clearance in your earlier post. I wasn't referring to that when I asked you if you were sure that the valve timing is correct. What I mean by correct valve timing is that the camshaft must be timed correctly to the crankshaft. If the timing chain is off one or more teeth, the valve timing is incorrect. Correct setting of valve timing is explained in the service manual.
wheeler, LedFTed and Chalkymon like this.

2015 TRX500 Foreman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 277 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktriebol View Post
4) @ktriebol--did check valves yesterday and with T lined up on compression pretty much had .006 on both valves

bcsman, I saw that you checked valve clearance in your earlier post. I wasn't referring to that when I asked you if you were sure that the valve timing is correct. What I mean by correct valve timing is that the camshaft must be timed correctly to the crankshaft. If the timing chain is off one or more teeth, the valve timing is incorrect. Correct setting of valve timing is explained in the service manual.
Oh sorry no I haven't checked that, I think I need to tear more of the engine apart to check.
Chalkymon likes this.

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
post #25 of 277 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:41 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 420 times
I had my cam chain off 1 tooth. Quad ran but never right. Once I fixed it it was a new machine. So if that’s off your .006 will not really be that at TDC...

1995 Honda 300, 355bbk, 40b Webcam, Springs & Hardened Rockers, 300ex Carb, Ricks CDI, FMF Full Exhaust, EBC DRC Clutch Kit, Outlaw Clutch Springs, Twin Air Filter, HL Disc Brake Conversion, Wide Open 424 kit, HL 2" lift, Bronco Shocks, 26" Zillas, Terra 35 Super Winch, Heat Demon Hand/Thumb Warmers, Powermadd Hand Guards, PIAA 35w Bulbs
post #26 of 277 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:47 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
classic CDI failure
Ok if it was me Id pull the CDI and bake it in the oven at no more than 180F for at least two hours. Let it cool completely!!! then reinstall. Dont rush the cool down.
Goober;; first i ever heard of this remedy. does the age of atv matter,[i.e. CDI], when trying this?

bcsman:: : when did you first post? my memory is some short, and i want too reread, what you wrote first, before i suggest anything.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have to though, to match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
post #27 of 277 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFTed View Post
Quote:
classic CDI failure
Ok if it was me Id pull the CDI and bake it in the oven at no more than 180F for at least two hours. Let it cool completely!!! then reinstall. Dont rush the cool down.
Goober;; first i ever heard of this remedy. does the age of atv matter,[i.e. CDI], when trying this?

bcsman:: : when did you first post? my memory is some short, and i want too reread, what you wrote first, before i suggest anything.
Oh good grief are you sure you want to reread, they have rambled all over the place. But here you go, good luck...
Dec 17-Foreman forum
Jan 8--Repair forum
Jan 11--Repair forum
This post

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
post #28 of 277 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:08 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFTed View Post
Quote:
classic CDI failure
Ok if it was me I’d pull the CDI and bake it in the oven at no more than 180F for at least two hours. Let it cool completely!!! then reinstall. Don’t rush the cool down.

Oh good grief are you sure you want to reread, they have rambled all over the place. But here you go, good luck...
Dec 17-Foreman forum
Jan 8--Repair forum
Jan 11--Repair forum
This post
Dec 17 works for me. if it were in one thread instead of many, i would have better luck, keeping up. after 4 strokes, sometimes i cant remember what i was thinking, just before i stand up. Patience is required for us the Old ones, Patience must be learned, by the young, or those that have not acquired it... just a thing

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have to though, to match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
post #29 of 277 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Ya should have kept to one, my bad...
LedFTed likes this.

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
post #30 of 277 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:29 PM

Liked: 352 times
Garage
I'm going out on a major limb here so I hope you'll take my comments in the spirit in which they are offered.
I read back through all your threads to be sure I understand where you are at this point. I know you listed, in this thread, what you've done so far, but that still does not sort it out in my simple brain. Here are my questions:

1. You added a new fuel line without a filter. Are you sure the fuel line is the correct size per the manual?

2. After adding the new fuel line did you fill the tank adequately to check the fuel flow in both the On and Reserve positions? I don't see where you were ever able to get good flow in "On". Maybe you did and did not post about it.

3. You say there is no problem with the fuel flow from the tank to the carb but you are basing this only on the fact that the plug is wet and, I think, you said you had fuel in the bowl of the carb on one occasion. This only proves fuel got to the carb at some point but doesn't mean you have a good constant flow.
Also, you said you thought fuel flow was good because you blew air through the petcock. Sorry, but air from the outside into the tank may just push any debris back into the tank and it will settle again against the petcock filter. AND, that petcock filter just slides on and you may have knocked it off when you flew air through it.

4. Are you positive your fuel selection knob is in "ON' and not Reserve or somewhere in between. My On position is about 1/2 inch past the On position. You mentioned several times that you did not have much fuel in the tank. Are you cheaping out because you don't want to waste fuel? LOL. Fill that puppy up at least 1/3 of a tank. You'd be amazed how much gas needs to be in the tank to crank it.

4. As @shadetree mentioned, be sure you gas cap is sealing and that the vent tube is not stopped up.

I'll throw in #5 for the entertainment value. Part of my job here is to make you laugh.

5. Are you sure, really sure, the kill switch is off. Flip that switch back and fourth a few times and be sure it comes to rest in the centered position. It's fooled me more than once.

Sorry for asking all these things but I can't get past the fuel delivery issue. I hate to see you trying all these things when you may not need to.
Goober, Z7What and Chalkymon like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode