Last ditch post for my 98 450ES not running - Page 26 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #251 of 277 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 142 times
So finally back at it, feeling quite abit better. Also this weekend had snow and not much above freezing....yuk. Went out and got the gasket and front cover on, shift motor lubed up with white lithium and installed, front drive assembly reattached, 2 oil lines installed, and valve cover on. Gotta take a break, so all left is put the carb on, put oil in, and put the gas tank on. I have 2 quarts of oil but need a little more to fill up so need to make a trip.

Since I have had this apart for a couple months is there anything special to do with the carb before cranking? Maybe spray a little into the intake?

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 277 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
was the carb rebuilt with a carb kit ? ( shindy ). if not ?, as long as fuel was not standing in it ?, then it should be ok. just add fuel to tank, turn it on, let er rip !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #253 of 277 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
was the carb rebuilt with a carb kit ? ( shindy ). if not ?, as long as fuel was not standing in it ?, then it should be ok. just add fuel to tank, turn it on, let er rip !.
Yes carb was rebuilt with a Shindy kit, does that make a difference?? When in the shop they did try to start after doing the valve job. But I have taken back apart and cleaned all the fuel after I got back home. So been fuel free since, about a month.

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES

Last edited by bcsman; 04-01-2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #254 of 277 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsman View Post
Quote:
Yes carb was rebuilt with a Shindy kit, does that make a difference?? When in the shop they did try to start after doing the valve job. But I have taken back apart and cleaned all the fuel after I got back home. So been fuel free since, about a month.
put fuel to it, run it !.
bcsman likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #255 of 277 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

that is pretty simple, got the main adjustment out 2 1/2 turns or so....

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
post #256 of 277 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

WHOOOO HOOOO! she is alive!!!!!!!

Didn't want to fire immediately but gave a shot of carb cleaner and fired up. I had been pacing around to turn the key and try but finally said it's gonna go. So will post back later with more info, gotta adjust idle and a few things....I can't give enough thanks to everybody who pushed me to do this myself, especially @shadetree. I know he should have given up on me weeks ago, but has the patience of Job. Thanks all!!!!
shadetree, misterclean59 and retro like this.

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
post #257 of 277 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
WHOOOO HOOOO! she is alive!!!!!!!

Didn't want to fire immediately but gave a shot of carb cleaner and fired up. I had been pacing around to turn the key and try but finally said it's gonna go. So will post back later with more info, gotta adjust idle and a few things....I can't give enough thanks to everybody who pushed me to do this myself, especially @shadetree. I know he should have given up on me weeks ago, but has the patience of Job. Thanks all!!!!
good deal...glad ya got her going...job well done !!!.
bcsman likes this.

post #258 of 277 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
and I also just pulled this '99 trx450s out of my shop, she's done as well !, lol.
bcsman likes this.

post #259 of 277 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
and I also just pulled this '99 trx450s out of my shop, she's done as well !, lol.
hahahahaha well it was a race to see who got done first, guess we'll call it a tie. I have some putting back together tho so you have me there. Gotta mount the fuel tank and put the front fender and racks back on. Also air box and seat. Haven't checked to see how she shifts yet but will see later......

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you hanging in there with me, with all my microf**king around. Will keep some updated posted...

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
post #260 of 277 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
hahahahaha well it was a race to see who got done first, guess we'll call it a tie. I have some putting back together tho so you have me there. Gotta mount the fuel tank and put the front fender and racks back on. Also air box and seat. Haven't checked to see how she shifts yet but will see later......

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you hanging in there with me, with all my microf**king around. Will keep some updated posted...
tie huh ?..lol. I was done with this when the motor ran about 4 or 5 days ago ?..lol. I just had to fill tank up, fire her up, run through all the gears, add the skid plates back on, and then run her up and down the street a few times to get that 1 mile on her !..lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode