Last ditch post for my 98 450ES not running - Page 15 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 277 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:15 AM

Liked: 123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktriebol View Post
One would normally replace the crankshaft sprocket too in order to prolong the life of all components. Hopefully the cost of it is low enough to make it a no-brainer.
ehhhhh..you can't replace the crank shaft sprocket bro, its made onto the crank.
I thought that might be a possibility, but I'm not that familiar with that engine. Thanks for the enlightenment. It seems it would have been better to make that sprocket a separate piece, so it could be replaced. Do you know what the reasoning might be behind the irreplaceable sprocket?

2015 TRX500 Foreman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 277 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4259 times
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
One would normally replace the crankshaft sprocket too in order to prolong the life of all components. Hopefully the cost of it is low enough to make it a no-brainer.
ehhhhh..you can't replace the crank shaft sprocket bro, its made onto the crank.
I thought that might be a possibility, but I'm not that familiar with that engine. Thanks for the enlightenment. It seems it would have been better to make that sprocket a separate piece, so it could be replaced. Do you know what the reasoning might be behind the irreplaceable sprocket?
sure I know, well..i got a good idea any way ?..honda wants you to buy a whole new crank !..lol. which I dont think you can even do today ?, as most parts for these are discontinued. edited : wrong machine...lol yes you can get cranks..lol was thinking of another motor..( old age ya know )..trx450 cranks are still around..i should know !..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit

Last edited by shadetree; 03-03-2019 at 12:55 PM.
post #143 of 277 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 170 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsman View Post
Quote:

did I not tell you already, you will need to pull the head and cylinder, in order to remove the cam chain slack adjuster ?..lol.
yes you did but so many posts on here I lost track, sorry. was hoping I wouldnt have to remove the tensioner but have to retract it and to retract have to remove, oh well forgive this novice, I'm trying and learning with the help here
no worries bro, I think your doing a great job taking it on by yourself !.
Thanks definitely stepping out of my comfort zone, but with the help here I'm gonna get r dun...

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 277 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Hey think I'm gonna be able to get by without pulling the head off. I got some advise that the tensioner is accessable with the exhaust removed from the head. I took those 2 bolts off and loosened the whole muffler and puled it back from the head and there are holes in the head fins to stick a screwdriver down to the large phillips head screw on the top of the tensioner. Then I'm thinking that sucker is probably pretty tight and didn't want to strip it. So I sprayed some penetrating fluid on, let it sit for awhile, then stuck a long #1 screwdriver down on the screw. I thought maybe I could help it by tapping the screwdriver with a hammer while trying to turn and by golly it loosened. I then had to modify a longer flat blade screwdriver with my grinder to get into the small access hole and it turns up and down. So unless there is a reason to remove the tensioner I think the head won't have to come off. Or am I mistaken on another reason for removal?? Whatcha think??

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
post #145 of 277 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Hey think I'm gonna be able to get by without pulling the head off. I got some advise that the tensioner is accessable with the exhaust removed from the head. I took those 2 bolts off and loosened the whole muffler and puled it back from the head and there are holes in the head fins to stick a screwdriver down to the large phillips head screw on the top of the tensioner. Then I'm thinking that sucker is probably pretty tight and didn't want to strip it. So I sprayed some penetrating fluid on, let it sit for awhile, then stuck a long #1 screwdriver down on the screw. I thought maybe I could help it by tapping the screwdriver with a hammer while trying to turn and by golly it loosened. I then had to modify a longer flat blade screwdriver with my grinder to get into the small access hole and it turns up and down. So unless there is a reason to remove the tensioner I think the head won't have to come off. Or am I mistaken on another reason for removal?? Whatcha think??
seeing how you was able to get the top screw out ?, your golden !!. thats what makes it so you have to pull the top end down ?, most wont come out like yours did..lol, or they strip out ?..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #146 of 277 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Glad I went to church today, livin' right today huh? So that would be the only reason for me to pull the head for my situation? Again what helped me was experimenting on my test engine found out how to work the tensioner. Only thing I'm not sure of is locking the shaft retracted so might need an extra hand for a few minutes when I install the new chain. They can hold the screwdriver with the shaft up until I get the chain on then release for proper tension.

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
post #147 of 277 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Glad I went to church today, livin' right today huh? So that would be the only reason for me to pull the head for my situation? Again what helped me was experimenting on my test engine found out how to work the tensioner. Only thing I'm not sure of is locking the shaft retracted so might need an extra hand for a few minutes when I install the new chain. They can hold the screwdriver with the shaft up until I get the chain on then release for proper tension.
yep, once you remove the screw driver holding it retracted ?, it springs back down on its own, and locks. unless !!!..its bad ?.

post #148 of 277 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
yep, once you remove the screw driver holding it retracted ?, it springs back down on its own, and locks. unless !!!..its bad ?.
Oh now dont go throwing that bad juju on my engine, not fair...right now its locked in place.....

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
post #149 of 277 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

@shadetree, need some help figuring out the front drive oil seal you are saying to replace. Can you give me an idea what parts diagram to look on?? Is it where the driveshaft enters the crankcase?

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
post #150 of 277 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
@shadetree, need some help figuring out the front drive oil seal you are saying to replace. Can you give me an idea what parts diagram to look on?? Is it where the driveshaft enters the crankcase?
#6 ---> https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...es/final-shaft .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode