1988 - 1992 ??? - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 20 times
1988 - 1992 ???

Hello and HELP,
I'm Tony and I just joined your forum. I live in the Florida Panhandle.
I just got 2 Honda 300 Trx Fourtrax ATVs, I was told that they are both between 1988 and 1992. Neither one has keys so I ordered 2 ignition switches. They are 4 wire with Red, Black, Pink, and Pink w/ White stripe.
So when taking the old ignition switch's out I found that they are both non stock and have wire nuts on the ends but aren't connected to any wires. So my question is where and how do I connect the new wires?
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Wewaman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3213 times
The new OEM Honda ignition switches plug into the wiring harness. Those are obsolete parts though... how were you lucky enough to find two of them?

You should find bullet connectors for those ignition switches to plug into on the wiring harness under the front fender.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...trax/handlebar

Service manual link:

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...downloads.html

Welcome to the forums!
Wewaman likes this.

post #3 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for such a late reply, but thanks for the links. I have a lease in Alabama and the 2 Atv's were just sitting together in the back of the property. They haven't run in several years and I asked about them and was told that a past member had left them when they quit running. He's gone now so I asked if I could try and get them working and was told that if I took both home I could have them. So I loaded 1 in the back of my truck and brought it home and I'm going back this weekend to bring the other one home.
I got it to crank after I put in the ignition and took the carb off and cleaned it, and changed the oil. In order to get it to start I have to feather the throttle. After it warms up it will start right back up but if it sits for a little while I have to mess with the throttle to get it to start again. No brakes or lights yet but I want to fix 1 thing at a time.
Wewa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:34 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 488 times
get the service manual. it has a wiring diagram. if it sat for a long time, then you may be looking into carb problems, plus bad gas, specially if ethanol gas was used. sitting for several years says something also.
i might have 5 min's left to say something. timer thingy.. i got it

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 01-17-2019 at 09:41 PM.
post #5 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:44 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1507 times
First you might not be starting it right. On a cold engine, set the choke to full. Turn on ignition—the red oil light should come on momentarily—then go out. Push the thumb throttle all the way open—as you start cranking, let the throttle come back to 1/3 open. It should fire—after about 15-30 seconds it should start to run roughly then step the choke to middle; after two minutes you should be able to turn choke off.

If you’re still having rough idle then you have to do some maintenance

Consider draining the fuel tank completely and add fresh fuel with Seafoam

There’s a nut on the bottom of the petcock—unscrew it and clean the screen with an old toothbrush. Don’t use steel—it’s plastic.

You might have to replace the starter valve.
Keep in mind that the quads are old—every time you inspect something there’s a chance you’ll break it. LOL it happens
Wewaman likes this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #6 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:17 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7026 times
Garage
If you want to know what year they are , the 10th digit of the vin number is a code for the year ----a lot of times the sticker is still on the frame and readable in the front bottom and the year is on that sticker
post #7 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:27 AM

Liked: 3320 times
Can't beat getting free Hondas! Those 300's are awesome bikes. Fix them both and do a few upgrades and you'll have bikes you can ride the rest of your life.
Wewaman likes this.
post #8 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:35 PM

Liked: 45 times
Garage
I interpreted this as "don't use your steel toothbrush" You are hardcore, Goober.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
—unscrew it and clean the screen with an old toothbrush. Don’t use steel—it’s plastic.
post #9 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:45 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1507 times
LOL special implants eh?

I use brass or plastic brushes on my carbs. Bamboo handled cotton swabs—when the swab tip gets dirty you can break the handle off to scrape away bits of gasket from the carb body.
I try to avoid scoring those mating surfaces.
Wewaman likes this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

Last edited by shadetree; 02-19-2019 at 07:24 PM.
post #10 of 201 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Update:
I took the carb apart, jets and pilot screw. The pilot screw was 2 3/4 turns out and when I reinstalled it I turned it 1 3/4 turns out according to the CLYMER manual. It
Will crank and run and also idle fairly well but falls to low occasionally and it has a slow throttle response. So I have a couple questions.
1- the choke lever has to be held with the thumb to keep it all the way to the left but it will stay in the middle position by itself and will stay in the off position by itself. Is there an adjustment that will fix that?

2- what can I do to even out the idle and get a better response from the throttle?

I still need to fix the back brake, there is absolutely NO brakes in the rear. The left front lever is loose, you can pull it all the way to the grip and it will stay there, also the foot pedal will go almost to the ground but it will return.
The front brake only has a brake line to 1 side so at least it has a little stopping power.
Thanks for all the reply's,
Wewa

Last edited by Wewaman; 02-03-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode