possible causes of starter magnet crumbling? - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJCountry View Post
I think that the mice and rats chew next to the battery because that is where the oxides form...maybe those taste sweet? IDK never tried to taste them myself. I have heard that lead oxide has a sweet taste which is why kids like to eat paint chips. If your terminals are lead then I could see this happening.
i did hvac, an also some plumbing, at a place i worked. i sometimes had to help the plumbers catch on some jobs. hand sanding[ cleaning up the joints with fine sandpaper or similar, with your fingers, so the soilder sticks to copper fittings], on both jobs, the dust would be absorbed through the skin, and would make cigarettes taste sweeter. not to mention food and such. copper in a necessary mineral.
ya might be just on to something.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 12-20-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:11 PM

Liked: 5 times
Hi, I didn't pick up anywhere where you said your wiring had been chewed up? Don't go replacing your wire loom if the only problem is the munched magnets in the starter motor... that's all it is-the magnets come loose and disintegrate,like so much of the newer stuff these days- they don't last quite the same! Replace the starter motor and you should be fine. Cheers from New Zealand.
Goober and LedFTed like this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:32 PM

Liked: 129 times
Being that the starter is a mechanical device i dont think the wiring issue caused the issue with the starter. I had this very thing happen on my riding lawn mower. Not 100% sure what caused the issue but i believe the issue with my starter was due to it getting hot doing extended crank times. The extended crank times is due to a known issue with Kholer engines. There is a compression release spring on the cam shaft that breaks. When this spring breaks it makes turning the engine over to start much harder because the starter is having to fight against the compression in the cylinder, because its not being released due to the spring being broke. I replaced the stock starter with a cheap on from Amazon, increased the size of the power wire from the battery to the solenoid and from the solenoid to the starter as well as added extra grounds throughout the mower. Its been a year since doing this and its been working perfectly.

Now onto the eatten wires. This issue has been a issue since the beginning of time. From what i have read, the insulation or maybe its the lubication used on the wire when its being made is soy based. The mice/rats smell this and thats why they eat the wires. Recently i came across a company called Mouse Blocker, they make an electrical tape thats "encapsulated Capsaicin from Hot Chile Peppers" this is supposed to stop mice/rats from eating the wires.

https://mouseblocker.com/product/ant...t-repair-tape/

Note: I have not used this tape, just something I’ve come across.

Wayne

2012 Rancher 420: 25" Maxxis Zillas - Polished 12" ITP Wheels - Custom Retrofitted 5000K HID Projector Headlights With Amber LED Parking Lights - Dual 9” Single Row LED Light Bars - KFI Winch Mount - Badlands 2500lb Winch With Disconnect, 6000lb Synthetic Rope & Aluminum Fairlead - Dry Box Mounted On Fender - Custom Stainless Steel Front Basket Rack - Ceramic Coated
Next Mod: Front & Rear Basket Racks

Last edited by Z7What; 01-05-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

if you can find out why the glue used to hold magnets in casings breaks down, then you will have your solution[i wont mention china, for obvious reason]...did i say shoddy workmanship? : |

"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 01-05-2019 at 09:29 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 2 times
Garage
Resolved

Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the input and advice on this one. I realized I never followed up after I got her back up and running and wanted to in case anyone came back through with the same issue and wanted to use my solved problem to fix their ride in the future.

So it turns out the disintegrated starter was just that, no other wiring or electrical issues as far as I have seen. So I guess the answer to my earlier "IS THIS JUST GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN WITH THE NEW STARTER" question has been answered. There doesn't seem to be any further issues at all and have put several miles on her since without the first hiccup with the starter itself. Must've been a hard bump before I got her that just finally reared it's ugly head.

There was one other issue with starting that turned out to be unrelated to the starter motor however. The kill switch, right below the down shift turns out to be finicky and has to be absolutely centered anymore to start. It doesn't always center any more and if it is just a hair off I get nothing. My 10 year old actually discovered the problem. He was begging for a ride and I tried a dozen times, threw my hat across the yard and gave up for the day. He stayed after it and finally discovered the issue. Rockstar that one!!

I know this should probably go on a new thread for locating purposes for the next guy but does anyone know if that little red kill switch can be replaced or if you have to get a whole new shifter and light control cluster? Just figured someone might have hit this wall before and figured out a cheap fix. The cheapest fix for us for now has been just turning it off with the key while in neutral and never touching that switch, ha ha. You do what you have to do sometimes I guess, right?

Thoughts?

Thanks again for the assistance and happy riding to all,

James
Goober and misterclean59 like this.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:00 PM

Liked: 3095 times
I don't ever use the kill switch. I always turn the key off.
Goober and LedFTed like this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:42 AM

Liked: 45 times
Garage
You could take it apart and fiddle with it. I turn the key off as well. I am a little paranoid about forgetting and draining the battery.
Goober likes this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 11:41 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1336 times
I don’t use the kill switch—possible it could have been damaged or just plain worn. So it depends on how fiddley it is

it’s an 07 (and an ES), I would consider saving my coinage and replace it in near future, while switches are available. Not ASAP but not eventually either. These switches are more expensive than FMs.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:18 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

mine is froze shut. before that, i would hit it sometimes without trying, i couldnt figure out the problem, till i got laughed at.
when you need the kill swich, you will be probable on the ground, before you even think about it.

2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode