get new or fix carberetor - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 3 times
get new or fix carberetor

On my 2001 TRX350 manual shift I think I have a carburetor problem. Out driving around with a full take of gas and suddenly I am empty. I refilled once I got home and noticed the problem was that gas was pouring out the carburetor. I think that is the overflow tube coming out the bottom. I am new to ATV maintenance. A few google searches and it was suggested that getting a new Carburetor is well worth the expense over getting a carburetor kit. I don't like the idea of taking all that stuff out and finding out I did not really fix the problem. So is it worth getting a carburetor kit and take the thing apart or do I get a new Carburetor and solve my problem long term. Any help at all would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 11:15 AM

Liked: 445 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldspear View Post
On my 2001 TRX350 manual shift I think I have a carburetor problem. Out driving around with a full take of gas and suddenly I am empty. I refilled once I got home and noticed the problem was that gas was pouring out the carburetor. I think that is the overflow tube coming out the bottom. I am new to ATV maintenance. A few google searches and it was suggested that getting a new Carburetor is well worth the expense over getting a carburetor kit. I don't like the idea of taking all that stuff out and finding out I did not really fix the problem. So is it worth getting a carburetor kit and take the thing apart or do I get a new Carburetor and solve my problem long term. Any help at all would be appreciated.
I'm not the expert here but I can tell you what they will say. Also, I took their advice for my 1997 TRX250 and 2014 TRX420 Rancher.

Yes, your carb is a problem. It may just need a thorough cleaning to fix the problem and that's where you should start.

If the cleaning does not work I recommend rebuilding the carb using a Shindy rebuild kit. You can buy cheaper kits but most are of Chinese origin and you will be wasting your money. You get what you pay for! If I am capable of rebuilding a carb anyone can do it! I wasn't even sure which part was the carb when I started. SO, go for it! It's not as difficult as it seems. There are plenty of great posts and stickies here that will help you.

A new OEM carb is expensive but if money is not an issue then go for it. Do not purchase a cheap non-OEM carb. It might work for a while but then will likely fail. Anyone who tells you it's cheaper to buy a new carb rather than rebuilt it is talking about using a cheap replacement.

Also, check your throttle cable to be sure it's not sticking or binding.

Do things right the first time so you can enjoy your TRX350 for a long time to come! Please keep us posted. It's no fun when people fly by the forum for advice and disappear. Your followup may help someone else in the future, so , again, keep us posted!

Others will be along to offer other advice to help you.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Kind of remote where I am but will see if I can get a rebuild kit. Seems to make sense based on what you are saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:51 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1411 times
You do not need a new carb, but your current carb is 18?years old. Time to rebuild it.

Get a Shindy rebuild kit
Replace the primer plunger
Replace the starter valve if it has one

Most importantly get the service manual and start doing those maintenance items

Or take it in and have the Honda techs do it
XplicitRacing6 and retro like this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:16 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6777 times
Garage
I read where you are remote , I now from my line of work that things need to get up and running , time is money , rebuilding the carb can be as easy as opening it and cleaning it with a can of carb spray without even getting a kit , then it might take removing and installing it several times with a kit , if you can afford a new OEM carb and want to get it right the first time I would go that way and get it over with -----be sure to clean the tank and petcock , it only takes a flake of rust or dirt to stick that float and have it over flowing again
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:36 AM

Liked: 2 times
Not sure of the price on a rebuild kit, but I would suggest checking online for a replacement carb. I got a replacement carb for my 2006 Rancher from Amazon for about $40, but that was 2 years ago. It's still working great and was an easy swap. I've been using ethanol free gas since then and have not had any issues.
misterclean59 likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:23 AM

Liked: 3240 times
Your float needle valve is leaking. Common on 350 carbs. If it's running ok I'd just try to fix the leak.

Pull the carb, take the bowl off the bottom (4 screws), and slide the pivot pin out on the float, allowing you to lift the float up. You'll see a brass insert in the carb and a needle that goes up into that insert (seat) with a rubber tip that sits in the tabs on the float.

If the needle tip is reallly hard, order a Shindy carb kit which will have a new needle in it. Take a Qtip with some polishing compound (even toothpaste will work), stick it in a drill and on slow speed polish the inside of that brass insert that the needle goes into. If your needle doesn't look horrible, scuff the rubber tip with some 000 steel wool.

When the float goes up, it pushes that rubber tip into the seat, which stops gas flow. If the float gets a hole in it, or if that rubber tip doesn't seal against the seat, gas continues to flow and comes out of the overflow (don't block the overflow or the gas goes into your crankcase!)

If that fails, buy a new OEM carb. Don't risk a china carb.
LedFTed, Geraldspear and retro like this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:04 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 464 times
the 2000 trx450 had a leak, till i had my short vision glass on, an used a magnifying glass, an seen some, hard water type buildup, where the needle seats. a good cleaning, will take care of old age parts. yours is over due. wish that would work for me, a rebuild. plenty of advice on how-to rebuild carburetor here. the hard water buildup, i think, was caused by using ethanol gas, on mine.
if you buy made in china, ya got least a 5-10% chance, it might work, for a while, if at all. can ya get non-ethanol gas over that way?
Jeepwm69 likes this.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 12-17-2018 at 07:09 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Looks like I might get a new carburetor. I will just have to wait for. This is all very good information, I am a pretty handy guy with most things but mechanic stuff is not my strong suit. I may get a new carburetor and a kit and clean out the old and have it as a spare in the future.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:39 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 54 times
Great info! I just got a 96 300 and mine is doing the same thing. Its been sitting for a while (years) and had a full tank of gas. I drained it by taking the tank off, cleaned the screen and put some fresh non-ethanol gas in it. Started up after a few cranks but would only stay idling at 1/2 choke. Finally got it to idle and run good with no choke by throttling it up and down. Tires are shot so I can't ride it. When I shut it off fuel started leaking from the overflow hose! Thanks to this post, sounds like I dislodged a piece of gunk and its stuck in there. I'll go the rebuild route as I have no need for ATV and this is a project for me.

I will say though the reviews of the cheap $40.00 carbs on Amazon are pretty good. Seem to work well for people. Maybe they don't last though. How much is a OEM?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode