2002 Honda Rancher 350 ES Stuck in Reverse - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
2002 Honda Rancher 350 ES Stuck in Reverse

Hi Everyone I have a 2002 Honda Rancher 350 ES 2x4 that is stuck in reverse. Just a little background on this issue. While riding one day I noticed that the speedometer was not working, after that my rancher started sticking in fourth or fifth gear when running at high speed. It would not down shift unless I turned the engine off and back on then I had to rock it back down into neutral. So the first thing I did was replace the speed sensor. At first this seemed to have fixed the shifting and speed sensing issues. This worked for several weeks until one when I backed my Rancher up to a trailer and it stuck in reverse. I have tried the manual shift, and replaced the angle sensor neither has fixed the problem. The shifter motor still clicks as if it is trying to shift the gears but it is still stuck in reverse. Just a little history on the bike itself I bought this bike back in 2002, it hasn't been rode to hard it's main use has been for light riding and hauling wood. If anyone has any idea as to what I need to do next please feel free to join in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 07:05 AM

Liked: 124 times
How old is your battery? Electric shift models need to have a good battery. If your battery is older than 5 years, replace it. Also keep the battery fully charged by connecting a battery tender to it when not in use.
Chalkymon likes this.

2015 TRX500 Foreman
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:13 AM

Liked: 438 times
If it wont shift out of reverse with the emergency manual shift then its likely you've got an internal problem.

I remember there was a recall for the gear shift plates on these. ive had a couple 350's that broke and did what your describing.

Not a bad repair, either way your gonna need to tear into it to rectify the issue.
_Wilson_ and retro like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3222 times
If you cannot shift it out of reverse using the manual shifter tool, then likely there is an internal issue. Check the gear position switch to make sure that it hasn't broken open and fell apart first. But I suspect you'll find the problem might be in the drum linkage behind the front cover. You'll need a copy of the service manual to guide you. Look in the manuals thread for a link to a manual if you haven't gotten one yet.

Let us know how it goes if you can.

EDIT: Manny types faster. LOL :-)
Chalkymon likes this.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4408 times
Garage
sounds like a engine split case to me ?. another electric shift model that makes me cringe !..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Nah... his bike is an '02, it has the updated shift drum fix from the factory. :-)

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Nah... his bike is an '02, it has the updated shift drum fix from the factory. :-)
the early ranchers is where all the shift drum problems started, then in the later years they were having problems with 4th gear if I remember right ?. hopefully its at the front like ya said !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
Hi everyone thanks for the replies I tried the shift tool today and it let me shift it into neutral with no problem. So I started it up and let warm up then I took it for a short ride around the house. Now first it let me shift in all gears smoothly, then it started sticking in fourth but it would let me down shift to third and etc.So the next thing I did was cut it off and on again this time it didn't want to shift out of first, but it would shift down into neutral and even reverse. I also shifted in reverse a few times, it shifted smoothly from reverse to neutral but it again stuck in reverse. So I used the shifter tool again with no problem to get it back in neutral. Just to note my battery is only a couple of months old and I checked the voltage and everything is good. So if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears Thanks
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

You're in luck, it just needs some maintenance caught up then. Are you handy with taking things apart and putting them back together? Got basic metric tools and lubes/supplies? If so, grab a copy of the service manual for reference, read it... and follow me..:

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...ml#post1151201

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman980 View Post
Hi everyone thanks for the replies I tried the shift tool today and it let me shift it into neutral with no problem. So I started it up and let warm up then I took it for a short ride around the house. Now first it let me shift in all gears smoothly, then it started sticking in fourth but it would let me down shift to third and etc.So the next thing I did was cut it off and on again this time it didn't want to shift out of first, but it would shift down into neutral and even reverse. I also shifted in reverse a few times, it shifted smoothly from reverse to neutral but it again stuck in reverse. So I used the shifter tool again with no problem to get it back in neutral. Just to note my battery is only a couple of months old and I checked the voltage and everything is good. So if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears Thanks
some fresh grease in the elec transfer gear area may help you !. this is at the front, where the electric shift motor is. DO NOT PULL THE ELE SHIFT MOTOR APART !..LOL. just remove all the cover bolts holding the ele transfer gears, clean out all the old grease, put some fresh grease back in, should help it shift better :-).
Chalkymon likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode