Rear axle nut keeps coming loose, 06 Rubicon - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 06:17 AM

Liked: 276 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson_ View Post
Hmmm another pic not up loading.......? Is there so e updating going on ? In the forums ?

Edit:
Quote:
What does the hive think?
or the swarm ?
Yep this has been happening since yesterday for me. Using Google Chrome and the new layout; pictures are not showing up. @VS_Goose
_Wilson_ likes this.

'95 TRX300FW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinecrook View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson_ View Post
Hmmm another pic not up loading.......? Is there so e updating going on ? In the forums ?

Edit:
Quote:
What does the hive think?
or the swarm ?
Yep this has been happening since yesterday for me. Using Google Chrome and the new layout; pictures are not showing up. @VS_Goose
They dont work for me either and Im using the classic layout on an iPhone.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:22 AM

Liked: 4 times
Uhh...If the castle nut tightens up and you put a cotter pin in it I don't see how it could possibly back off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 3080 times
He lives about 40 mile from me. If I had to guess, the threads on the axle are gone and the nut will tighten up, but then wiggles back and forth and eventually the nut wears enough to jump over what threads are left on the axle, so I don't think it's coming unscrewed, I think it's working itself off, destroying the cotter pin in the process.

I told him to run a new axle nut on there with some Loctite yesterday. He said it tightened up ok, but then he try to give it another uga with his impact and said it started spinning, so yeah, axle threads are gone. (I swear this guy can break an anvil)

He might be able to weld it on, but turns out it's on the brake side, not the left, so if he tries to weld the nut onto the axle he's gonna have a hard time not melting the drum seal on the brake.

I'm going to suggest he just bite the bullet and buy an axle.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
He lives about 40 mile from me. If I had to guess, the threads on the axle are gone and the nut will tighten up, but then wiggles back and forth and eventually the nut wears enough to jump over what threads are left on the axle, so I don't think it's coming unscrewed, I think it's working itself off, destroying the cotter pin in the process.

I told him to run a new axle nut on there with some Loctite yesterday. He said it tightened up ok, but then he try to give it another uga with his impact and said it started spinning, so yeah, axle threads are gone. (I swear this guy can break an anvil)

He might be able to weld it on, but turns out it's on the brake side, not the left, so if he tries to weld the nut onto the axle he's gonna have a hard time not melting the drum seal on the brake.

I'm going to suggest he just bite the bullet and buy an axle.
If he ends up welding it my advice would be to cut the castellations off the nut to allow for more weld to a better bit of material. Could even grind a V into the end of the axle and run a weld around first to get the heat into the hardened axle shaft, then proceed to weld the nut on. The hotter the axle is before the main weld to the nut the better.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:26 AM

Liked: 4 times
I took a quick look on ebay. They're not nearly as costly as I thought. Here's a link for a new one for $74!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2001-20...UAAOSwp0ZazCrY
Jeepwm69 likes this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 3080 times
That's cheap enough. He'd have to pay someone to weld the nut on anyway. Sent him the link.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 11:27 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6532 times
Garage
I didn't mention this in my other post , but someone brought up about how the nut can be loose and the cotter key still be in > that's is what happens , when the splines get worn and the hub starts wallowing out , then it going farther onto the shaft and the hub is loose and the nut still right where it is cotter'ed off
_Wilson_, SamUK and retro like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode