Honda ATV Forum banner

Make your own test adapters

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  LedFTed 
#1 · (Edited)
Make your own test adapters for testing sensors and other components on ATV’s.

First your will need a Female & Male harness connector, they don’t have to match. If you don’t have any — ask one of the ATV repair shop for old ones that they would thrown out.

You will need a Bobby Pin or Precision Screwdrivers set — I find the Bobby Pin works for me.
Bobby Pin is to remove the Female & Male pins from the connectors.

Solder a Female end to a Male end to make a jumper — make up 3 or 4 jumpers — leave the heat shrink so you can slide it to place your meter on it.

The adapter with the 3 Alligator connector I made that to test the Bank Angle sensor -- got carried away, all you need is 3 F & M jumper pins.

When testing a sensor unplug the sensor -- plug the required jumpers into the sensor and then back to the harness do your test.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Also some have been asking about Peak Voltage Adapter -- here build your own
The Push button is used to discharge the capacitor in the tester after use.
Your digital multlmeler should have a impedance of 10 Meg ohms/DCV minimum.

Attachments

#3 ·
Good work Mel, that’s very useful indeed.

#4 · (Edited)
i've used a bobby-pin before[hairpin], had to file off burrs on some. not every thing is of quality, even in the old days.:smile what works is what works. i used hairpin to fit in the female slot, and have a clamp thingy, i can use the probe with, with a wire connector. i want to find alligator clip that works this way..

You cant always find what you want,
So make what you need,,
"Rolling Stones"

Attachments

#7 ·
stickie

good thread.. any chance this sticky could also be in a different spot. perhaps, repair and maintenance, or another.
good mechanics, learn to adapt. maybe some others have shortcuts as well. :smile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.