boggs down when hot - Honda ATV Forum
Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
boggs down when hot

I have a 2007 rancher 420. when it get hot after riding for awhile it will bog down like ignition is cutting out. if I let it cool down it will be ok for a little while. replaced coil and plug. thought that fixed it but issue is back, thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:39 PM

Liked: 2146 times
carb atv here? if so, possibly vapor lock, maybe fuel cap breather not working right, CDI/ECU going out on you? bad oil temp sensor?

IF
EFI, maybe fuel pump going bad?
or again, bad CDI/ECU, oil temp sensor
LedFTed likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

injected, no warning lights. has a temp light. for coolant I would guess. I work as a tech at a car dealer so comparing to car symptoms. would think if ignition module would shut down and not restart. fuel pump same thing. it stays running but won't get out of it's own way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:14 PM

low compression then?
Also, oil temp sensor will SHUT motor off if it hits a certain temp in oil, or if switch is faulty!
ECU can get crazy with controlling spark and such when they start to go bad!
a failing fuel pump will NOT have enough pressure to push/feed fuel as needed!
Chalkymon likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

stays running. when it does run it rubs fine no issue. only when run for a while and is at trail temp. ECU would make sense, FRED as we call it. freecken ridicules electrical device. as we call it in the automotive business
misterclean59 likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 04:45 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7037 times
Garage
I have never seen a cdi get hot and shut down , cool down and work numerous times like that ---- but I am sure it could happen --------- I would think either a tank vent problem or the cylinder heating up , expanding and loosing compression

I wonder if you were to wrap a freeze pack or a bag of frozen vegetables around the cdi and ride it an see if it still shuts down , LOL
_Wilson_ and retro like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:05 AM

Liked: 1892 times
Garage
That's a one way to skin that cat!! Lol
fishfiles likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:18 AM

Liked: 327 times
Hi: If you haven't changed the fuel filter yet that can cause the problem -- the fuel filter is in the sub fuel tank.

2011 Honda TRX420FPA PG CTE camo EPS
Auto & Electric Shift -- IRS -- Programmed Fuel Injection
25" Kenda K587 Bear Claws HTR
Garmin Montana 600 Ram mount & Rugged mount
2500 Runva Winch
Winter Pak Plus 2/4 Zone Thumb & Hand Warmers

If all the animals run in one direction follow them.

If you can't soar with the Eagles, then run with the Chickens.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
I have never seen a cdi get hot and shut down , cool down and work numerous times like that ---- but I am sure it could happen --------- I would think either a tank vent problem or the cylinder heating up , expanding and loosing compression

I wonder if you were to wrap a freeze pack or a bag of frozen vegetables around the cdi and ride it an see if it still shuts down , LOL
Fish when my CDI went, this is exactly what it would do, had me going nuts as couldn;t figure out what was wrong, tried all the basic's , all seemed fine,
would run great then after a few minutes or so running, get HOT< fan kick on, and then run like it had no power, would stall at random, shut off, re start, let cool down, and be fine again , and repeat, or NOT.
I went nuts trying all things, replaced a bunch of things, and then finally gave up, took to dealer and had them a go at it, they had it for 3 months, too , and re did everything I did, and then, they swapped in a new CDI< and BOOM< darn thing worked like new again?
only flaw in things was dealer CHARGED me for a new OEM CDI, a few weeks later things acted up and I checked to make sure CDI was plugged in good as they didn;t put it back together right(rubber holder wasn't holding it in place??)

that's when I found out they used a aftermarket CDI< and it didn;t fit in the rubber housing to hold it in place,
I swapped it out with a NEW OEM one, and its been running like new every since(about 8yrs now)
so, funny things can happen to electronic parts IMO< and I also think aftermarket electronic's are a gamble at best, and will NOT buy them , or at least for honda 4x4 atv's!
the sport atv's seem to have better luck with em!

I have also seen fuel pumps again, loose pressure, or have erratic pressure issue's<

compression test is needed here I think!
fishfiles, _Wilson_ and Chalkymon like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:45 PM

Liked: 634 times
Run it with a spark tester connected to the spark plug and see if it is an ignition miss or something else. Tight valves can do this to. I had an XR 250 do this exact thing years ago. One of the valves was too tight.
fishfiles, _Wilson_ and retro like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in