2009 TRX420 FPM Starts and Idles Perfectly but WILL NOT REV - Honda ATV Forum
New Member Introductions If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By WillR
  • 1 Post By Melatv
  • 2 Post By WillR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 3 times
2009 TRX420 FPM Starts and Idles Perfectly but WILL NOT REV

Hello All. New Member here. PLEASE HELP!! I have searched everywhere for a solution to my problem, hopefully someone out there will be able to help. Here is my issue. The ATV in question is a 2009 Honda TRX420 FPM, FUEL INJECTED with power steering, ONLY 3300 km. The bike starts easily every time, and idles like a champ. It even revs up to about 2000 to 2500 RPM (just guessing) perfectly, HOWEVER, when I try to rev it up any higher, it starts to act like it is being starved for fuel - sputters and runs rough. If I keep giving more gas, it will slowly develop slightly higher RPMs but still sputters. If I back off the throttle quickly, it will often backfire. I have a video for anyone that needs it. PLEASE NOTE, this is FUEL INJECTED and NO ERROR CODES are being displayed on the dash. ALSO, this is a new ATV to me so I do not know the history. I didn't notice any of these symptoms when I purchase the ATV (I have owned many in my 56 years, so I kinda know what to look for). I did, however, PRESSURE WASH the quad when I got it home. Not sure if this is what caused my issue. Here is my TROUBLESHOOTING THUS FAR: 1/ Replaced fuel filter, 2/ Checked valve lash (perfect), 3/ Replaced spark plug 4/ Drained fuel tank, removed petcock and inspected filter screen (it was clean), filled with fresh gas, 5/ Checked fuel pressure (it was 50 psi at idle, similar when attempting to rev). Checked voltage to pump (was 13.8 volts) 6/ Checked voltage at battery (14.2 volts when running), 7/ Inspected PGM FI unit connections. There was a lot of mud around the unit and other relays etc, and I saw evidence of muddy residue inside connections. Cleaned the PGM FI connections, as well as the other connections, with electrical contact cleaner. 8/ Removed muffler (no change) 9/ Replaced injector with new OEM part, 10/ Replaced coil with new aftermarket coil, 11/ Replaced TP/Map sensor with used part, 12/ Cleaned all connections from engine back and re connected using dielectric grease, 13/ Cleaned main ground to frame, 14/ Removed and cleaned throttle body, 15/ Removed and inspected IACV (moved freely), 16/ Replaced PGM FI unit with used part. PLEASE NOTE: Engine seems to rev properly when petcock is closed and just before it runs out of fuel. If petcock is just cracked open just a hair (restricting fuel flow to pump), bike will rev well until it runs out of fuel. To me it appears it is getting too much fuel, which is supported by the fact the plug is black after running for a while attempting to rev. I HAVE NOW RUN OUT OF OPTIONS, AND MONEY FOR PARTS THAT DON'T WORK!! Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you all in advance. Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3207 times
Did you put an NGK spark plug in it? Champions don't work in most motors. Check the spark plug cap and boot, if there is a resistor in there it could be burnt. I would put all of the OEM Honda parts back on it (ignition coil etc.) that were swapped for china too. The TP/MAP must be reset as well, now that its been disturbed. See the attachment. Make sure the sensor in the airbox is plugged in.... Does the MIL light work? Can you hear the IACV stepper motor run for a second when you turn the key on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reset.png
Views:	4
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	139150  

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. It is an NGK plug and has been gapped as per specs. The cap and boot look fine, no cracks or anything visible. I did reset the TP/MAP sensor as per the service manual (I have a copy). The MIL light does appear to function correctly, and the air sensor is plugged in. I do hear all three sounds when the key is turned on - the fuel pump, the IACV and the fuel relay at the back. To me it seems as though it is getting too much fuel when I try to rev it (it will rev properly if the petcock is closed and just before it runs out of fuel, or if petcock is just opened a hair restricting fuel flow). The thing is, NOTHING changed even after swapping out parts one at a time, which leads me to believe these parts were not the issue. Just about ready to give up and sell it.
retro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3207 times
It sounds like the PCM is receiving severe cold weather startup data doesn't it...? In other words the PGM-FI system might be enriching the fuel mixture like you'd do on a carbed motor by choking it... in sub-zero temps. I'd check the ECT sensor condition (someone may have overheated the motor once, killing it) and its wiring/plugs all the way to the PCM. Let us know how it goes if you can.

EDIT: Test the sensor in the airbox too if you can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pgm-fi-after-08.png
Views:	2
Size:	654.4 KB
ID:	139172  

Last edited by retro; Yesterday at 05:08 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

Liked: 326 times
Hi: Did you change the fuel filter in the sub fuel tank -- that will give you that problem you are getting
SamUK likes this.

2011 Honda TRX420FPA PG CTE camo EPS
Auto & Electric Shift -- IRS -- Programmed Fuel Injection
25" Kenda K587 Bear Claws HTR
Garmin Montana 600 Ram mount & Rugged mount
2500 Runva Winch
Winter Pak Plus 2/4 Zone Thumb & Hand Warmers

If all the animals run in one direction follow them.

If you can't soar with the Eagles, then run with the Chickens.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I gave up on the quad and sold it yesterday!
Melatv and SamUK like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillR View Post
Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I gave up on the quad and sold it yesterday!
Haha, that's one solution to the problem!!

I was going to ask if you'd replaced the fuel filter on the pump, replaced the fuel line and what colour the spark plug was. It's irrelevant now but I'm still curious.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in