New guy, first ATV - Honda ATV Forum
New Member Introductions If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 27 times
New guy, first ATV

Hi everyone.

My first ATV is getting delivered to me today. A '96 TRX300FW. Seems to be in great shape. Looking forward to it.

I am using it for farm use only. Firewood, grounds maintenance, harvesting etc...

I hope it turns out to be as good and as reliable as these have a reputation for being.

I am an auto mechanic by trade, and a small engine repair man by necessity so I am not intimidated if it needs repairs.

I hope to get many good years from this machine, as it looks like it has been well cared for.

Great site with a lot of good info. Thanks.
_Wilson_ likes this.

Last edited by Cat Mandoo; 05-04-2019 at 04:58 AM. Reason: misspelled a word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:45 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6523 times
Garage
Welcome Cat'Man , 96 300 is a good one , I got 2 1/2 96s running , a 90 engine on a 96 frame is the 1/2 breed -- LOL ---one problem the 96 has is the Philips CDI goes out and does this one spark thing when the starter button is depressed ----------- there is a Rick's CDI that fits right in that 96 and will give you another 1000 rpms

figure out how to post pics yet , lets see it
_Wilson_, retro and Cat Mandoo like this.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:05 AM

Liked: 1694 times
Garage
I'm a 300 owner to 97, and a 2000 ...... They'll be with me till the day in die......lol!

Welcome to the forums!
Cat Mandoo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
Welcome Cat'Man , 96 300 is a good one , I got 2 1/2 96s running , a 90 engine on a 96 frame is the 1/2 breed -- LOL ---one problem the 96 has is the Philips CDI goes out and does this one spark thing when the starter button is depressed ----------- there is a Rick's CDI that fits right in that 96 and will give you another 1000 rpms

figure out how to post pics yet , lets see it
It's showing up later today. I'll take a few pics when it gets here.

Thanks for the encouragement for picking the right one. I don't need anything fast, or big. Don't need to go underwater. I need reliable. As I am now in my mid-50's, reliable is the main requirement in ANYTHING I buy. I went with the speed and flash when I was younger. I had the Porsches, BMW's, Corvettes etc...

Now I have a Honda cr-v and a Tacoma. Turn the key and change the oil! My kind of vehicles!
retro likes this.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:58 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1315 times
Good job. First thing would be to get a copy of the service manual. Ecopy or paper—i want a paper manual so i bought a few off the fleabay. Catch it up on all the maintenance.

Always keep a decent battery in it; keep it on a tender. Never run it with a dead battery; the stator will overwork and kill itself without a load.

Always use OEM parts; yes you’ll pay more but so many aftermarket parts fall short on reliability, fit and performance—the Rick’s piece seem to be the exception—buy them directly from Rick’s.
retro and Cat Mandoo like this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:26 AM

Liked: 10 times
Welcome to the forum!

2019 Honda Rancher TRX 420 FM
Champion 2200 lb Winch
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:16 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6523 times
Garage
[QUOTE=Cat Mandoo;As I am now in my mid-50's, reliable is the main requirement in ANYTHING I buy. I went with the speed and flash when I was younger. I had the Porsches, BMW's, Corvettes etc...
[/QUOTE]

I'm 60 ....
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:44 AM

Liked: 374 times
Garage
Congrats @Cat Mandoo. Can't wait to see the pics. And, welcome to the forum.

From past experience, I'm paranoid about buying a used ATV. Assuming it cranks, idles and does not smoke, if it were mine, I'd immediately drain the oil, examine it for metal shavings and add new oil so I'd be sure it was the correct oil. Same thing for the differentials oil. I'd check the air filter to be sure it is of good quality and if it isn't OEM, I'd replace it. LOL I'd check the oil filter and be sure it is OEM and put in correctly, not backwards. Fed by my paranoia, I'd pull off the plastics and examine the entire frame and all the wiring. And, look at the carb. Is it OEM or a cheap chinese wannabe. Then, I'd jack that puppy up and spin and rock each wheel.

As @fishfiles and @Goober said, check the battery and CDI.

It's easy to make a pig look good if you put enough lipstick and false eyelashes on him but inside he's still a pig. I was tired of being so paranoid about potential problems with my new-to-me ATV so I just added a fire extinguisher on the back rack. (joke)

Oh, I'm not telling my age.
retro and Cat Mandoo like this.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise and encouragement!

So far, I love it!

I'm going to give it a good once over, when I get the chance. Still wearing the original Goodyears with no dry rot! Very clean machine. Shifts nice, oil clean, brakes good, starts first push of the button & first kick.

I should have bought one of these when I was young and willing to get into trouble!!

Overall, first impression, I think I got a good one. Time and use will tell. But so far, as a farm utility vehicle, I am very happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0424.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	3.95 MB
ID:	136262  
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Best I could do with the pic. You get the idea!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode