New guy, first ATV - Page 4 - Honda ATV Forum
New Member Introductions If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 27 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
LOL oh yeah they do. I know people who put lug nuts on backwards, use lock nuts instead of lug nuts, and donít recognize how to install a directional tire.

About the lack of common senseĖcommon sense has to be grounded in experienceĖand quite a few people have never used tools.

Thatís whatís so great about this forumĖa large number of maintainers with wide ranges of knowledge, each sharing their version of common sense with those of us who never looked into a fuel tank, disassembled a carburetor or ripped the top off an engine.

So Iím happy when a new person signs on, wants to fix things right, buys parts without complaining about price, reaches out to help others and puts their ride in for ATV of the Month! e.g. @Wewaman, @Cat Mandoo @Hawire @MrC.
and others
There are ONLY 2 ways to do anything. The RIGHT way, and MY way!

Seriously...after years of wrenching on cars, I have found that if you are going to make an effort to fix something, at the very least, TRY to do it right.

'Cause chances are, it's going to be a PITA job. And if you have to do it again, because you got lazy, it is even more of a PITA when you have to do it AGAIN! All because you didn't do it right in the first place. Especially if they happen to be a "one time only" part.

My $0.02!
shadetree, mrbb and retro like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:02 PM

Liked: 344 times
GRT, If it's not there I'm not sure what's going on.
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:48 PM

Liked: 347 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Mandoo View Post
Honestly, I found it and bought it. It is a Honda, was made in the USA, and is a 1996. That's about it. Oh, and it is green.

I read a bunch about these TRX300FW's as being great, reliable, bullet proof machines, so that's what I went for.

It may be a rebuild, but I don't think so. But what do I know? Runs good, drives good, looks good. It will be used strictly around the farm for hauling firewood, produce, a quick ride from here to there, etc. If it breaks on me, I can tow it back to the garage with one of the big John Deere's or my pick-up.

Chances are, I'll get another 20 years out of the Goodyears!

That is all the history I can give you.

Oh, and I did break a fingernail! Only the pinky one. I'll be okay!

By the way, I saw something about the lug nuts. DO PEOPLE REALLY PUT THEM ON BACKWARDS?!?! How do you get a socket over the tapered part to put them on backwards??????
Wow, that was a great find. Seldom do you see these older ATVs in such good shape. I bet the seller was happy that you didn't ask him a lots of questions. You were his dream buyer. LOL

Of course you can put lug nuts on backwards! They go on just fine and look like they're supposed to go on that way. How do I know this? Ummmmm.........

I think I'm goin to Katmandu.......that's really really where I'm going to...
I can't get that song out of my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRideToo View Post
Quote:
Honestly, I found it and bought it. It is a Honda, was made in the USA, and is a 1996. That's about it. Oh, and it is green.

I read a bunch about these TRX300FW's as being great, reliable, bullet proof machines, so that's what I went for.

It may be a rebuild, but I don't think so. But what do I know? Runs good, drives good, looks good. It will be used strictly around the farm for hauling firewood, produce, a quick ride from here to there, etc. If it breaks on me, I can tow it back to the garage with one of the big John Deere's or my pick-up.

By the way, I saw something about the lug nuts. DO PEOPLE REALLY PUT THEM ON BACKWARDS?!?! How do you get a socket over the tapered part to put them on backwards??????
Wow, that was a great find. Seldom do you see these older ATVs in such good shape. I bet the seller was happy that you didn't ask him a lots of questions. You were his dream buyer. LOL

Of course you can put lug nuts on backwards! They go on just fine and look like they're supposed to go on that way. How do I know this? Ummmmm.........

Yeah. He saw me coming! There is a sucker born every minute, and why shouldn't/couldn't/wouldn't it be me?

Hey, I'm just doing my part to keep the economy moving and strong. Plus, I went to the Honda dealer and bought oils, a filter, o rings etc...

I also bought a factory repair manual off of eBay. I'm going to buy a utility cart for it. And of course, all that ethanol free gas that I am willing to pay an extra $0.50/per gallon for so I don't have to mess with the carb like I had to for years on ALL my other power equipment before the gas station went to non-ethanol.

All those replacement carbs get expensive after a while, especially the old Briggs & Kohler's if you can find them!!!

Just doing my part!

I am AMAZING!
post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:59 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6291 times
Garage
non-ethanal is a good decision , if were two dollars more per gallon I would still get it ------ something you are missing , a battery maintainer is a good investment , will make the battery last longer , have more reserve and it will always be ready to fire up
mrbb and Cat Mandoo like this.
post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4208 times
Garage
Quote:
Quote:

you know I just gotta ask !!..lol, ummmm..seeing how I know you could or did put the lug nuts on backwards ?..i'm guessing you just put them on backwards by hand ?, becauseeeeeeeeee..if you try to put an impact socket on them ?, you can't do this because of the way they are flared ?, sooooo..i'm just guessing it was just by hand ?. yes..this can be done, but not very tight !...lol.
Cat Mandoo likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
Quote:

you know I just gotta ask !!..lol, ummmm..seeing how I know you could or did put the lug nuts on backwards ?..i'm guessing you just put them on backwards by hand ?, becauseeeeeeeeee..if you try to put an impact socket on them ?, you can't do this because of the way they are flared ?, sooooo..i'm just guessing it was just by hand ?. yes..this can be done, but not very tight !...lol.
I actually own a large assortment of 6 point impact sockets, and one 17mm round impact socket for just such a purpose. It works pretty good. $1.99 at Harbor Freight. It only works for installing tapered lug nuts backwards. Who'd a thunk there'd be a market for such a thing? Works good. Worth every penny!

Page 11-7 in the "official" repair manual tells you how to properly install the nuts with the "curved side facing inwards".

Who pays attention to details like that? It's my ATV. Right or wrong, I'll install MY lug nuts any way I want to!

LedFTed likes this.
post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:01 PM

Liked: 1875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
non-ethanal is a good decision , if were two dollars more per gallon I would still get it ------ something you are missing , a battery maintainer is a good investment , will make the battery last longer , have more reserve and it will always be ready to fire up
yeah till you get a bad maintainer and it goes nuts and fry's a whole bunch of electrical things, ASK me how I know this LOL
post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:30 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6291 times
Garage
I got 10 maintainers running right now and really need about 3 more , I have had them conk out , but never do damage to what ever it was hooked to --- I can buy 3 maintainers for the cost of one good battery , since using tenders I have not been buying as many batteries
retro likes this.
post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
I got 10 maintainers running right now and really need about 3 more , I have had them conk out , but never do damage to what ever it was hooked to --- I can buy 3 maintainers for the cost of one good battery , since using tenders I have not been buying as many batteries
got any solar ones. i got a 6v solar for the lectric fence, i dont see why it cant be converted to 12v.
it did cost a c-note, but i aint using it at the moment.
it takes a certain kind of skill, to install lug nuts backwards. i wont elaborate.
mrbb and Cat Mandoo like this.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have to though, to match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 05-08-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode