picture size - Page 12 - Honda ATV Forum
Hondaatvforums.net Site Help and Support Notice an issue with your account or the site? Post here for help.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:41 AM
Administrator
Supporting Member

Liked: 146 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRideToo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VS_Goose View Post
I figured out the issue. On classic skin you're using ATV Photos, on Full skin you're using Gallery. They are not the same function.

In both Full and Classic skin you need to use Gallery (Full Skin) and Albums (Classic skin)

The ATV Photos is a separate classic only page which could not be transferred over during conversion as that plugin and layout was not compatible with it.

As for the problem itself, it looks to be due to the size of the images themselves, in which we would have to shrink them down to better fit the layout. Do you want us to go ahead at looking into that?
Hello Goose, thank you for looking into this issue because it seems many users are having problems and are confused about uploading images. Put me in the confused category related to your solution.

I just spent some time looking at the site in both Full and Classic views. Until today I had never used Classic view.

I am going to say some things that you already know, but I state them for the reader.

I find it difficult to believe that the two views could differ in their navigational structure. Classic view causes confusion by the addition of a "ATV Photos" and "Community" links on the top toolbar. A drop down from the "Community" link gives the option of "Pictures and Albums".
Full View does not show the above Links and shows only a "Gallery" link.

If the designer was unable to "transfer" the "ATV Photos" to the new version of this site, why not simply rename the page so people know not to attempt to post to it, for crying out loud. You could call it "archived" or "old" with an explanation at the top of the page that it is no longer active. This is the most elementary thing to do. Just leaving the page sitting there is the least professional thing to do.

In Full View, Gallery links to /All Albums.php. This page is controlled by a different style sheet. It shows no statistics or calendar but does manage to show the Hot Deals frame on the right

In Classic View the “ATV Photos” links to /gallery/. If you remain on this page and switch back to Full View it redirects to /gallery/?style=17 and you DO see the statistics and calendar. That should not happen.

I won’t go any further about all the convoluted pages.

It is obvious that someone has neglected to integrate the pages in Classic View into the Full View structure. There is no excuse or that.

Selecting a “viewing skin” should only give the user a specified appearance to the page; not a different navigational structure. If this cannot be accomplished with the current "conversion" style then you need to eliminate the choice of skin and have only one view. You should maintain a working mobile view, obviously.

Has anyone thought of running a validation tool on this site? LMAO. These are errors even a novice designer should not make. A user should not be forced to switch back and forth between skins to try to figure out which link to use to upload or attach a photo. You need either a Gallery with sub navigation, OR ATV Photos OR Pic & Albums…… not all of this craziness.

My 2cents.
When the conversion happened, some elements couldnt be transferred over. As the Atv photos page/plugin was not compatible, it was left as is for those who prefer to use the classic view. This was a conversion to a new skin, and not an update of the old one.

Uploading an image works fine. You either upload directly into a post, or the gallery. Which 'gallery' depends on which skin you're using.

The classic skin should have been removed after the conversion, but it was kept as some may not enjoy the full skin and wish to go back. However, we will not remove skins as an option.

If its causing such confusion and issues, we can simply remove it from the classic skin Navbar but we'll need to discuss that with the mod team.

Account or Site issue? Post here: https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...-help-support/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:21 PM

Liked: 352 times
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRideToo View Post
Quote:
I figured out the issue. On classic skin you're using ATV Photos, on Full skin you're using Gallery. They are not the same function.

In both Full and Classic skin you need to use Gallery (Full Skin) and Albums (Classic skin)

The ATV Photos is a separate classic only page which could not be transferred over during conversion as that plugin and layout was not compatible with it.

As for the problem itself, it looks to be due to the size of the images themselves, in which we would have to shrink them down to better fit the layout. Do you want us to go ahead at looking into that?
Hello Goose, thank you for looking into this issue because it seems many users are having problems and are confused about uploading images. Put me in the confused category related to your solution.

I just spent some time looking at the site in both Full and Classic views. Until today I had never used Classic view.

I am going to say some things that you already know, but I state them for the reader.

I find it difficult to believe that the two views could differ in their navigational structure. Classic view causes confusion by the addition of a "ATV Photos" and "Community" links on the top toolbar. A drop down from the "Community" link gives the option of "Pictures and Albums".
Full View does not show the above Links and shows only a "Gallery" link.

If the designer was unable to "transfer" the "ATV Photos" to the new version of this site, why not simply rename the page so people know not to attempt to post to it, for crying out loud. You could call it "archived" or "old" with an explanation at the top of the page that it is no longer active. This is the most elementary thing to do. Just leaving the page sitting there is the least professional thing to do.

In Full View, Gallery links to /All Albums.php. This page is controlled by a different style sheet. It shows no statistics or calendar but does manage to show the Hot Deals frame on the right

In Classic View the “ATV Photos” links to /gallery/. If you remain on this page and switch back to Full View it redirects to /gallery/?style=17 and you DO see the statistics and calendar. That should not happen.

I won’t go any further about all the convoluted pages.

It is obvious that someone has neglected to integrate the pages in Classic View into the Full View structure. There is no excuse or that.

Selecting a “viewing skin” should only give the user a specified appearance to the page; not a different navigational structure. If this cannot be accomplished with the current "conversion" style then you need to eliminate the choice of skin and have only one view. You should maintain a working mobile view, obviously.

Has anyone thought of running a validation tool on this site? LMAO. These are errors even a novice designer should not make. A user should not be forced to switch back and forth between skins to try to figure out which link to use to upload or attach a photo. You need either a Gallery with sub navigation, OR ATV Photos OR Pic & Albums…… not all of this craziness.

My 2cents.
When the conversion happened, some elements couldnt be transferred over. As the Atv photos page/plugin was not compatible, it was left as is for those who prefer to use the classic view. This was a conversion to a new skin, and not an update of the old one.

Uploading an image works fine. You either upload directly into a post, or the gallery. Which 'gallery' depends on which skin you're using.

The classic skin should have been removed after the conversion, but it was kept as some may not enjoy the full skin and wish to go back. However, we will not remove skins as an option.

If its causing such confusion and issues, we can simply remove it from the classic skin Navbar but we'll need to discuss that with the mod team.
Goose, I love your willingness and efforts to be of assistance to users of this board. You and I just seem to be looking at the issue differently. I have offered my thoughts on improving usability rather than finding a fix to the problem.

Yes, uploading an image works just fine for me, but scattered across three threads are post from members with upload issues. Your instructions for using different methods for different "skins" should prove useful to them. But, what about new visitors to the site. Will they be able to figure this out? The FAQ page needs to be updated to reflect your procedure.

Enough said. I'm putting a leash on my dog and taking him home.
LedFTed and retro like this.
post #113 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Supporting Member

Liked: 146 times
Garage
Sure, we can look at creating some FAQ info on it. Would you like to assist as well? If not, I can draft up something.

What would be added:

The difference between ATV photos, Albums, and Gallery, across the skins.

The different upload procedures (Insert Images vs. Attachment Manager vs. Uploading to the above vs. Mobile Uploads)

A more drastic approach would be to remove ATV Photos and have everyone move their images over to Gallery instead.

Input?

Account or Site issue? Post here: https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...-help-support/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 416 times
i learned a lot from this thread. with my delexia syntax, i best not teach it. people will be spinning around like an eddy, in a stream trying to figure what i said.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have to though, to match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
post #115 of 115 (permalink) Old Today, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 416 times
album; carb

after 3 yrs, i finally got my picture of carb here, using linux. they are to small. not only that, the last picture is first, the first is last. i started with the 1st picture, when i uploaded.
somehow this seems biblical, the 1st shall be last, the last shall be 1st. Oh Well. hard to make a comment on what i cant see, with those pictures. least they are good tiny shots. i can almost make out some of them. i cant remember if i used a photo resizer, or just converted jpg to pg.
plus the pictures dont go across, as in an album. they are vertical. so it goes..

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have to though, to match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Hondaatvforums.net Site Help and Support

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode