'03 450es - Honda ATV Forum
Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

2Likes
  • 2 Post By fishfiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 3 times
'03 450es

I've been working on this bike off and on for a couple years. Finally got around to rebuilding the front final gear. However, since disassembly, I've moved and somehow permanently misplaced the shims that go on both sides of the final gear assembly (#19) https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partsli..._1200_5dd2.gif and found here in several different thicknesses https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-trx450fe...t/F__1200.html
I have replaced the ring and pinion and there are new bearings throughout (even the pita needle bearing). I'm wanting to know what thickness shim should I start out with in setting the backlash since I have to buy new ones anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

^^^^^bump^^^^^
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 03:16 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7009 times
Garage
I think you are going to have a hard time with that one trying to get it perfect , I never looked at how many shims are available for the front, the rear has like 15 different thicknesses , might be easier and cost you less to just find another diff ----- if you are close to Louisiana , I have 2 of the 2002-2004 electric shift front diffs sitting on the shelf , would sell for $200 each , both come with 2 speed sensors and actuators
Jeepwm69 and _Wilson_ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

I do appreciate the offer, it's a fair price. However, I have right at $200 in the new ring and pinion already. That isn't counting the bearing and seal kit and the spool locker. If I hadn't already bought all the parts, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I'm in no hurry because I have a few other bikes to ride so I think I'll just grab two of each of the shims and send back the ones I don't need after getting it right. That's the only option I see thus far. If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks for looking and any input.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 05:30 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7009 times
Garage
I guess you know by now , there are 23 different thicknesses of the shims , then it could take a different size on each side , that makes for a lot of combinations and they cost $7.29 a piece and some are no longer available

I swopped my electric engage front diff in my 2002 450 to a 1st gen 450 that was full time and then added a 4x2 kick out , also added washers to make it a semi-locker
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 08:43 AM

Liked: 3308 times
I know some of the 300 rear diff rebuild kits come with a lot of very thin metal shims, with the idea that you could stack several to get the necessary thickness. I would see if you can source a bunch of very thin shims and stack to get the required depth.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode