Brakes STILL not working properly! - Honda ATV Forum
Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 11 times
Brakes STILL not working properly!

Hello,

I have not used my 1986 Honda trx350 for a while and it’s just been sitting. Today I needed to use it for some utility work around the house and noticed that the brakes were still dragging a little from when I adjusted the brakes. As the driving went on the dragging wore off and the farther I had to pull the lever. When I was done for the day the brakes were not dragging anymore and I have to now pull the lever all the way to get the brakes to come on just a bit.

I took a vice grip and put it on the clutch side front brake line and pulled the brake, the left mag side tire wouldn’t move and it was hard to pull the lever. When I put the line on the mag side brake line I still had to pull it about half way.

It’s seems as if I can’t push enough fluid through or there’s not enough pressure. I remember about 6 months ago I rebuilt both of my brake cylinders on the clutch side front brake, I also remember not remembering what way the inner seal goes in and put it in a way that looked the best. I forget what way I put the seal but if I put it in backwards could this be my problem? what way does the seal go in?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3059 times
If you put a wheel cylinder piston seal on backwards fluid gets forced past that seal... so you'd see a gusher every time you apply the brakes. So thats not the problem... it probably has air in the system that needs to be bled out. Or the brake shoes need to be adjusted tighter on that side. Or the master cylinder is junk.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
If you put a wheel cylinder piston seal on backwards fluid gets forced past that seal... so you'd see a gusher every time you apply the brakes. So thats not the problem... it probably has air in the system that needs to be bled out. Or the brake shoes need to be adjusted tighter on that side. Or the master cylinder is junk.
I’ve already tried all of that at least three times. I pinched the line before the master cylinder and on the two lines near the tire and the lever would not move both times, does That mean the master cylinder is good?. I have bled the brakes and pumped new DOT3 fluid in each time so there is no air in the system. Don’t think I have the brakes adjusted wrong because both the sides were dragging a good amount so as it wore off wouldn’t they get to about the same distance on each side.

Next time it rains I’ll try to bleed the brakes again then adjust the brakes on each side again, hopefully after the fourth time it’ll work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

It sounds like the master cylinder is fine. That leaves brake shoe adjustments and air in the system as the two most likely remaining possibles.

Do you use two clear vinyl hoses on the loosened bleeder (teflon tape wrapped threads prevent air from re-entering around those loosened bleeders) nipples, looped over the top of the knuckles with those hose ends submerged in a small amount of brake fluid in the bottom of two small containers? If not, try it next time you bleed the brakes, you'll like it!
LedFTed likes this.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:10 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6677 times
Garage
....I have seen where it gets rusted inside the brake hose fitting and creates a blockage... disconnect the fitting at the brake and pump it , see if a good flow is coming out
LedFTed likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1990 times
Adjust the shoes until there solid against the drums and bleed the system again. Bleeding Honda brakes is a real pain in the butt! To me it sounds like you have air in the system. I’ve had terrible luck bleeding my old 300 brakes and then great luck bleeding my 450 brakes. I’ve always used dot 4 fluid and bled a side at a time
_Wilson_ likes this.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2” lift kit, 28” mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22” LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:17 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 453 times
Bleeding those breaks, is bout a two man job, or two ladies. PC talk.
[politically correct]

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:21 PM

Liked: 1757 times
Garage
Dead wrong Ted, It's one man job!

I reckon some lack in mechanical skill .......

1986 fourtrax trx350, 97 300 fwd.
Fully customizing a 1999 fourtrax 300 fwd.
<<<< Garages.
Oct 15th, Dale Earnhardt jr. Day

Wilson™ aka Termite
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
....I have seen where it gets rusted inside the brake hose fitting and creates a blockage... disconnect the fitting at the brake and pump it , see if a good flow is coming out
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamUK View Post
Adjust the shoes until there solid against the drums and bleed the system again. Bleeding Honda brakes is a real pain in the butt! To me it sounds like you have air in the system. I’ve had terrible luck bleeding my old 300 brakes and then great luck bleeding my 450 brakes. I’ve always used dot 4 fluid and bled a side at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFTed View Post
Bleeding those breaks, is bout a two man job, or two ladies. PC talk.
[politically correct]
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson_ View Post
Dead wrong Ted, It's one man job!

I reckon some lack in mechanical skill .......

Huh, never though of air going back into the system, will use some Teflon tape to seal the nipple next time. Will also try the hose and bottle.

Don’t think it’s a blockage because wouldn’t the lever become more stiff? If nothing else works I’ll try it though.

I’ve always pumped my lever than released the nipple instead of adjusting them out but will do that this time.

One hand on the lever and one hand on the wrench, that’s the way I do it at least!

Thank you everyone for the quick and helpful responses!
_Wilson_ and SamUK like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Each shoe has to be adjusted out tight against the drum as SamUK mentioned, else air stays inside the wheel cylinders when bled.
_Wilson_ and SamUK like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode