1995 300FW - Loose Axle - Honda ATV Forum
Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 276 times
Garage
1995 300FW - Loose Axle

Back in 2015 I worked on the rear end of this machine. Had to get an aftermarket brake panel as well as a brake panel cover. Before I had consulted you guys here, I went ahead and bought some bearings/seals for the differential and brake panel. @shadetree clearly told me to not buy AllBalls as they were junk; it was too late my order was already placed.

Fast forward 4 years later, I hear a very faint grinding noise under the bike. Grinding probably isn't the correct term here, it's so faint you can barely notice it and only occurs when the bike is slightly twisting in between bumps. Now I clearly remember shadetree's advice and over the years I've read how he feels towards chinese junk - totally understand him as well. When I first purchased these parts I couldn't rub two pennies together; I had just bought a house and a woodlot.

I put the bike up on a step in order to verify what was going on. Here's what I found:

I can't get it to move front/backwards but upwards and downwards I can move it. Flushed the oil from the diff and there was no water. Still had oil in it.

I'm guessing a tear down is in store... Forgot to mention, I don't do any boating with it. I cross small mud spots in the trail and try to fix them up as much as possible as to minimize mud with the machine. Worst part of the year is the month of May. Mud never reaches the foot pegs though.
_Wilson_ likes this.

'95 TRX300FW

Last edited by machinecrook; 06-10-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:41 PM

Liked: 3088 times
Bearings are shot. Take it apart, put new bearings in before things wear any more and it destroys the gears.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:53 PM

Liked: 1699 times
Garage
A tad off topic, but That's the way to post! Details, DETAILS...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@Jeepwm69
Gahh not done my wood yet. I understand the urgency to fix this though... Balls! I mean, AllBalls are junk.

@_Wilson_
Thanks I try to make it as clear as possible
_Wilson_ likes this.

'95 TRX300FW
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I can't seem to see the part #21 for the brake panel on partszilla. Seems to be a seal. I'll be replacing the bearings and seals while I'm at it. Don't want to have more downtime with my bike which means I'm not going to trust any other part in the kit I bought 4 years ago... Except the brake panel

Here's what I have planned for my purchase (crossing my fingers that nothing is wrong with the pinion bearing):
Rear Diff
Brake Panel
Only missing the part I mentioned at the begining of the post. Not sure I need the ring seal for the brake panel... Only a couple bucks so it's not so bad. I'm into it for a little over 150$... Do we have any discount with this forum on Partszilla? Perhaps someone knows of another site or a good quality kit for my exact situation?

'95 TRX300FW
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:39 PM

Liked: 436 times
Before I order any new bearings and seals I cross reference them at the local parts house. LOTS of times I can buy Timken for the same price or less then OEM.

just a thought.
Jeepwm69 and _Wilson_ like this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:41 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6541 times
Garage
All Balls makes me feel like I got tea bagged

Pivot Works has good bearings and seals , lifetime warranty 1 time , I would say they are better than OEM bearings , and I play in the water , sand and clay , it is $53 for this kit link below with free shipping --

don't skimp on changing that lower pinion bearing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pivot-Works...MK5hnd-kjiX18Q
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:14 AM

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...ml#post1263850

I have had good results with Boss thus far, and also with Pivotworks. I'm not a fan of all balls.

That said, I have a sneaking suspicion that they're all coming out of the same place.

Pivotworks and All Balls are both owned by the same company. The Pivotworks have held up much better for me, but I think All Balls is their bargain line, and Pivotworks is the "little better but more expensive" line.

OEM will be Koyo or NTN, so if you want to do it once, I'd just OEM bearings. If you don't mind the job (it's pretty easy other than that inner pinion bearing) then you could save some money on a Boss or Pivotworks kit, and since you aren't a water rider they might last a long time.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys.

The biggest pain in the butt for me is taking off those axle nuts. I don't have the tools to do it. I remember seeing @fishfiles having a specific tool for that job... Still got that pic?

I might just bite the bullet and buy me some big wrenches that fit on those nuts.
fishfiles and _Wilson_ like this.

'95 TRX300FW
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinecrook View Post
Thanks guys.

The biggest pain in the butt for me is taking off those axle nuts. I don't have the tools to do it. I remember seeing @fishfiles having a specific tool for that job... Still got that pic?

I might just bite the bullet and buy me some big wrenches that fit on those nuts.
I'm sure some of the "proper tool for the job" guys will wince at this, but I've found that my big Rigid pipe wrenches do the job. I've gotten away from stock 300/420 rear ends, so didn't see the need to buy/make a long impact socket to use on those nuts.
fishfiles likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in