1995 300FW - Loose Axle - Page 4 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

44Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:45 PM

Liked: 19 times
I second the pipe wrench method for the axle nuts. I had the same issue but mine was much worse... I traded a bow for the quad and didn't even notice it until i got home 2 1/2 hour drive and rode it down the road and the rear end locked up. I test rode it for about 10minutes before i left and somehow it hung in there! Would have taken it home anyways. lol.. I rebuilt the rear diff but i could have gotten away with just bearings and seals. Believe it or not my axle was toast because of the slop in it and i had to buy a new one but my ring and pinion were in as good a shape as the new set i bought.

My quest for answers led me to the shadetree of wisdom....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Liked: 290 times
Garage
@Yesternow21 hehe Yep sounds exactly like what happend to me. When I first bought it the bike would turn but the rear wheels would stay straight-ish. Man-o-man was there ever some slop in there. I remember wanting to replace the ring gear and axle back then but had no cash. Also, I used a b.f pipe wrench with a pipe extender and a 2ft westcott to remove the nuts. Went pretty good.

'95 TRX300FW
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Unread 07-23-2019, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Will be in need of a needle bearing for my pinion. Ordered one from a '98 since they don't seem to sell them separately for a '95 TRX300FW. I was able to salvage the old pinion bearing and slap it on the new pinion. Rolls fine, no wobble or nothing. Since I don't have any special tools to tighten down the pinion nut on the pinion joint; how do you guys go about tigthening it?

Click the image to open in full size.

I wasn't worried to take it apart with the old one since the old pinion was trashed. I put a rag around the teeth and put it into a vice. Then I was able to take the nut and joint off of the pinion. Wasn't sure if I should take the chance incase the metal was brittle?

Extra pics:
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

'95 TRX300FW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Unread 07-23-2019, 06:42 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6951 times
Garage
Some stick a rag in the teeth , or put the axle thru the diff , clamp the axle in a vise , let the housing rotate so it hit the table and it will jam it up

I made a tool , coping it from the manual , took about 30 minutes , a cutting off the end of an old drive shaft and a plate of steel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c6.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	138496   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_162.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	138498  
machinecrook and _Wilson_ like this.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Unread 07-23-2019, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Nice tool! I don't have a plate, an old drive shaft or a welder. I guess I'll go with the rag way! Thanks

'95 TRX300FW
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Unread 07-31-2019, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Swing Arm
I received some parts yesterday; really takes a long time before I can get anything shipped! One thing that caught my eye was the pivot bearings. They were not the same as the previous ones I had. A few years ago I had ordered them from the Honda dealer close to my place. They look different (new vs old):

The one in my hand is the new one. I cleaned up the old one to show the difference.
Click the image to open in full size.

Regardless of the difference, I packed up the grease holder and bearing with grease and pressed'er in. Slapped in the pivot bearing dust seals and installed the swing arm on the bike. Forgot to take a pic of that. My buddy is supposed to grab his torque wrench from the garage so I'll be able to torque these to spec. I can safely say there is no more slop in sideways movement!

Final Drive
I went and installed the pinion oil seal before I installed the lock nut on the pinion. DOH! Had to remove that seal and well... Buggered it up a bit so I don't want to put that back in. Ordered a new one and it should be in by Friday. Proceeded to press in the bearings and test out the backlash with the new ring gear. There isn't enough! It seems too tight to me. My largest shim is 1.76mm which has barely any play in it. The other one is 1.45mm and that has no play at all. I'll call the dealer later and see if they have any 2mm shims in stock.

Goes without saying I wasn't happy with myself on that pinion oil seal...

'95 TRX300FW
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Unread 07-31-2019, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4360 times
Garage
1 1/2 x 1 1/2 square tubbing, stuck down into the large lock nut will work, with a large pipe wrench, I have done it this way for many years before I bought the socket that removes the large lock nut. some ring and pinion gear kits from after market ( china brands ) come with this spec socket.
machinecrook likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Unread 07-31-2019, 12:57 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6951 times
Garage
I have seen both types of bearing used for the swing arm , tapered or roller bearing , both will work
machinecrook likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in