Spark Plug Recommendation - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2768 times
It sounds like you are fine with compression since it doesn't use a bit of oil. I wouldn't put any money into more tools to get better accuracy, just adjust the valves and check the timing chain by yanking the slack adjuster and see how much plunger length remains.

As @misterclean59 mentioned, you'll probably find a worn jet needle and holder/needle jet in the carb making it run rich above idle speed. A Shindy kit will have everything you'll need... can't remember if you get a new needle and holder in those kits though...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 57 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
It sounds like you are fine with compression since it doesn't use a bit of oil. I wouldn't put any money into more tools to get better accuracy, just adjust the valves and check the timing chain by yanking the slack adjuster and see how much plunger length remains.
As @misterclean59 mentioned, you'll probably find a worn jet needle and holder/needle jet in the carb making it run rich above idle speed. A Shindy kit will have everything you'll need... can't remember if you get a new needle and holder in those kits though...
Can you simply take the 2 bolts out of the adjuster, remove it, and put it back? Or do you need adjust it?

I’ll check out the shindy kits. The carb parts are kind of pricy piece by piece from Honda.
retro likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2768 times
Take the small plug bolt out of the end of the adjuster 1st. 8mm socket gets it I think? Then roll the motor over by hand in its normal direction of rotation until it is on the compression stroke. All four valves will be closed and there will be no load on the camshaft at this point. Do NOT turn the motor over backwards at any time, not ever.

Then take the two bolts out of the adjuster and remove it from the cylinder. The adjuster will auto-extend to its maximum length under its own spring pressure as you pull it away from the cylinder. Once it is out simply hold it back against the chain guide firmly with your fingers, as if you were gonna reinstall it.

Now make a note of the distance between the adjuster gasket and cylinder. Any gap 3/8" or narrower indicates that the chain is completely worn out and should be replaced immediately. Between 3/8" and 7/16" means ya got a bit of time to make plans and order in all of the parts. 1/2" or more gap means the chain and guides are still in good condition.

To reassemble it, use a narrow flat blade screwdriver (inserted in the hole in the end where you removed the small plug) to crank the tensioner back in to its shortest length, then stick a piece of mechanics wire in alongside that screw to jam it temporarily to hold the tension back while you reinstall the two mounting bolts. The service manual shows ya how to use that trick... Once you've got the two bolts snugged up insert your screwdriver again and release the wire that you jammed in there. The tensioner should auto-extend back out against the chain guide rapidly, you'll hear it.

Final two steps, rotate the crank again by hand in the normal direction for at least two complete turns. Then put the plug back into the end of the tensioner and snug it up.

Done. :-)
misterclean59 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Take the small plug bolt out of the end of the adjuster 1st. 8mm socket gets it I think? Then roll the motor over by hand in its normal direction of rotation until it is on the compression stroke. All four valves will be closed and there will be no load on the camshaft at this point. Do NOT turn the motor over backwards at any time, not ever.

Then take the two bolts out of the adjuster and remove it from the cylinder. The adjuster will auto-extend to its maximum length under its own spring pressure as you pull it away from the cylinder. Once it is out simply hold it back against the chain guide firmly with your fingers, as if you were gonna reinstall it.

Now make a note of the distance between the adjuster gasket and cylinder. Any gap 3/8" or narrower indicates that the chain is completely worn out and should be replaced immediately. Between 3/8" and 7/16" means ya got a bit of time to make plans and order in all of the parts. 1/2" or more gap means the chain and guides are still in good condition.

To reassemble it, use a narrow flat blade screwdriver (inserted in the hole in the end where you removed the small plug) to crank the tensioner back in to its shortest length, then stick a piece of mechanics wire in alongside that screw to jam it temporarily to hold the tension back while you reinstall the two mounting bolts. The service manual shows ya how to use that trick... Once you've got the two bolts snugged up insert your screwdriver again and release the wire that you jammed in there. The tensioner should auto-extend back out against the chain guide rapidly, you'll hear it.

Final two steps, rotate the crank again by hand in the normal direction for at least two complete turns. Then put the plug back into the end of the tensioner and snug it up.

Done. :-)
Thank you for the details, retro. I appreciate it. I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance.
misterclean59 and retro like this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:59 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 415 times
non-ethanol gas

your dad is correct about not using ethanol gas. using ethanol gas, despite the warnings,
i dont have a definition for that.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have to though, to match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFTed View Post
your dad is correct about not using ethanol gas. using ethanol gas, despite the warnings,
i dont have a definition for that.
Yeah, he won't put it in anything except his daily driver autos. For everything else he uses treated non-ethanol. I try to be the same way, but I'll run ethanol sometimes when I'm in a pinch and intend to use it up pretty quickly.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:12 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 415 times
ethanol-gas.

its more important, to have non-ethanol, when using atv's, weed whackers, an chainsaws.
newer car's are designed to run on the junk. putting real gas in a newer car, or, what ever, can cause damage.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have to though, to match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode