• 1 Post By mac102004

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 267 times
Garage
PC Auto-Tune

Just purchased a AT-200. Looking for info on where to drill the header, to install the bung for the O2 sensor.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton Stealth Bumper and 11/16" sway bar
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, OMF Wheels & GBC tires, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Utility Rack & Desert II Front Bumper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Another member in club700xx sent me this.Click the image to open in full size.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton Stealth Bumper and 11/16" sway bar
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, OMF Wheels & GBC tires, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Utility Rack & Desert II Front Bumper.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3154 times
If I had to make that decision on my own I'd mount the sensor further downstream in a straight section of header just upstream about 5-6 inches from where that header dumps into the muffler. Your pipe shape and available space around the header might not allow an optimum sensor location though. As a general guide on a single cylinder motor with a single pipe exhaust you'll want to insert an EGT or O2 sensor nearest to the end of the primary pipe.

Never insert a sensor into a bend if you can help it because the sensor will not be exposed to a uniform flow column. The exhaust gases attain their highest temperature and expansion rate, and maximum stabilization of gases right at the primary pipe exit. This assumes that the primary pipe length and diameter are optimum matches for the motor. :-)

So, for example if you insert a sensor upstream midway in the pipe you'll get inaccurate, inconsistent and dirty readings in that underdeveloped column of gases. Its real dirty up there in most throttle positions/torque loads... its still consuming oxygen, still continuing combustion and producing heat and still expanding, so column density/distribution of gas' molecules is decreasing rapidly as the gas' velocity increases... thats a very unstable environment for data gathering.

Grab your data where its most stabilized at its maximum temp if ya can. You can find that sweet spot for data gathering in the primary pipe (single cylinder only, multiple primaries data gathering location is inside the collector) with an EGT sensor.
ATC4ever likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:32 AM

Liked: 2049 times
Garage
I would focus firstly on where you can put the sensor bung where it will be easy to install and remove the sensor, rather than what position is optimal for the sensor to function. I'm not saying that is not important but on ATV's in general space is tight and there is usually only a few places they will even fit.

On my Renegade I have 2 bungs welded on the head pipes (2 cylinder, I can tune each separately) they are not where I'd put them as a first choice but they are where they would fit. I think if I had it over I'd just put a single bung further downstreram past the collector and forget about doing a dual cylinder tune but that doesn't really apply here. lol
retro likes this.

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 28" Mud Bugs
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:19 AM

Liked: 222 times
Garage
Stock machine O2s are closer to the muffler, so i would use that as a guide.

JESUS is Lord.
Its not the machine so much as it was the "times". 1983.
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQrThtnGqA
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Thanks guys for all the info. Only other thing I've read, was 9" from header flange? I wasnt sure what they ment by flange, where it meets the motor or mid pipe?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3154 times
Downstream near the end of the header pipe in a straight section is usually the best location. But it might be difficult or impractical to tap into the pipe since its usually quite tight back there, as Mac explained. The ideal location can only be found by probing with an EGT, especially true on stock-type bolt-on pipes that are not optimal performers to begin with.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode