01 300Ex- no spark - Honda ATV Forum
Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

01 300Ex- no spark

My 300ex just won't come alive this spring. Turns over, and can sometimes get it to fire for a second, and then nothing. Spark issue- if it sits for a bit I seem to get a rotation or 2 of spark, and then no spark. Tried brand new plug, and another coil I had on the shelf- still the same. Bought a used but tested cdi- still the same. I'm getting 12V to the cdi- so I believe key switch, kill switch, reverse switch are all working. Unplugged the 3 wire plug coming from pulse generator, wires all have continuity to the cdi. Unplugged and reseated all conector, including cdi and reverse inhibitor. Reverse inhibitor seems to be working- won't turn over when in reverse, won't turn over in gear unless clutch activated, reverse and neutral indicator lights working. There is not much left to check except for stator/pulse generator. Not sure how prone these are to go bad. I'd hate to go through the work to replace, unless I know for sure the issue lies there. Any other suggestions out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:15 PM

Liked: 12 times
In reading Your post there is one comment that stands out to Me " Bought a used but tested cdi " !

New OEM cdi is $110.55 .
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Of course, that is always the worry with used parts. I did make significant break through last night. I decided to take a dead blow hammer and give a couple of light whacks to the stator cover. Low and behold, I started getting spark, and got the machine running! Ran a couple minutes and then died. It has lost spark again. Whacked the stator cover, and again started getting spark again. Sounds like something going on under that cover, either wire, stator, or pulse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Still struggling with this POS-
When turning over, I get a couple sparks, and then nothing. Come back later, maybe get a few sparks again, then nothing. The plug had only been used for maybe 5-6 rides, was new last year, but tried a new plug and no help. Replaced cdi box with 2 other boxes, one used and one brand new, still no help. Tried 2 other coils, one used and one brand new, still no help. Tried another pulse generator and stator (both used)- no help. All 3 coils measure properly per the service manual. I put the original cdi and the used one in a 97 300ex, and they both work fine. Both pulse generators and both stators measure properly per the service manual. Took measurements right at the cdi plugs to also test wiring. I'm getting 12V on blue/white wire right at the cdi, the 12V supply is lost when either the kill switch or key switch is open, so I believe both switches are working. Green wire is grounding properly when not in reverse, and opens when in reverse. I even disconnected the wire at the reverse switch and grounded it to be sure. I'm about out of things to test or replace at this point. Any further ideas? There is just not much to the ignition circuit, so this is getting frustrating.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in