Idle air control valve? - Honda ATV Forum
Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
DUK

Idle air control valve?

Looking at the pic below, do you see a problem. I replaced the old one because it looks to be stuck open, is that what the pic shows?

My rancher would not idle once warmed up. I haven't been able to check it since we have the rearend out, but hope to tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140624_183825016.jpg
Views:	3481
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	19360  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
DUK

Well that didn't work....

Any more ideas guys? I've replaced the injector, idle air control valve and the intake temp. sensor. I've checked the wiring somewhat, but need to find a diagram and really get into it. Any suggestions of areas to look first?

Thanx, Duke
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
DUK

I just realized my signature didn't attach.

This is on a '07 420 A.

'07 Rancher 420 A w/12" ITPs and 25" Mud Bugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 08:21 AM

Liked: 4 times
Is the FI light flashing any codes? Some other possibilities: clogged fuel filter inside fuel pump, try replacing spark plug, bad throttle position sensor, throttle body throat caked with carbon build up, valve clearances need adjustment(.15mm int/.22mm exh).

1996 Foreman 400 FW, 2007 420FM Rancher,2008 420FM Rancher,2009 Foreman 500 FPM
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 12:23 PM

Liked: 30 times
Does the Rancher FI have an additional filter screen where the fuel comes in? Some injectors do and they can clog with trash and effect fuel flow. Maybe there is a diagram of the injection in the manual showing all parts of it,,or someone here has cleaned one before and could tell you. A fuel pressure check would be a good idea. You can make your own,,do a search on YT to show you how,,,its not expensive to make one. Good luck.

05 Suzuki DR650, Mikuni TM40 flatslide pumper carb,JE 10.5:1 piston,stage 2#190 Webcam,open airbox, Twin Air,full FMF system,Pingel fuel valve,Ricor Racing rear shock, Ricor Racing fork Intiminators, Progressive springs, Sargeant seat,DRZ250 tailight,custom plate,LED's,GPS,sumo fender,PT bars,Cycra brushguards IMS lowered pegs, aluminum skid,bearing chain roller,Pirelli,tank bag(gone)

06 Zuk KQ700, Kenda Bearclaw HTR radials Warn RT25 w/ syn. line, 1.5mm clutch shims
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 02:34 PM

Liked: 4 times
There aren't any additional filters if the bike is stock, the fuel goes straight from the tank to the pump then from the pump to the injector. It's no use trying to clean the filter inside the pump, if that's the problem, just get a new one. Check your fuel pressure as stu says and if you take the pump apart, check the green and red wires inside to make sure they are making solid contact, I had a pump that would kick in and out intermittently, found out there was a loose wire inside the pump.

1996 Foreman 400 FW, 2007 420FM Rancher,2008 420FM Rancher,2009 Foreman 500 FPM
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
DUK

Thank you guys. The only thing I hadn't suspected was the TPS. But that makes sense. I have done everything on your list Sabre except that and the fuel filter, but the pump is only a month old. Although the kid I bought this from probably used bad gas so I think I will tear the pump apart and check everything.

Oh and no codes flashing.

Last edited by DUK; 06-28-2014 at 04:58 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
DUK

Fixed... I listened to the IAC valve and it was clicking very fast when the key was first turned on and again once the engine was warm. I unplugged it while it was running waited a few seconds and plugged it back in. This did throw a code and the FI light started flashing, but the idle raised to ~1400 and I could rev it and let off and it would idle. Shut the key off waited 10 seconds and fired it back up and my idle is spot on and rock steady.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 04:17 PM

Liked: 6 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUK View Post
Looking at the pic below, do you see a problem. I replaced the old one because it looks to be stuck open, is that what the pic shows?

My rancher would not idle once warmed up. I haven't been able to check it since we have the rearend out, but hope to tomorrow.
can you please tell me how to remove those screws? do i need a special screw driver? it has those weird pins in the center..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1238 times
Garage
They are called safety bits. They can be purchased at any hardware store usually.

07 416ex
To many mods to list in signature(ran out of space lol)

Check out garage for full list

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode