Honda ATV Forum

Honda ATV Forum (https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/)
-   Honda Rancher (https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/honda-rancher/)
-   -   Newbie! Shifting problems (https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/honda-rancher/26483-newbie-shifting-problems.html)

jdog 10-17-2012 08:00 PM

Newbie! Shifting problems

1 Attachment(s)
First of all i want to think everyone on here for the pictures and walk through's could not have done it without. 2000 Honda Rancher 350 es 2x4 shifting probs stuck in neutral. Pulled front cover and clutch lever was out of forks:dry: Then pulled clutches to get to the gearshift plate arm whatever. Nice trick with the claws and hose clamp cen clutch came right off. Well got to the gearshift plate and lo and behold there was some of the problem someone had welded the broken fork back on and used a paper clip or something for the spring:icon_twisted: So i have some parts ordered new gearshift plate, orings ect. Is there any thing else i should check while im in there as this is pretty new to me? You never know what your getting when you buy used!

jdog 10-17-2012 08:03 PM

Also it was missing the washer that goes in front of clutch lever. Does any one know if behind the gearshift plate arm there is one or two thrust washers? I have seen some diagrams some have two some have one.

joeyglvr 10-18-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdog (Post 257855)
Also it was missing the washer that goes in front of clutch lever. Does any one know if behind the gearshift plate arm there is one or two thrust washers? I have seen some diagrams some have two some have one.

i would think only one, but i could be wrong. go to the manuals section on here and download a service manual for that model. it should show exactly what's supposed to be there. or go to PowersportsPlus.com - OEM Powersports Parts from Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha at discounts up to 80% off MSRP and enter in your model and look under oem parts and they will show the same diagrams as the factory service manual.

jdog 10-18-2012 11:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you. I did just that that's why i am confused:confused:. Here are the images. It shows 1 in the Manual and 2 on power sports plus web site.

Deeperinthabush 10-18-2012 05:31 PM

Welcome to the forums...:icon_ devil: I'd order 2 of them,install one,and see if the shaft has any slop inwards,or outwards,then add the 2nd if it does...

joeyglvr 10-18-2012 06:34 PM

hhhmmm..... i'm with deep on that one... better safe than sorry. as a matter of fact, i remember something in mine that showed like 2 or 3 of the same part on that site...same part numbers and all....can't remember what it was though. anyways, as said, install one, check free play, go from there.

jdog 10-19-2012 02:53 PM

Got her back together!:D Shifts really nice.