LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 03:32 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsman View Post
Here's another point on oil - oil and water normally don't mix very well, but they will emulsify when pulled through an oil pump rotor. And the Hondamatic tranny really doesn't like to run with salad dressing in its innards. So if you like to play submarine captain with your 400 AT, be sure to check for water intrusion into the oil. If you suspect that water has gotten into the oil, don't take the chance - flush it/change it!
Hi Melsman (or anyone),

What would you recommend is the best way to flush my 400FA engine?

Great Thread!!!

Cheers,

Sev

Last edited by sseverin; 06-04-2015 at 09:25 AM.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 01:26 AM

Liked: 1 times
Great Write Up!

Just a note on Dielectric Grease

I use Dielectric Grease on every connector/every time its taken apart.

If I have it handy I will spray a light coat of quality battery corrosion preventer in both sides of the the connector first (kinda mixes with the grease) then I squish the grease in till it comes out the back side of the connectors (if possible) and them some!

I have done many many connections on my Semi/ATV/Boat ect with no problems whatsoever and it sure helps them keep that dreaded green corrosion at bay. Nothing worse then pulling a connector apart and some of the pins staying in the wrong side, that makes for a bad day!

By the way when joining wires I never use crimp connectors if its permanent connection, just solder and use heat shrink, it saves alot of headaches down the road. Hard to believe many of dealerships still use them but then I guess they get repeat business that way. I kinda go overboard and put silicon around the soldered area (after soldering it) before sliding the shrink tubing over it, then when you heat the shrink tubing it squishes it it out the end and it should be completely waterproof (hopefully)!
riccnick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 12:58 PM

We've had 2 of these. '06 (yellow) bought brand new in '06. Sold at very low hours because it never got used.

Now, just last week I bought an '05 (green) and love it. 389 hours and 1000 miles. Runs like brand new. Love it.

2005 Honda Rancher 400 AT 4x4. 25" ITP Mud Lites.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 04:37 PM

Hello guys hope all is well. I registered just to help anyone with the dreaded 6 blink error code and the stuck on a gear doesn't shift to the next gear and when you put it in reverse it sputters. All are related. After searching the web for 4days and no final solution being posted I figured it out! I did a mixture of things. I wont bore you with the stuff I did with no success I'm just getting to the point. The "FIX" I took apart the autoshifter motor cleaned it up and re-lubed the rear resting point and bearing, on page 24-24 in the Note it says (NOTE: The ball nut of the automatic transmission unit can strike the shaft end and lockup. This is just a temporary symptom. In the case, be sure that the motor shaft joint turns smoothly after releasing it) This was the cause of all my problems even after new sensor purchase. I taped on it and moved it, pulled it with pliers. I changed the Angle sensor and installed it a the manual states (keep in mind, when u install it you have to mount it to the small bracket then align with the flat metal rod and turn to around 2oclock softly youll feel like a small spring type tension). After that I did the initial setting procedure outline on page 24-9 on manual and it was fixed. keep in mind, this writing sounds easier than the mission I went on doing electrical diagnosis and all. This is to the point and literally the fix!
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:26 AM

Liked: 6 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
Hello guys hope all is well. I registered just to help anyone with the dreaded 6 blink error code and the stuck on a gear doesn't shift to the next gear and when you put it in reverse it sputters. All are related. After searching the web for 4days and no final solution being posted I figured it out! I did a mixture of things. I wont bore you with the stuff I did with no success I'm just getting to the point. The "FIX" I took apart the autoshifter motor cleaned it up and re-lubed the rear resting point and bearing, on page 24-24 in the Note it says (NOTE: The ball nut of the automatic transmission unit can strike the shaft end and lockup. This is just a temporary symptom. In the case, be sure that the motor shaft joint turns smoothly after releasing it) This was the cause of all my problems even after new sensor purchase. I taped on it and moved it, pulled it with pliers. I changed the Angle sensor and installed it a the manual states (keep in mind, when u install it you have to mount it to the small bracket then align with the flat metal rod and turn to around 2oclock softly youll feel like a small spring type tension). After that I did the initial setting procedure outline on page 24-9 on manual and it was fixed. keep in mind, this writing sounds easier than the mission I went on doing electrical diagnosis and all. This is to the point and literally the fix!
No kidding eh, these freakin Hondamatics are such a pain! Glad you figured our your issue. Mine was a code 12 (also stuck in limp mode) did all the testing in the manual, determined it to be a bad shift motor circuit in the ECM. Created a workaround to make it work without needing the ECM. Saved 200$
ATC4ever likes this.

06 Rancher TRX400FGA - Keeper 2500lb winch, 1.5" snorkel kit, 25" Dirthooks, 30W 7" LED Lightbar, 2x30W 2x2" Cube LEDS, Reverse Lights, Running Taillights, Pyle 8" Soundtube, 50" Kimpex Straight Blade Plow w/Custom 2500lb Winch Angling System

19 Rancher TRX420FM1 - Bone Stock

post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:26 AM

Liked: 6 times
"Because the 400AT and its Hondamatic transmission have almost twice the number of bearings as most ATV engines, it sounds, for lack of a better term, like a gasoline powered sewing machine" - Melsman

Haha I had a good laugh there.

06 Rancher TRX400FGA - Keeper 2500lb winch, 1.5" snorkel kit, 25" Dirthooks, 30W 7" LED Lightbar, 2x30W 2x2" Cube LEDS, Reverse Lights, Running Taillights, Pyle 8" Soundtube, 50" Kimpex Straight Blade Plow w/Custom 2500lb Winch Angling System

19 Rancher TRX420FM1 - Bone Stock

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode