Stuck in Reverse but not the tranny, Neutral and Reverse light on?! - Honda ATV Forum
Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 8 times
Stuck in Reverse but not the tranny, Neutral and Reverse light on?!

Hello, its been a while since I've posted anything. I've been buying and fixing Honda atv's for a while with the help of the forum when needed. Normally I figure out things on my own.
This one has me stumped.
I acquired a 2004 Rancher 350 4x4 with electronic shifting. I started my usual inspection and go around with the machine. New battery, cleaning the carb, spark plug, etc...Fuses are good and new.
When I put the new battery in, everything worked. Starter switch, lights, electronic gear select. Everything.
I then pushed the red button in on left side to engage reverse gear. Reverse light came on, everything seemed good. I turned off power to the machine. This was all done without engine running. I went out the next morning to finish up things and start the motor and when I turned on the key I noticed the neutral light and the reverse light still on? I have checked electrical connections and the usual. Of course with the machine thinking its in reverse, it is dead in the water. I have no "N" in the gear select display either, just three dashes. I can manually engage the gears with the tool with no change on the display to indicate gear.
I'm thinking something happened to the gear select mechanism on the inside of the back engine? perhaps it just broke from age when I engaged the reverse?? I dont know.
What do you guys think?
I'm stumped and don't want to start replacing and tearing down un-necessary things. I do have a service manual.
Thank you for your thought and input in advance.

Too many machines and growing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:54 AM

Liked: 17 times
If you can shift it manually with the wrench and it goes into gear or into neutral then there is nothing wrong with gear shift mechanism. The gear position switch is in the back of the motor and the connector is I believe grey in color and is one of those on the right rear of the frame, behind the footwell. Check it and make sure it is making good contact. Unplug it, blow it out and put it back together.
misterclean59 likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

It shifts manually fine.
Everything worked fine until I engaged reverse by pressing in the red button and pulling back the handle.

anybody??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

From what I can tell if it is the gearshift indicator, the motor has to be removed to get the back engine cases off. Has anyone done this with the engine in the ATV?

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4408 times
Garage
my money say's the gear shift drum has snapped off at the end of it, and its not turning the gear position switch, very common on the early ranchers !. the only way you can check this is to remove the rear engine cover so you can get to the end of the shift drum, and check to see if you can spin the slot on the end of the shift drum by hand ?, if you can spin it around ?, then yes, the shift drum is broken off right there, and it won't turn the gear position switch. the only way to fix this ?..yeah..hope you know how to pull and split a motor ??! :-).

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4408 times
Garage
and just in case you do not know ?, honda has a upgraded shift drum for this very reason !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:46 AM

Liked: 3319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
my money say's the gear shift drum has snapped off at the end of it, and its not turning the gear position switch, very common on the early ranchers !. the only way you can check this is to remove the rear engine cover so you can get to the end of the shift drum, and check to see if you can spin the slot on the end of the shift drum by hand ?, if you can spin it around ?, then yes, the shift drum is broken off right there, and it won't turn the gear position switch. the only way to fix this ?..yeah..hope you know how to pull and split a motor ??! :-).
My first guess as well, but 2004 should already have the upgraded shift drum. I think 2000 was the only year that had the weak drum.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:56 PM

Liked: 17 times
You can get the rear cover off the motor if you take the swing arm off, other wise you have to pull the motor out.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Would this gear switch cause the ATV to show its in reverse if its gone bad, the red reverse light is on but the display show nothing in the gear selector area, just three ---. Ive done the reset procedure in the manual by pressing the buttons while turning on the key...but it gives not error codes.....

im still puzzled how it all was working prior to me engaging the reverse button and pulling the left lever????the motor was not even running

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Shade Tree, if the part is broken as you think, and its broken in reverse..shouldnt I at least have an "R" in the display rather than three "---"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode