Broke cylinder bolt assembling top end - Honda ATV Forum
Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
Broke cylinder bolt assembling top end

Thanks people for all the support here!!
I have a 2008 TRX420FE and just put in a new top end. New gaskets, oversized piston, bored cylinder, new valve seals and machinist lapped my valves.. Upon installing all of this we tightened all the bolts down to spec, but one of the outside "cylinder bolts" (not the head bolts) of the pushrod channel snapped.. Now we just compressed the new gaskets and spec'd all the other bolts, etc.. I have one bolt left holding the jug's jut-out. To properly fix this means disassembling all over again, to get to the block and argue with the broken bolt there.. I'd hate to try to fish an ez-out down the jug's bolt hole and attempt to drill straight, but I also don't want to negate our assembly and new set of gaskets.

I'm tempted to leave it unless it starts leaking out behind the pushrod channel. Am I shooting myself in the foot by not addressing this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:47 PM

Liked: 3079 times
The right way to do it is the remove the top end, get the bolt out, and put in a new bolt.

That said, if you run it like it is, worst that can happen is you have a leak, either oil or coolant. If that happens you can remove the top end, get the bolt out, and put in a new bolt. If it doesn't, you're fine.

That's my take on it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode