"Correct" way to shift DCT in ES mode - Honda ATV Forum
Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

"Correct" way to shift DCT in ES mode

Hi, New to the forums. Long time ATV and Honda rider. But just bought a 2017 Rancher with a DCT and EPS.

My question was about the correct way to shift while riding in ES mode. If I recall on the older Ranchers without the AUTO DCT, Honda recommended that you release the throttle before each shift. Shouldn't I be able to shift without releasing the throttle because that's exactly how it works in auto mode?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:41 PM

Liked: 124 times
I think that shifting during acceleration as you described is one of the advantages of the DCT. Prior to the shift, the mechanical drive parts are already engaged for the next higher or lower gear, and all that happens is that one clutch quickly disengages while the other engages. Since you don't have to synchronize gear speeds in order to make a smooth shift, there is no need to fiddle with the throttle during a shift.

Isn't there some information about shifting technique in your owner's manual?

2015 TRX500 Foreman
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktriebol View Post
I think that shifting during acceleration as you described is one of the advantages of the DCT. Prior to the shift, the mechanical drive parts are already engaged for the next higher or lower gear, and all that happens is that one clutch quickly disengages while the other engages. Since you don't have to synchronize gear speeds in order to make a smooth shift, there is no need to fiddle with the throttle during a shift.

I did glance at the manual and it states to release the throttle before a shift while in ESP mode. It seems silly to me, which is why I asked the question in the first place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:52 AM

Liked: 685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primobigo107 View Post
Quote:

I did glance at the manual and it states to release the throttle before a shift while in ESP mode. It seems silly to me, which is why I asked the question in the first place
Mechanically, the DCT can be shifted any way and no harm will come of it. The clutches are set up in a way to always slip enough during the shifts to allow the proper gear mesh to occur. And in Auto mode it is very subtle, but you are holding the throttle steady and the electronics are controlling the engine and "chopping" or "blipping" the the throttle for you.

In ES mode, the manual only tells you to let off the throttle to make it a smoother transition for you. But all you need is a quick chop or blip of the throttle. That's how it should be done on a regular ES (no DCT) or footshift also.
Melatv and retro like this.

2004 TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT)
MotionPro twist throttle kit
12" handlebar mounted light bar
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23" Titan 489's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Others in the family: '04 TRX250TE, '85 TRX250 Utility (X2), '05 TRX90, '06 TRX500FA, '95 TRX400FW,' 88 TRX125
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:42 AM

Liked: 226 times
Garage
I have tried it every way, & IMO the best way was the shift & then let off the throttle & then back on again. Seems to be the quickest most efficient way.
Melatv likes this.

JESUS is Lord.
Its not the machine so much as it was the "times". 1983.
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQrThtnGqA
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:34 AM

Liked: 2152 times
I think its never good for long life to be on the throttle when engaging gears, you need a slight pause in things to get them seated good then hammer away!
why risk it? its a hair of a second that is all that is needed,
Macarena Man likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
I think its never good for long life to be on the throttle when engaging gears, you need a slight pause in things to get them seated good then hammer away!
It's true that it's not good for long life to be on the throttle when engaging gears, but the DCT doesn't work that way. You should study up on it. The driving gears for the next higher or lower ratio are already engaged before the shift takes place. That's why you don't hear any clanking, banging, or grinding coming from the DCT during a shift. Shift at will. No harm will come to the tranny.
Melatv, wheelsquad and ATC4ever like this.

2015 TRX500 Foreman
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:08 PM

Liked: 2152 times
Quote:
Quote:
It's true that it's not good for long life to be on the throttle when engaging gears, but the DCT doesn't work that way. You should study up on it. The driving gears for the next higher or lower ratio are already engaged before the shift takes place. That's why you don't hear any clanking, banging, or grinding coming from the DCT during a shift. Shift at will. No harm will come to the tranny.
and the OP posted the manual stated this, so???

so if the manual and HONDA is stating to let off the throttle, even with the DCT, I think they know best as to what will make things last? harm or??
but what do I know ?? maybe not as much as HONDA!
but seems we agree to let off the throttle when shifting even again on DCT machine? if the OP posted out of his DCT manual as he says he did?
LOL
Macarena Man likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
and the OP posted the manual stated this, so???

so if the manual and HONDA is stating to let off the throttle, even with the DCT, I think they know best as to what will make things last? harm or??
but what do I know ?? maybe not as much as HONDA!
but seems we agree to let off the throttle when shifting even again on DCT machine? if the OP posted out of his DCT manual as he says he did?
LOL
Mrbb, there is lots of good information on the internet that explains how a DCT works. Studying it will be time well spent. I think you will find it enlightening.

2015 TRX500 Foreman
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:40 PM

Liked: 226 times
Garage
I've gotten pissed off at my "new rubi" when i had it, for the delay in shifts that i would hold it to the floor so to say & shift it up & up & up... the engine would do its own 'blipping' of the throttle for me. Could hear it cut out for a brief second.
Anyway, i got tired of the delay & got rid of it after about 2000 miles. Thats not saying what to do, thats saying what i did.

JESUS is Lord.
Its not the machine so much as it was the "times". 1983.
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQrThtnGqA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode