Neutral and reverse light not coming on, means atv won't start! Help! - Honda ATV Forum
Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 2 times
Neutral and reverse light not coming on, means atv won't start! Help!

New to this. New member as well. I have a 2003 Honda rancher 350 4x4 FM. I've dug deep into this rig. I've taken the motor out, replaced the jug, piston head and rings, top end overhauled, new one way cam bearing, new can chain, and whatnot. Put the motor back in, the neutral and reverse light won't work. Prior to taking the motor out, everything worked and it started. Got everything back in, now it's not happy and I need help! I would hate to take the motor out again but if I have to I will. Any suggestions/advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:11 AM

Liked: 9 times
there is a gear position switch in the rear case with two wires coming out of it. It has a shaft with a small roll pin in it that goes into a grove in the back of the shift drum in the motor. You didn't get it alligned right when you put the rear cover back on. You are going to have to take the rear cover back off, which is hard to do with the motor still in the frame. Can be done if you pull the swing arm, but that's no easy task either.
If you want to test it, find the two wires coming out of the switch, should be a blue one and a red one, you can find them at the connector grouped on the right side of the frame by the rear tire. If you ground the blue one to the frame the neautral light should come on and you should be able to start it. But be careful if it is in gear.
misterclean59 likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Thank you sir for the advise/guidance! I'll see what I can do and results hopefully this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4085 times
Garage
too add to what rocketman said ^^, while you have the rear cover off , MAKE SURE TO CHECK THE END OF THE SHIFT DRUM TO SEE IF ITS NOT BROKEN OFF AT THAT END WHERE THE SWITCH FITS ?!!!.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

You able to tell me what the shift drum is? I can't think of it
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

I'll also add that it does shift. Shifts like it did before through all gears. Just no indicator lights
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Grandtastic View Post
I'll also add that it does shift. Shifts like it did before through all gears. Just no indicator lights
shifting through the gears has NOTHING to do with the gear position switch !. the end of the shift drum, at back of motor is what controls the gear position switch, which tells the neutral and reverse lights on the dash to come on. if for some reason you took the back off the rear of the motor ( or in this case..you did ), and you did not align the gear position switch correctly back into the very end of the shift drum ?, then this is why the lights are not working right. soooo..pull the rear engine cover back off, look at the gear position switch, it has a roll pin sticking through the switch center post, if you look closely, you will notice that one end of this roll pin is sticking out further than the other side ?, this longer end should face the letter N that is stamped on the switch plastic cover. when and if you pull the rear engine cover to check this/fix it, this is the time to use a flat blade screw driver, stuck into the slot on the end of the shift drum, and see if you can spin it around ?, it should not spin much at all, if it does ?, then this tells me the end of the shift drum has snapped off ( very common on the early trx350 ranchers ). if this is the case ?, now you need a new shift drum, which means, now you have to pull the motor, and split the cases to get back into the shift drum area :-(.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:45 AM
Supporting Member

Liked: 4 times
I Put the motor back in, the neutral and reverse light won't work. Prior to taking the motor out, everything worked and it started.

But it all worked before he took it apart. Seems to indicate something got put back together wrong. Does He have a Service Manual? Actually I see at least 2 posts advising him on what to do.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

So I tested the wires, light comes on, starts like a new beast. Now my question is that does it do any harm just to run it like that (obviously to be careful not to start in gear) or if the shift drum piece is broke do I have to replace it? I'll probably still take the back case cover off to check everything, just want to make sure I don't break anything else if I want to drive it or whatever.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Grandtastic View Post
So I tested the wires, light comes on, starts like a new beast. Now my question is that does it do any harm just to run it like that (obviously to be careful not to start in gear) or if the shift drum piece is broke do I have to replace it? I'll probably still take the back case cover off to check everything, just want to make sure I don't break anything else if I want to drive it or whatever.
sooooooooooo..you just wanted to '' jerry '' rig it, so you could just ride huh ?, yeah..ok. have fun on future repairs, cuz I know I wont step in to guide you. nothing makes me more upset is for some one to join here, ask what the problem is, how to fix it, THEN DO A DAMN HALF ASS JOB OF FIXING IT !. good luck ! :-).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode