Neutral and reverse light not coming on, means atv won't start! Help! - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 2 times
Hold on dude, I can fix it. I'm just saying to move it and stuff. But if it comes to cracking open the case, that might be pushing my limit on fixing stuff or the shift drum. I still gotta do some stuff to it before riding it anyway. Obviously if I didn't wanna do it right for the most part anyway, would've never opened up the ends in the first place. So get happy in the pants ya got mad in home slice and let's get this rig running like it should! If the drum is broke and it's gonna damage the inside, I might take it to a more experienced mechanic.
misterclean59 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

I don't have a service manual. I've been going off lots of YouTube videos and forums like this. Shadetree has a lot of experience and knowledge I've seen/ noticed on these situations and on Honda's.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Grandtastic View Post
I don't have a service manual. I've been going off lots of YouTube videos and forums like this. Shadetree has a lot of experience and knowledge I've seen/ noticed on these situations and on Honda's.
ok, simple fix, you can down load the service manual from our site here for free !!. its in the manual section, first sticky, scroll down, click on red letters, locate your make/model/year...please read it !. for right now, you DO NOT HAVE TO SPLIT THE CASES !!..but you do need to remove the rear engine cover, no biggie..just takes time is all. I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee helping folks..i really do !!..but I wont help them if they half ass the work ?..thats just not how I roll.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Hold on dude, I can fix it. I'm just saying to move it and stuff. But if it comes to cracking open the case, that might be pushing my limit on fixing stuff or the shift drum. I still gotta do some stuff to it before riding it anyway. Obviously if I didn't wanna do it right for the most part anyway, would've never opened up the ends in the first place. So get happy in the pants ya got mad in home slice and let's get this rig running like it should! If the drum is broke and it's gonna damage the inside, I might take it to a more experienced mechanic.
as long as you got the service manual, read it, understand it ?, THEN THERE IS NOTHING...AND I MEAN NOTHING THAT YOU CAN NOT DO....UNTIL YOU TRY !!. you've got plenty of help right here on this site that can guide you step by step if need be ?, in other words..there is no excuse to sit there and tell me..you can't do it ?..that's bs !!..lol. bcs man just went through some work on his trx450es with the help of us, and he dont know crap about what was ahead of him ?..but by gawd...he did it !!. with the service manual, and all of us ?, he saved a crap load of money by doing the work himself. CAN'T NEVER COULD...UNTIL YOU TRY !!..LOL.
bcsman and KoolBreeze like this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 02:40 PM

Liked: 142 times
Yeah what @shadetree said....lol

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:19 PM

Liked: 14 times
If it worked before chances are your shift drum is fine. The end of the shift drum is what the shaft of the gear position switch goes into. You want to make sure the transmission is in neautral, and then like was said before align the roll pin of the switch with the N on the body of the switch. You can verify by using a ohm meter to measure between the blue wire and the metal of the case. The switch makes ground, or connects the wire to ground to make the circuit.

Hopefully you didn't mess up the switch, which is more likely to happen if you don't have it alligned right and bolt the cover back on; but if you are handy you can usually fix the switch.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Well thank ya shadetree! I do like fixing stuff the right way, like it should. Got a lot of projects going on at the moment so that's where the if I could just drive it and park it out of the way at the moment kind of thing came in. Now taking it to the mud park...I hate breaking down out and about and having to go through so much trouble than just fixing things in the first place and saving me a ton of trouble! Anywho, I'm hoping to get to it tomorrow. Live in East Texas area above I-20 and hopefully gonna have the motor out before the rain hits again! Praying to the good lord that's it's just a simple fix and I just need to align that sensor up to the drum. Thanks again for everyone's help!
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Rocketman- I'm so far proven to be pretty handy! Like I just mentioned in the previous post, hopefully I'll get to it. Should have an update sometime Sunday afternoon.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Well thank ya shadetree! I do like fixing stuff the right way, like it should. Got a lot of projects going on at the moment so that's where the if I could just drive it and park it out of the way at the moment kind of thing came in. Now taking it to the mud park...I hate breaking down out and about and having to go through so much trouble than just fixing things in the first place and saving me a ton of trouble! Anywho, I'm hoping to get to it tomorrow. Live in East Texas area above I-20 and hopefully gonna have the motor out before the rain hits again! Praying to the good lord that's it's just a simple fix and I just need to align that sensor up to the drum. Thanks again for everyone's help!
yw :-). you do not need to pull motor to get to the switch. I have removed the rear cover with the swing arm in place, its tight to get the cover out ?, but can be done !. if you find it easier to drop the swing arm ? ( this is another way to get the rear cover off ), go that way. I guess which ever way is easier on you ?, then ...get-r-done !. :-).

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Rocketman- I'm so far proven to be pretty handy! Like I just mentioned in the previous post, hopefully I'll get to it. Should have an update sometime Sunday afternoon.
if you get stumped ?..just holler at us ! :-).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode