Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:59 AM

Liked: 45 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
I wouldn't run it with an exhaust leak.....
I'm pretty sure running lean will cause the exhaust to get hotter and glow cherry red, not rich.

I had a 220 bayou one time that, when running, the exhaust would get red hot. Took the carb apart and ethanol gas had eaten away the aluminum housing around the main jet allowing more fuel to flow.

What happens is that there is more fuel than can be burned in the amount of time it has in the cylinder, so it is still trying to burn as it is going out of the exhaust valve. Then you have fire in your exhaust that should normally only have hot gasses.

Lean condition will make the fire in the cylinder burn hotter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:59 AM

Liked: 594 times
Hey Girls ride too, we used to call those long reach Hemostats "roach clips". lol..........that was many years ago tho.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 445 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
So you never mentioned the header pipe on that pic , did you notice that it is cherry red most likely from the carb being too rich
I swear to you that photo was not there when I responded to your post! I call hiccup on the server.

No, no, no, I've never noticed any degree of redness to the pipe near the head. Now, if it is happening farther back on the pipe, nearer the exhaust, I guess I would not see it underneath the shields. I think if it got THAT hot my leg would have known it.... LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterclean59 View Post
Hey Girls ride too, we used to call those long reach Hemostats "roach clips". lol..........that was many years ago tho.
Being retired from the medical profession they are still hemostats to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJCountry View Post
Quote:
I'm pretty sure running lean will cause the exhaust to get hotter and glow cherry red, not rich.
I had a 220 bayou one time that, when running, the exhaust would get red hot. Took the carb apart and ethanol gas had eaten away the aluminum housing around the main jet allowing more fuel to flow.

What happens is that there is more fuel than can be burned in the amount of time it has in the cylinder, so it is still trying to burn as it is going out of the exhaust valve. Then you have fire in your exhaust that should normally only have hot gasses.

Quote:
Quote:
So you never mentioned the header pipe on that pic , did you notice that it is cherry red most likely from the carb being too rich
I'm sorry to correct you Fish but too rich will not cause an engine to overheat. A perfectly jetted engine will overheat under tough conditions.........especially an air cooled engine. Is is not uncommon to see high performance four strokes to glow red , especially at night. Now a lean engine will over heat exponentially as it get leaner. Think about a torch........more oxygen more heat until it goes out...........less oxygen, it gets cooler. I respect your opinions Fish but I was compelled to correct this because it is an important topic. We're still friends right? lol
Great explanations but now my head is spinning! My spark plug indicates it's running rich - black and sooty, really bad.

I have read that Honda sets these quads to run lean related to emission controls. So, I'm not sure why mine is running rich.

It has EFI so I'm lost about any cleaning anything other than the fuel injector. But, it cranks right up and runs great.

Based upon what all of you said about the engine running lean vs. rich and the fact my pipe is not getting red hot I'm confused as to why the plastic melted.

The melted plastic occurred in the Summer and right after that I had my mechanic change the radiation fluid (again) and install a new thermostat even though the light on my display NEVER came on. I was just being paranoid, I guess. Also, he readjusted the values just because he found they were not adjusted properly by my former mechanic. The overheating MAY be resolved. I have ridden very very little since this work was done. When I found the exhaust leak I assumed this was the problem all along, not the radiator or thermostat.

The bracket the seat sits on is behind the spark plug, near the rear of the engine. I'm sure you know this. LOL So, where can the heat be coming from in this area if it's not a red hot part of the exhaust??

Last edited by GirlsRideToo; 02-15-2019 at 02:07 PM.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:40 PM

The exhaust leak is more than enough to explain the melted plastic.
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJCountry View Post
Quote:

The fire has been extinguished by the time the engine turns over one full revolution to enter the exhaust stroke. Rich will never, ever, ever make an engine run hotter than normal. Perhaps the ethanol slightly restricted the jets causing a lean condition. I've owned my shop for over 35 years now so I know a little about ethanol and carbs. I hope this discussion helps tho.
GirlsRideToo likes this.

Last edited by misterclean59; 02-15-2019 at 02:53 PM.
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
The exhaust leak is more than enough to explain the melted plastic.
Thank you so very much. That's all I need to know!! Now I can put my new seat back on and enjoy it.

I'll be riding next week at night and I don't like things going bad when I'm alone and deep in the woods at 2:00 a.m. LOL
Do I need to address the running rich issue in any way??
misterclean59 likes this.
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 05:04 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6766 times
Garage
try 1/4 - 1/2 a turn on the air mix adjustment screw , then check your plug again
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
try 1/4 - 1/2 a turn on the air mix adjustment screw , then check your plug again
Thiis is my 2014 Rancher 420FM, Fish, not the little 1997 Recon.

I think the screw you are referring to on the Rancher is painted white and the manual strictly forbids me from touching it. I'll leave it alone.
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:38 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 464 times
glad ya found the problem an got him fixed?? i remember the hemostats, from my times. they wernt for surgery. lols
you could clamp paper together, if ya didnt have a paper clip
misterclean59 likes this.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 02-15-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode