Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 347 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
I would make sure the flat end flange of the exhaust is clean and flat , maybe some emery cloth and buff it , clean out the carbon build up inside the head where the flange mates ,be sure the copper washer stays in place when you insert the flange , put it together and snug the bolts evenly , start the engine and let it get up to operating temp , then tighten the bolts ( to torque specs if you like ) ---see what happens , then go on from there !!!!
Thank you! I didn't know about letting it warm up and then retighten the bolts. It's those little secrets I don't know about. LOL. I'll keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
I'm with fish

Did you verify that was where the leak was from?
Yes, I really think so. Since I wasn't able to get my hand close enough, I took tight strips of paper and attached them to a long handled hemostat and held it in the area. That's the only place I could detect the leak - at the head connection, at the bottom. That was the area where I found that the bolt was looser than the top bolt. And, after removing and inspecting the crush washer I found it was not compressed evenly. I know it's difficult to see it in my photo.

I cleaned the exterior of the exhaust to the point is should be sterile. Even went over it with a magnifying glass. It's in great condition with minimal rust.

I did as @fishfiles suggested and did a little more cleaning and light sanding.

I'm going out now to put in the new washer and see what happens.
misterclean59 and rustynut2 like this.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All done and it WORKED! THANK YOU @fishfiles! Once again you came to my rescue.

I had to get a friend to help by tapping the exhaust in the grommets as I held the pipe in the correct position on the head. The pipe wanted to raise up about 1/16 inch so that it was not centered. Now I know why that old crush washer had more pressure on one side than the other and why the pipe was leaking. If I had tapped it in all by myself it would have been high. .

Now I just have to put him back together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barequad.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	133974  
fishfiles and LedFTed like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:58 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6290 times
Garage
Glad it worked out ----that bike sure is clean . Do you use it ? LOL
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Glad it worked out ----that bike sure is clean . Do you use it ? LOL
Not the past 2 1/2 months. I don't deer hunt anymore and it's illegal to hunt hogs at night during deer season, even with my special permit. Now that deer season is finally over I'll be headed out next week and it'll be covered in mud... LOL
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:41 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
I remember when you first came to the site asking questions about kids riding , never thought you were a deer hunter

we are about to do a special hog hunt , a friends buddy has 22 hog dogs , Russian bear dogs , Catahoulas , Pit Bulls , Cures , GPS collars to a screen on the 4 wheeler , remote drones with video and obstacle avoidance that follow the lead dog , no guns allowed so the dogs don't get shot , knives only , should be fun

Check out this exhaust , look right at the pipe by the head , yours getting that hot ? LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300 hot exhaust .jpg
Views:	22
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	133986  
misterclean59 and _Wilson_ like this.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I remember when you first came to the site asking questions about kids riding , never thought you were a deer hunter

we are about to do a special hog hunt , a friends buddy has 22 hog dogs , Russian bear dogs , Catahoulas , Pit Bulls , Cures , GPS collars to a screen on the 4 wheeler , remote drones with video and obstacle avoidance that follow the lead dog , no guns allowed so the dogs don't get shot , knives only , should be fun

Check out this exhaust , look right at the pipe by the head , yours getting that hot ? LOL
Have friends that used to come to our place for hog hunting. Had catahoulas. Great dogs.

I went with them once and it was way too brutal for me to watch. Not because of the hogs but seeing the dogs get injured or almost injured was not my idea of fun. And those dog were covered in kevlar. It is an extremely dangerous way to hunt if you don't know what you're doing. So, as you warned me about the hot muffler, I'm warning you to be careful. An injured bore is a dangerous animal to approach.

I've killed over 500. Even after good 270 shot placement and being down for 30 minutes and followed by a 9mm shot between the eyes I've had them jump up and charge me. Again, please be careful.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 03:06 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
So you never mentioned the header pipe on that pic , did you notice that it is cherry red most likely from the carb being too rich
misterclean59 and LedFTed like this.
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:18 AM

Liked: 53 times
Deer seasons over here. I'm jealous of you hog hunters, stuck in the house waiting for riding season to come. $inches of snow this weekend predicted.
Good work on the atv but just so you know the exhaust is on the other side from the pic posted

Work harder, millions on welfare depend on you.
16 Rancher 4x4, 12 T800XC, 14 DRZ 400s
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:49 AM

Liked: 526 times
Quote:
So you never mentioned the header pipe on that pic , did you notice that it is cherry red most likely from the carb being too rich
I'm sorry to correct you Fish but too rich will not cause an engine to overheat. A perfectly jetted engine will overheat under tough conditions.........especially an air cooled engine. Is is not uncommon to see high performance four strokes to glow red , especially at night. Now a lean engine will over heat exponentially as it get leaner. Think about a torch........more oxygen more heat until it goes out...........less oxygen, it gets cooler. I respect your opinions Fish but I was compelled to correct this because it is an important topic. We're still friends right? lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode