Tire Bumping Rancher 420FM 2014 - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1964 times
Briefly read the replies to your thread but, simple solution.... Swap the tyre you suspect to be the issue for the other side or to the front, if no difference dig deeper.

I run 28” mega mayhems, they never run smoothly on asphalt, when the pressures drop over time you can really tell, i always have to keep on top of pressures, especially the front end.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2” lift kit, 28” mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22” LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 380 times
Garage
Here's What I Found

Removed the right rear tire and found that the axle nut was loose enough to remove by hand. Wow. Guess that could cause that tired to bump when it rolled. Right?
Also, found a slight gash in the right tire. Should I worry about this? See photo below The tires are Swamp Lites.

Decided to remove the left rear tire to check it, too. What I found was the brass(?) "oil seal" was loose and hanging on the axle rather than being seated in the axle housing. See the pic below. My mechanic had replaced the axle bearing.

I cleaned the oil seal and removed the dried mud/dust from the rubber seal that is right inside the axle housing. I reinstalled the seal back into the housing and tapped it with a rubber mallet. It seems tight.

The left hub looks good. BUT, my concern is that the hub does not fit flush against the axle housing. Is it supposed to? What holds that oil seal in place?? The manual is not clear about that. See photo below.

Oh no......... now I absolutely cannot get the right rear dust cover off the brake drum. It's stuck like glue. Actually, it looks like mechanic might have put some sort of sealant around the cover. It won't budge!!! Remember that I have it off not long ago when I put on new brake shoes. I'm so mad........................... Can installing a new rear axle cause the dust cover to seize???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leftseal.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	132648   Click image for larger version

Name:	leftrear.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	132650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Righttire.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	132652  

Last edited by GirlsRideToo; 12-29-2018 at 06:39 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 07:33 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 440 times
if the work was done proper, you shouldnt have problems. that is a given..
your mechanic, must have been hung over, or not a mechanic. no mechanic does bad work. those that do, are not mechanics., just money hungry Ah's
retro likes this.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I hear ya, @LedFTed. I've been soaking, prying and cussing at the brake cover for 2 hours. It simply won't budge. I'm going to cut it off. I'm not sure how, but I'm going to get it off. I'm seriously considering listing him on Craig's list and be done with it. He was supposed to be fixed and I'm not dumping any more money into this project. My little 97 Recon is all that I need. I'll keep working on him.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:00 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRideToo View Post
I hear ya, @LedFTed. I've been soaking, prying and cussing at the brake cover for 2 hours. It simply won't budge. I'm going to cut it off. I'm not sure how, but I'm going to get it off. I'm seriously considering listing him on Craig's list and be done with it. He was supposed to be fixed and I'm not dumping any more money into this project. My little 97 Recon is all that I need. I'll keep working on him.
not sure about your brake lever, but i can take the stuff on the out side of the rear brake on the 2000, giving shoes no pressure. it was still a bear to get my drum off, but it was out of round. i could find a spot with out touching the brakepads. it were a job to get the drum off for me. if you already had the drum off. i cant see a problem, much, when that is disconnected, at the moment.
did you get your mechanic on craigs list have to go back to the top if the thread, to catch up.
i looked at the top of thread. till ya get the drum off. i got no suggestions, at the moment. seems like if a shoes wasnt mounted properly, it would do it all the time. if the drum is out of round, and the brakes were adjusted, at the lever, the brakes could catch the drum. i had to put my lever in the wrong position, because my drum was wore, and out of round. with the lever off can you turn
the rod that goes inside the drum? it has a name, i just cant think of it. adjusting rod for the moment.

"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 12-29-2018 at 09:13 PM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFTed View Post
Quote:
not sure about your brake lever, but i can take the stuff on the out side of the rear brake on the 2000, giving shoes no pressure. it was still a bear to get my drum off, but it was out of round. i could find a spot with out touching the brakepads. it were a job to get the drum off for me. if you already had the drum off. i cant see a problem, much, when that is disconnected, at the moment.
did you get your mechanic on craigs list have to go back to the top if the thread, to catch up.
I took the brake cables and lever off.... Cam has to be removed from the inside. The lever moved just fine so brakes don't seem to be out.

It's not the brake drum I'm trying to get off..... it's the brake COVER on the drum...... There is no 0-ring holding it on. the only thing I see is a dent on the left side. Maybe that's enough to mess everything up, I don't know. Maybe my riding it a few weeks ago and again yesterday without knowing the axle nut was loose caused the brake drum to bind. or something to bend...i just don't know.

Mechanic is praised by all who use him. He's local guy and did not find him on Craig's list. He'll tell me to bring it back to him and he won't charge me. He's a super nice guy. I'm just tired of fooling with it.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 10:06 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFTed View Post
Quote:
I took the brake cables and lever off.... Cam has to be removed from the inside. The lever moved just fine so brakes don't seem to be out.

It's not the brake drum I'm trying to get off..... it's the brake COVER on the drum...... There is no 0-ring holding it on. the only thing I see is a dent on the left side. Maybe that's enough to mess everything up, I don't know. Maybe my riding it a few weeks ago and again yesterday without knowing the axle nut was loose caused the brake drum to bind. or something to bend...i just don't know.

Mechanic is praised by all who use him. He's local guy and did not find him on Craig's list. He'll tell me to bring it back to him and he won't charge me. He's a super nice guy. I'm just tired of fooling with it.
OK, i misunderstood. a pematex type stuff can cause the drum cover to stick. but on my case, it was hard to get off without that type of situation. i used my own tool. if it is like my rear brake drum cover, they are hard to get off anyway. i had a scrapping tool, that was old, an i put an angle on the end to scrape gaskets. one of my favorite tools, by the way, before i got my die grinder.
if the dent was not with the brake drum cover to begin with. perhaps a stick of something caused the dent. that makes more sense to me, than a trusted mechanic. faith, is a good thing. i have to add to this. perhaps your mechanic, had an assistant to help, when the work was done. that cover is a pain to get off. i cant point to the following thread., by retro. i had a scrapper that was thin enough, not to damage the cover, yet get it off. it took much patience, but it worked. now i hope when i did it, i didnt seal it. been a long while.

2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 12-30-2018 at 12:10 AM.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2933 times
That cover can be a bugger to get off sometimes. But if it has sealer on it, its gonna be a lot tougher than usual to get off without bending it up. I'd take it back to the mechanic and let him deal with it... and ask him to torque those hub nuts to spec when hes done?

The loose hub may have contributed to your flat spot feeling issue, but probably wasn't the cause of it unless the hub is wallowed out.
LedFTed likes this.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 10:26 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

i think you should talk to your mechanic. it will give em a chance to redeem his self. i'd be so embarrassed if i did bad work, or allowed someone under me to do bad work, i'd want to make it right myself. i think i deserve to. it would be my name on the work, an reputation. just saying.

2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got that sticky brake cover off today. Had to resort to a Dremmel. Have ordered new cover. Removed brake and brake plate.. All look good and bearings turn easily. I can't find a reason for the tire bumping.

Please see my FIRST post of 12/29/18. I still need an answer to my question about the space between the knuckle and the axle cover. Should there be a gap?? I'm wondering if the axle length is correct.

Is the small cut in the tire significant? Thank you for any advice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode