Own a Pioneer? What's your impressions? - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda Pioneer Discussions for the Honda Pioneer Side by Side (Pioneer 500, Pioneer 700, Pioneer 1000)

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:08 PM

Liked: 11 times
I had a pioneer 1000-5 deluxe and loved it. I had it for a little over a year and put 500 or so miles on it. It was smooth, quick enough, relatively quiet, and would go through anything. I bought it to ride with my kids and wife but they never really wanted to go with. Ended up being just me in a 5 seat $18000 machine. After riding trails and some off-road parks, I just couldn't bring myself to put that much money into mud and water. I found myself avoiding areas out of fear of damaging a toy that was close in price to my daily driver.

Now, that isn't to say that it WOULD get messed up. I'm confident it could have handled a lot more than I threw at it.

If my family were more into it, the smiles from the kids would have overshadowed my fears and I would have had fun and fixed it as it needed it. But for just me, it didn't make sense to beat on that pricey of a toy. I'm on a 2015 Rubicon now and love it.

If I were in the market for a SXS again, I would go right back to that machine. No buyer's remorse at all.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Redtape and Jeepwm69 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 19 times
cuoutdoors....... That is a great idea with the bi-directional fan to direct the engine heat. How did you cut the hole without making a mess of it? Does it create much more of an engine noise problem? It would be easy to add a switch to reverse the fan direction.

Some of these manufacturers should incorporate this into their machines.
cuoutdoors likes this.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

This thread has been very informative to me and others I'm sure. I hope it continues. I've owned ATV's for 30 years, but UTV's are a new animal to me. I hope to involve my family in recreational trail riding by buying a UTV, and use it for chores naturally too. We live in Wisconsin and have a lot of good places to ride.

I'm also looking at a 7' wide, enclosed trailer to store and haul the Pioneer 1000 in. I will locate the side door such that I can get in and out of the UTV with it inside the trailer. Approx. cost of trailer is $5,000. It makes for a expensive recreational set-up, but I hope to get a lot of enjoyment from it. I was advised by the trailer dealer to avoid an 8' wide trailer if possible due to the additional wind resistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

I'd sure like to see this thread continue. I've leaned lots of good info on UTV's........

Keep posting please!
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:57 PM

Liked: 2 times
Just got a 2016 1000 3-seater and love it. Yeah, it does get warm on the seat, so I'm sure a layer of insulation should fix it.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 09:03 AM

Liked: 56 times
Hey I'm going to dig up an old thread here just to see if there are any new Pioneer guys on here.

I have a 2014 700-2 and love it! That being said.....it ate it's cam at 675 miles and a couple years old. Turns out Honda had a bad cam that went into the Big Red UTV and one model 4 wheeler, I think Rubicon. It was an expensive fix and after many phone calls we ended getting most of the labor covered. I remember the mechanic asking me if I bought a warranty. I said hell no, I bought a Honda! New cam with new part number that matches the 2015 models. Fingers crossed.

The transmission is why I held out from buying another UTV for so long. I'm Honda loyal and I had no interest whith a belt drive. When they came out with a UTV without belts for 10k I jumped all over it. Everyone complains about the lack of low gear and the posi rear end but I really don't mind. I new that when I bought it.

Some guys buy them expecting it to be something it is not. Your not gonna haul ass and race around on the 700 or even the 1000. Honda doesn't have that model yet but just wait, there has been something in the works for a while now called the Talon and the patents they have are pretty interesting. And don't forget the 500. For it's size I've heard it's quite the toy and goes through quite a bit.

I like girls! Even if it's politically incorrect these days.

Get your PIoneer tailgate to lay flat by ordering new cables here... Longer Tailgate Cables For Honda Pioneer 700 & 1000
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:16 AM

Liked: 3065 times
Your pioneer is the same as a Rincon motor. I thought the cam issues were only on the early Rincons though, so that's puzzling.

I got your 300 bulbs in the mail yesterday afternoon. Sorry for the delay. Been a hectic week.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the post by "Manny", but something tells me he has not been on a long ride in a P1000. Even with the "heat shield" that they put on the 2018 P1000's the cab is nearly intolerable. The "heat shield" isn't much more than a piece of fireproof cardboard. The seats and your legs don't get warm, they get hot. I know some creative guys have come up with their own solutions which usually involve a fan and a few large intakes/exhausts ducts. However when you spend 18K on a high end machine, I don't think you should have to be creative genius to make the machine rideable. I'm tired of stuffing towels around the seats, and holding my door open in an attempt to get relief from the excess heat. I can't accept the statement that it's unavoidable. Let's call a spade a spade, it's poor engineering which I just didn't expect from Honda. I've owned Honda machines, motorcycles, three wheelers, ATV's, and now the P1000, for 40 years, and this is the first one that I have been dissatisfied with there engineering.

Just as an aside, when you start adding those extras like a winch, then you need to add a second battery with the proper wiring etc. Another weak engineering point about the machine. When you order a machine with a winch, I would think they would advise you that you need an additional battery arrangement if you don't want to drain the battery to the point of the machine being inoperable. Of course I found this out the hard way.

Sorry for being a little bitter, but I just expected so much more from Honda. I still think Honda makes mostly superior equipment - just not the P1000.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 AM

Liked: 3065 times
Honda isn't as good as they used to be. They're still the best of what's available, but they aren't as good as they used to be.

My opinion.......
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:21 AM

Liked: 6 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtape View Post
cuoutdoors....... That is a great idea with the bi-directional fan to direct the engine heat. How did you cut the hole without making a mess of it? Does it create much more of an engine noise problem? It would be easy to add a switch to reverse the fan direction.

Some of these manufacturers should incorporate this into their machines.
Sorry I missed this comment.

No it does not add engine noise. The fan is louder than the engine. I should've bought a switch to change directions but at the time I didn't think it was necessary. I put foil under my seat and have zero heat coming through. There are a lot of sxs' out there with heat issues. You can cook your lunch in the console of a commander.

I agree it shouldn't be a problem with a machine that costs so much. There just isn't a perfect machine out there. They all have their flaws and need a fix here and there. It just is what it is. Buy what is closest to your needs then improvise, overcome, and adapt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Smokey196240 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Pioneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode