Own a Pioneer? What's your impressions? - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda Pioneer Discussions for the Honda Pioneer Side by Side (Pioneer 500, Pioneer 700, Pioneer 1000)

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 19 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
I'll ask him when he gets back from the Mud Nationals , he is on a free trip on HighLifer as he is dealer for them , he came by my house and rode with us one weekend when it was brand new , and he called it a piece of crap , he spent $3k on extras for it right off the bat , lift kits , tires and rims, sound system , light bars , etc and took a lost selling it , so that says something --- I recently had a chance to buy a 6 wheel John Deer for $1,800 that was pretty decent and past on it , there is a brand new Can-Am 1000 6 wheel drive that is a 2015 that didn't sell and the dealer has a big sale on it this weekend , that thing looks like a nightmare on the pocket book when it breaks ----- I think the Mule is the best thing out there right now for a utility UTV
What Pioneer did he have - 500, 700, or 1000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 04:32 PM

Liked: 1 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
A lot of SxS's habe this issue.

They'll fix it, or people on boards like this one will figure out how to fix it.

Would you rather be warm or broken down?
My 700 hasn't even got to the initial service yet...but during deer season that heat was a nice thing to have when leaving the blind after the sun went down! It does have the half-doors so probably not as good as others on dissipating heat. I haven't exercised it in warmer temps (bought it in October and live in Wisconsin) but will see.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 04:39 PM

Liked: 1 times
Again not fully tested yet but the transmission on the 700 seems to take some time to "wind-up" and so far I would say it is not ideal for close quarter work. Once in motion it works great. Never experienced the other brands so don't know if that is a problem unique to Honda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:24 AM

Liked: 3098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
I'll ask him when he gets back from the Mud Nationals , he is on a free trip on HighLifer as he is dealer for them , he came by my house and rode with us one weekend when it was brand new , and he called it a piece of crap , he spent $3k on extras for it right off the bat , lift kits , tires and rims, sound system , light bars , etc and took a lost selling it , so that says something --- I recently had a chance to buy a 6 wheel John Deer for $1,800 that was pretty decent and past on it , there is a brand new Can-Am 1000 6 wheel drive that is a 2015 that didn't sell and the dealer has a big sale on it this weekend , that thing looks like a nightmare on the pocket book when it breaks ----- I think the Mule is the best thing out there right now for a utility UTV
Yeah, my doctor has a Can Am. He went from Polaris to Can Am, and said the Can Am is an even bigger POS than the Ranger was.

His is heavily modded, and he's hard on equipment.

He said his go to "I know it will get me home" to use around his property is still an old Honda 300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Having cab heat issues is going to be a given when you have an engine between you and the passenger, this happens with every model. rhino, commander, teryx, etc.

that's unavoidable.

If the cost wasn't so high for the 1000 5 seater I would sell my rzr's and buy one, but I really don't think its worth 20k.
The 1000's are down around $12-13K here for the bench seat model.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:56 PM

Liked: 6 times
I have the 3 seat 1000. I'm very happy with it. I live in Iowa and it does get hot under the seat and almost every side by side does that. You can bake a potato in the cup holder of a can am commander. ....and I'm a can am fan too! I used to race them. With out getting too long winded here I boiled it down to reliability/longevity VS. luxury/comfort options. .....so imo nobody offers a cab and other comforts that compare to a ranger. However I put my stock in reliability. The hounda tranny has been outstanding. It shifts incredibly smooth, it will hold in gear going down hills and down shifts flawlessly when slowing from 55mph. The motors are bulletproof and you just can't beat the mechanical reliability of a Honda. To address your heat concerns, I mounted a 4 inch bilge fan under the center of the seat with a vent cut through the plastic. It's been great because in the winter it blows hot air off the motor into the cab and in the summer I just switch the wires and blow the hot air back pulling cool air through the cab......but in Iowa I often use both options on the same day haha.

Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:36 AM

Liked: 3098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuoutdoors View Post
To address your heat concerns, I mounted a 4 inch bilge fan under the center of the seat with a vent cut through the plastic. It's been great because in the winter it blows hot air off the motor into the cab and in the summer I just switch the wires and blow the hot air back pulling cool air through the cab......but in Iowa I often use both options on the same day haha.

Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genius.

Like I said, if Honda doesn't figure out a fix, owners will.
misterclean59 and cuoutdoors like this.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

fishfiles, you said your neighbor bought a the Pioneer and put it up for sale 3 months later. What Pioneer are you referring to - 500, 700, or 1000? They are very different machines and engines, and I wonder which one he had. I hope it wasn't the 1000 since I think I'll get one.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:22 PM

Liked: 40 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtape View Post
fishfiles, you said your neighbor bought a the Pioneer and put it up for sale 3 months later. What Pioneer are you referring to - 500, 700, or 1000? They are very different machines and engines, and I wonder which one he had. I hope it wasn't the 1000 since I think I'll get one.
I wouldn't put too much stock into one owners opinion, especially when he isn't here to speak for himself. Most 1000 owners love the machine but like they say, you can't please everyone. I doubt the riding in Louisiana is very similar to Wisconsin anyway.
Manny likes this.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:18 PM

Liked: 4 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtape View Post
I'd sure like to here from some of you Pioneer owner's to see what you think of your machine.

We haven't had much owner feedback, and I for one would like to know your experiences. Do you like the machine? How does it ride, pull, drive, and compare with other machines you've encountered? Would you buy it again? Does it have enough power?

It is a big investment, and your feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
I bought a 1000 last July . First trip, I smashed the skid plate and busted a calliper protector. I'm lucky to have my own shop and made a 1/4'' stainless skid plate and new 1/8 calliper protectors. I then put it on a trailer and went to Newfoundland. I took this machine up and down the roughest country Canada has to offer. I followed Argos up mountains ,through marshes ,rivers, ponds and dense scrub and forest. The Argo riders had sore necks because they kept looking back to see if I was still there. I WAS! Got stuck in one bawg hole. Was water up to bottom of steering wheel. Took 2 Argos to pull me out. (Driver error) I can say, this machine will go anywhere. I am not your normal owner. Most people wouldn't pay 20+ thousand dollars and test their machine to its limits. I did. Performance will not be outdone in my opinion. That being said' there are weak spots. I now have to replace floors with stainless as the where destroyed by stumps. The suspension is a bit stiff for steep ,rough inclines and body tears easily. I hear there is a new suspension kit and I can improve floors and body. Oh yeah, I pulled the Argos out all day!
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Wow! Remind me never to venture out with you. I'd wait at the bottom of the hill polishing my machine. LOL If you'd filmed your ventures, Honda would probably buy the adventure highlights. It's nice to know the 1000 can hack it albeit with a few problems.

You should consider selling your enhancements to the machine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Pioneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode