What ToyHauler can a Honda Pioneer 1000 be loaded in. - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda Pioneer Discussions for the Honda Pioneer Side by Side (Pioneer 500, Pioneer 700, Pioneer 1000)

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 04:16 AM

Liked: 2020 times
Garage
Maybe, my last hemi had 3.92’s under it I have no idea what is “standard”

I wouldn’t be caught dead pulling a 29ft trailer with a half ton just because of the gas alone lol they are only rated to pull around 10k lbs and doubt I’d want to pull half that with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 28" Mud Bugs
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 04:35 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 259 times
Shades truck, because of the year and setup (5.3/3.73), is a little beast..

Its a light truck with 2wd.... It'll pull like hell..

My 2013 longbox 4.8/3.73 could pull some heavy stuff too.. You just gotta slow down and let it work on the hills..

GM motors are bulletpreoof. Not sur about these new Ecotecs though..

Thats why I went to Toyota..lol

I used to pull my 1983 Toyota SR5 Mojave with 33' tires behind my 92 F150 with a 5.0 and a 3.08...lol

Just gotta be smart about it if your going to be stupid...lol

1984 Honda ATC BigRed 200ES
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4255 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtherocket View Post
Shades truck, because of the year and setup (5.3/3.73), is a little beast..

Its a light truck with 2wd.... It'll pull like hell..

My 2013 longbox 4.8/3.73 could pull some heavy stuff too.. You just gotta slow down and let it work on the hills..

GM motors are bulletpreoof. Not sur about these new Ecotecs though..

Thats why I went to Toyota..lol

I used to pull my 1983 Toyota SR5 Mojave with 33' tires behind my 92 F150 with a 5.0 and a 3.08...lol

Just gotta be smart about it if your going to be stupid...lol
you sure got pulling part right !. like I said, 29ft nomad, fully loaded, plus 1k of tools in the bed, weight dist hitch, class 4 hitch rated for 10k..yeah..no problem pulling it,cept fuel..lmfao. your right, 2000 chevy, 5.3L, 3:73 gears..she's a beast !!.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4255 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post

I wouldn’t be caught dead pulling a 29ft trailer with a half ton just because of the gas alone lol they are only rated to pull around 10k lbs and doubt I’d want to pull half that with one.

10k isn't nothing..if ya got the right set up on your truck ?, elec brakes, all that..yeah..easy..just not easy on gas..lmao.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1237 times
Garage
The biggest issue i had with my 4.7 pulling the toyhauler was a torque management issue. Which the tuner made it alot better. But my power curve drops off at 55-60. Hills arent much of an issue. I just make sure im doing 75 or 80 at the bottom haha. But the suspension leaves something to be desired. With load leveling hitch it helps alot but still kinda rides like a tank. But with my truck i can only pull it loaded with quads. When my brothers rzr is in there its a no go. We use the f250 superduty for that task. I have no doubt my truck would do it. It just wouldnt be pretty. LoL

07 416ex
To many mods to list in signature(ran out of space lol)

Check out garage for full list
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 04:11 AM

Liked: 2020 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post

10k isn't nothing..if ya got the right set up on your truck ?, elec brakes, all that..yeah..easy..just not easy on gas..lmao.

Well that’s just it, gas guzzler for sure. My hemi was the 6speed auto that thing was lucky to get 12mpg in town and I think around 17-18 on the highway, empty, in the winter it was worse in town because of all the snow and ice and warming up the truck etc I think it worked out to around 10mpg, again that’s empty. Needless to say I don’t miss the thing although it was fun to drive.

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 28" Mud Bugs
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 09:30 AM

Liked: 1990 times
towing is a lot about gearing in both trans and rear ends, just cause a motor makes "X" amount of HP on paper, the real deal tends to be most all motors make HP at rpms NO one in the right mind will be running or towing at
them 5.7 Hemi numbers sound way better than real world driving use will ever get you near them!

even if you look at Ram/Dodge tow ratings on Half tons, as to, say Ford/chevy, its a huge difference, dodge/ram just doesn't have much in towing LBS in 1/2 tons

get into a 3/4 ton and trucks can handle more towing lbs, BUT trucks also get a lot heavier in actually weight of just the truck alone, (most 3/4 ton trucks weigh about 1500 lbs more than there 1/2 ton of like truck)
so them same motors, well, have less HP to LB ratings , so how much better do you think they do on them HP/Torque numbers
its back to different gearing that helps off set things
just like adding larger tires to an atv, you have to change gearing to meet the new needs of asking from same motor Hp output!

and there is a HUGE Difference in towing on flat land as to any place with hills or altitude , all motors loose Hp as you go higher in things

its why diesel's rule the towing world, all the more so one's with turbo's, NO Hp loss, and they make power at rpms you actually drive at/tow at.
a gas motors need way more RPM"S to make like Hp numbers and torque, and thus use more fuel to do so!

on flat land again, about any truck of decent weight can tow things 150 % better than the same truck will in rolling hills, here where I am at, every 5-10 miles you change 500-2000 ft in elevation, its all UP hill down hill, to go any where, and all my gas trucks ended a LOT of rpms to get up and over every hill, thus sucked at MPG"S as you were always screaming things when towing blowing out any good MPG numbers LOL
same truck on flat land was night and day different in towing!
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 09:34 AM

Liked: 19 times
I wanted an enclosed trailer for my Pioneer 1000 too, but they (the trailer dealer) couldn't make it work even with a custom side door with a 7' X 12' trailer. The height isn't a problem since they can add to the height in 6 inch increments, but you need room to enter and exit the UTV when it's on the trailer. I must have tested 6 different trailers in an attempt to find something that would work - no glory. I ended up with a 12' X 7' open, aluminum trailer that has a hydraulic assist that makes loading and unloading a breeze without using ramps or anything - it tilts automatically, and slowly, as you drive on or off. The railing around the trailer is low enough for the doors to open and close without interference from the trailer sides. I borrowed a trailer from the dealer to pick up my new 1000 just to test it, and it was a pleasure to load and tow. I just don't have a vehicle to tow a 8' wide, tall trailer, and this seemed to be my best option. The dealer also warned me that pulling an enclosed trailer is a totally different experience than an open trailer, and he insisted that I take a long test drive before buy an enclosed trailer. The way it turned out I didn't need to address this issue.

I am concerned about towing with the wind blowing at 60 mph, but it does make towing a lot easier on the vehicle. My new trailer is ready, I just have to pick it up next week. I also had a 2' gravel guard installed on the front of the trailer - $3,100 w tax. My biggest concern is my fabric doors (hard top and back) and towing. I have purchase a 20' length of 1/2" bungee cord (pretty tough stuff) to tie around the cab that will catch the top of the doors and hopefully keep them from getting damaged by the wind.

Good luck in you search. It was a more involved than I anticipated, and I'll be interested to know what you decide to do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Pioneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode