2007 honda rubicon mud mods - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda Mud Riders Discuss lifts, mud tires, snorkels and everything else pertaining to mud modifications and accessories here.

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:47 PM

Liked: 1892 times
Garage
Quote:
I hope @retro, @fishfiles, @Goober, @Manny, @_Wilson_, @Jeepwm69 and others will chime in. It is their duty to get me out of hot water.

Good luck with your project!
Hm.... I see accumulating debt in the near future

We now return you to the scheduled program @ hand.
SamUK and retro like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 10 times
So i emailed reduction boss and they dont make a GR for this bike, and i cant find one anywhere else either. Im actually having a very hard time finding anything for this bike...
soooo it looks like all im going to do is snorkel it for good measure, and put some 27" outlaws on it as i think it should spin them in low? Clutch kit. And 2" bracket lift if need be to clear 27's.
And then just enjoy it for what it is.
misterclean59 likes this.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:36 AM

Liked: 3340 times
Nobody makes a GR for the Hondamatic Rubicons

You'll be able to turn 27" Outlaws in Low Range, but if you get in any really thick stuff you'll bog down. I have 27" Mudbugs on mine, and they're about as big/heavy as I'd want to go. Bugs are a really light tire, where Outlaws are quite a bit heavier. You could probably get by with the Laws, just be warned you'll see a pretty big power loss due to the weight

I have a Perfex Long Travel kit on mine. Gives about 1.5" of lift, but more importantly, a much better ride. They are discontinued but there are still some on ebay.

This one will fit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-31234-AT...QAAOSwNmVah0ZP

There is also a reverse mod that will give you full power and speed in reverse if that's something you're interested in. Basically tricks the computer into thinking it's in forward gears, when it's actually in reverse, so you can hammer on the throttle to back out of trouble. You just have to be careful letting other people ride your rig with it like that as someone could get hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post

You'll be able to turn 27" Outlaws in Low Range, but if you get in any really thick stuff you'll bog down. I have 27" Mudbugs on mine, and they're about as big/heavy as I'd want to go. Bugs are a really light tire, where Outlaws are quite a bit heavier. You could probably get by with the Laws, just be warned you'll see a pretty big power loss due to the weight

I have a Perfex Long Travel kit on mine. Gives about 1.5" of lift, but more importantly, a much better ride. They are discontinued but there are still some on ebay.

There is also a reverse mod that will give you full power and speed in reverse if that's something you're interested in. Basically tricks the computer into thinking it's in forward gears, when it's actually in reverse, so you can hammer on the throttle to back out of trouble. You just have to be careful letting other people ride your rig with it like that as someone could get hurt.
Thanks for the info. I think i may just try some 27" zillas and see how they do before i try the laws. And thanks for the link on the lift, and the pointer on the reverse
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadlerracing529 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post

Thanks for the info. I think i may just try some 27" zillas and see how they do before i try the laws. And thanks for the link on the lift, and the pointer on the reverse
Check out the Mudbugs. Same company that makes the Zilla, but the Bugs have more paddle than the zillas do. About the same price too. I bought one set after Mac talked me into it, and am now running 3 sets, and two of my buddies have bought them for their ATV's after riding my bikes with them.
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Ill look into them for sure. That lift was exactly what i was looking for so i ordered it! Thanks again for that
Jeepwm69 likes this.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:21 PM

Liked: 2065 times
Garage
No GR for the Rubicon. Setup seems ok, tough call between bugs and Zilla's. 28x9 zilla's will be really light and easy to spin, but I do like the Mud Bugs A LOT. lol.

I wouldn't go too crazy with power mods, the Rubicon's trans just seems to soak it all up anyway. Most people just sink a ton of money in them to end up still disappointed then sell them at a loss and get a different bike....IMO if you want to build a MUD BIKE, you're starting off at a disadvantage....
mrbb, Jeepwm69 and GirlsRideToo like this.

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 28" Mud Bugs
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:15 AM

I had a Rubicon practically given to me a few months ago. Had electrical issues (used harness fixed those) and the swingarm bolts had backed out and wallowed out the holes (
used frame from PSN fixed that). I cleaned and greased everything when I moved stuff over from the screwed up frame to the good one.

Things runs good, and cleaned up really well. Only problem now is my kid keeps wanting to ride that one because she's lazy and doesn't like footshifting her Rancher.

I was going to flip it, but think I might hang onto it for a cruiser/ company bike. I always end up stressing out when friends and inlaws are on my footshifts and don't know how to choose gears, so you hear them struggling on a hill and realize they're in 3rd gear and don't know to downshift.
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post
No GR for the Rubicon. Setup seems ok, tough call between bugs and Zilla's. 28x9 zilla's will be really light and easy to spin, but I do like the Mud Bugs A LOT. lol.

I wouldn't go too crazy with power mods, the Rubicon's trans just seems to soak it all up anyway. Most people just sink a ton of money in them to end up still disappointed then sell them at a loss and get a different bike....IMO if you want to build a MUD BIKE, you're starting off at a disadvantage....
I knew getting into this it wasn't the best wheeler to start with but i bought through my uncles estate so i had to keep it in the family.
I've seen it mentioned before but havent heard any definitive answers on it...what if i ran 28 wide mudbugs rear and 28 skinny zillas in the front. Seems like it would be a decent compromise. And yes the more i look into this the more i realize there just isnt much for these wheelers as far as serious mud gear goes. I did run it in one of the creeks that i wheel last night and it turned the heavy 26's its got on it now no problem! Just definitely not the right tire, so i feel it would turn a light 28 perfectly fine for the types of holes i hit
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:43 PM

Liked: 2149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadlerracing529 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post

I knew getting into this it wasn't the best wheeler to start with but i bought through my uncles estate so i had to keep it in the family.
I've seen it mentioned before but havent heard any definitive answers on it...what if i ran 28 wide mudbugs rear and 28 skinny zillas in the front. Seems like it would be a decent compromise. And yes the more i look into this the more i realize there just isnt much for these wheelers as far as serious mud gear goes. I did run it in one of the creeks that i wheel last night and it turned the heavy 26's its got on it now no problem! Just definitely not the right tire, so i feel it would turn a light 28 perfectly fine for the types of holes i hit
I wouldn;t mix tires, mainly due to one tire will most likely be taller than the other, none of the OEM tire makers run true to the size on the side wall!
so then you start to have to think about drive live bind, or added stress from mix matched OD in tires!
my 2 cents LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Honda Mud Riders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode