2007 honda rubicon mud mods - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda Mud Riders Discuss lifts, mud tires, snorkels and everything else pertaining to mud modifications and accessories here.

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 10 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
I think you'll be so so happy with the set up
I would maybe prefer to say a larger GR and skip the noisy exhaust, the costs of the exhaust IMO< are not worth the small gains and the added noise it then makes
unless you the type that like a loud annoying atv LOL and then have at it I guess!
No not really out for loud lol. I just know on my old Yamaha's the pipe really woke them up so i just figured...lol
What is the best GR for the money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:37 AM

Liked: 2146 times
homda 's do gain any real HP from a exhaust, in there 4x4 atvs
sport atv's, another story
all you IMO get is noise!
I am not a mud guy, but what I do know is this, your honda has about 30 hp or less, going up 3+ inches over stock tires, your changing gear rations

there are other mud guys here that will add better info than me,
I know NO one that said there STOCK honda had too much HP on 25's
so when you go to 28 inch and heaver tires than stock, your robbing a bunch of HP that's hiring the ground!
and not sure where you value, speed over ability to turn tires, how much work money you want to spend to gain a little ground clearance or have the look of a big tire atv!

to some no amount of time or $$ seems to be too much, to others??

some folks run 30" tires on stock atv's and are happy too, I never get this, but maybe they like looks more than performance and that makes them happy, or they drive down hills lot , I don;t know! LOL
I do know I have never been on a stock honda 4x4 atv I felt had too much power, that I wanted to loose some of it HAHA< but again, this is me

I used atv's as a tool more than a toy
GirlsRideToo likes this.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:27 PM

Liked: 514 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadlerracing529 View Post
I appreciate all the info. I should mention I am not new to atv's or mudding or what mods do to bikes. I am experienced in the accelerated rate of wear and tear lol. And yes i do all my own work and maintainence. This is just my first honda, and ive never wheeled with anyone that rode a honda so i was posting this in specifics seeing if i missed something, like a little quirk with the bike or something. Like how above it was mentioned that when lifting a rancher you need to extend it as well.

Silly me for misunderstanding and telling you things you already know. That will teach me to ask more questions before responding.

I hope @retro, @fishfiles, @Goober, @Manny, @_Wilson_, @Jeepwm69 and others will chime in. It is their duty to get me out of hot water.

Good luck with your project!
Goober, _Wilson_ and retro like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2105 times
Apologies for the mistake in thinking this was a rancher, I'd read a thread previous to this about a rancher!

Realistically for mudding I'd do the following...

Snorkel and jets to suit or a tuner. 2" bracket lift. Extended vent lines. Rear swing arm and shaft stretch. Minimum of 50% GR and tyres between 28 and 30 inches. (I personally would opt for a skinny tire set up, personal choice though of course)

BKT's are cheap and relatively light, very good and comparable to all the top brand choices of tires on the market.

I have 28" mega mayhem's on my foreman 450 with no GR, useless in the peanut butter mud unless I use 1st gear, even then it does struggle at times. A great tire, they do dig a little and are slightly heavier than other options out there. Tire choice is a very personal thing I think.

Check out 'mud puppy' on you tube, he did a few great tire reviews not long ago, very informative and very useful, definitely worth a search.
Goober likes this.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRideToo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadlerracing529 View Post
I appreciate all the info. I should mention I am not new to atv's or mudding or what mods do to bikes. I am experienced in the accelerated rate of wear and tear lol. And yes i do all my own work and maintainence. This is just my first honda, and ive never wheeled with anyone that rode a honda so i was posting this in specifics seeing if i missed something, like a little quirk with the bike or something. Like how above it was mentioned that when lifting a rancher you need to extend it as well.

Silly me for misunderstanding and telling you things you already know. That will teach me to ask more questions before responding.

I hope @retro, @fishfiles, @Goober, @Manny, @_Wilson_, @Jeepwm69 and others will chime in. It is their duty to get me out of hot water. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/images/smilies2/shocked.gif[/IMG]

Good luck with your project!
No worries, my original post did kind of sound like i was new to this in general, not just new to hondas so my apologies
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Mrbb i gave up speed awhile back when i got rid of my banshee and raptor lol. My concerns now are torque and getting through the the things i have to get through. My atv is used for riding trails to get to our local pipeline water holes, playing in a creek, and some use for hunting...so its mostly a toy for me. And i know im giving up power for the tires but i need the tire height. Bigger tires will not be installed until i have a gear reduction
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamUK View Post
Apologies for the mistake in thinking this was a rancher, I'd read a thread previous to this about a rancher!

Realistically for mudding I'd do the following...

Snorkel and jets to suit or a tuner. 2" bracket lift. Extended vent lines. Rear swing arm and shaft stretch. Minimum of 50% GR and tyres between 28 and 30 inches. (I personally would opt for a skinny tire set up, personal choice though of course)

BKT's are cheap and relatively light, very good and comparable to all the top brand choices of tires on the market.

I have 28" mega mayhem's on my foreman 450 with no GR, useless in the peanut butter mud unless I use 1st gear, even then it does struggle at times. A great tire, they do dig a little and are slightly heavier than other options out there. Tire choice is a very personal thing I think.

Check out 'mud puppy' on you tube, he did a few great tire reviews not long ago, very informative and very useful, definitely worth a search.
No worries. Thanks for the advice. Whats the best GR for the money? Also do you or anyone know where i can find a radiator relocate kit for this? Im not seeing them anywhere and i really dont feel like fabbing one up but will if i have to
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

I just searched eBay quickly and it seems highlifter do relocate kits. I'm in the UK and that's all that showed up for me, im sure a search by yourself will show more options.

With regards to the GR's, your going to be looking at $600 or somewhere in that region, all depends on your choice of tire size really. I'd be opting for around 50% for trail riding and occasional mudding assuming you would run a 29.5 skinny outlaw setup. I've attached a screen shot of reduction boss price list for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190720-220836.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	588.5 KB
ID:	138430  

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

I should add... Anything less than 50% and you'll be disappointed in the mud, anything more and you'll be disappointed in the trails. Either way you will compensate for one type of riding more than the other, theres no in between really unless you have two ATV's.

To give you a general idea, my 300 had 28 skinnies on and a 54% GR, screaming it topped out at 32mph on the GPS and was comfortable cruising at 18/20 mph. It pulled well in the mud though which was it's main objective. For trails I'd have chosen 34.5%.
GirlsRideToo likes this.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

2004 Foreman 450S

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice samuk. Ill do some more specific research now
SamUK likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Honda Mud Riders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode