No dash lights, headlights or starter - Honda ATV Forum
Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 4 times
No dash lights, headlights or starter

Have an 86 fourtrax 350 that I've owned since new. Had an issue that started last fall where the bike would simple shut down while riding. I'd let it sit a bit and then it would start and run. Happened again this spring. When it occurs I have no oil light, neutral light, headlight or ability to engage the starter switch on the handle bars. The battery is new, all the fuses are good and I have power at the starter solenoid. Another odd thing is when I would turn on the key it would take a 10-15 seconds for the neutral light to come on and sometimes it would be very dim. It almost acts like loose connection or a switch that's not operating correctly, but I have been unable to find either. I replaced the ignition switch a year or so ago with a non-oem switch. Would appreciate any thoughts anyone would have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:48 AM

Liked: 124 times
JC, if you have power at the starter relay but the starter will not engage, that indicates that there is a problem with the ground portion of the starter relay circuit. That includes the light green/red wire coming out of the starter relay. That wire goes to the neutral switch. The neutral switch must be closed (ATV in neutral) in order for ground to be completed to the machine frame. Check that the wire is not broken and that the neutral switch is closing when the machine is in neutral.

2015 TRX500 Foreman
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I haven't checked the relay yet, but will. It's so random. I could go out and try now and it may work. Then again it may not. Then there's the issue of riding along (at night) and it just shuts down. Do you thing the relay or neutral switch could do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 04:27 PM

Liked: 124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcccbr View Post
Thanks. I haven't checked the relay yet, but will. It's so random. I could go out and try now and it may work. Then again it may not. Then there's the issue of riding along (at night) and it just shuts down. Do you thing the relay or neutral switch could do that?
Possibly the neutral switch could cause it, but it's hard to say. You have to start somewhere, though, and the starter system is a good place to start. Once the starter is working reliably, then you can move on to other things.

2015 TRX500 Foreman
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Finally had time to look into this a little more. I still have no lights on the dash nor does the starter button engage the start. Battery is good and I can short across the starter solenoid and it spins the starter. I forgot to mention earlier that I installed an aftermarket key switch 2 years ago. Does anyone know if the Kill switch/headlight/ starter button unit on the left handlebar could cause such a problem? CDI box?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcccbr View Post
....I forgot to mention earlier that I installed an aftermarket key switch 2 years ago....
Aye, you know what ya gotta do don't ya... get that china garbage off there and buy a good new or used OEM switch! 1986 TRX350 ONLY. No other year models will fit the 86.

If you still need help after your OEM ignition switch is installed, come on back, we'd love to help!

Got any pics of your ole gal you can share? :-)

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 11:04 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1501 times
The fact that your headlight is affected tells me ignition (master) switch is involved and not the ignition system.
Unless you were having neutral light problems before and thot changing the switch would fix?

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. I kinda suspected the key switch because I had power intermittently and now it's totally dead. Just trying to save a buck! The other issue was the fact that the neutral light was at first dim and over the course of a minute or so would brighten up and it would start suggested a poor connection. But it baffled me that I'd be riding along and it would just die, sit for a minute and start back up and be fine. But it has been continually been getting worse and the only think that has changed is the key switch.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Finally! The new switch did the trick! Back to normal and ready to ride! Thanks for everyone's help! As it turned out, the old switch WAS NOT a knock off but an OEM Honda switch! Only got 2-3 years out of it. Odd for Honda parts. Here's couple pics of the old girl.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2996_1502054112476.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	86681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2997_1502054132607.JPG
Views:	525
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	86689  
retro and gatorschevy like this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3211 times
Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it! And thanks for pics!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode