97 Honda foreman 400fw! Headlights and tail lights will not work!!!??? - Honda ATV Forum
Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 2 times
97 Honda foreman 400fw! Headlights and tail lights will not work!!!???

I have what I believe is a 97 foreman 400fw that my buddy was gonna junk and I couldn't let it go to waste because I'm a Honda guy and it has a new top end including a jug and a new carb. It just needed a few things and cosmetic work... Anyways I thought my headlight switch was bad cause it was original and I had no lights anywhere so I installed a new one and still no lights! I've checked every plug and fuse I can find and still have no idea why I do not get power to the wires for any lights?! Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4279 times
Garage
a 12 volt dc test light works wonders for tracing power loss !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

The problem is the color of the wire keeps changing color and I'm trying not to just destroy the harmed pulling it apart

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedhonda3 View Post
The problem is the color of the wire keeps changing color and I'm trying not to just destroy the harmed pulling it apart

you don't need to pull any wires apart ?, just start at the fuse block and battery, most are big red wires, they go to the fuse block, then to the ignition switch, from the ignition switch, they go to the light switch then to the lights. most wires for lights are color coded white, blue, and green for Honda. this is a very simple trace test, just takes a little time to trace.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
and when I say a 12 volt dc test light ?, they have a sharp point on them, they are made this way, so you can probe right through the wire insulation without destroying the wires :-).

post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Ok I've got several testers I'll give this a shot ASAP! Thanks!

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedhonda3 View Post
Ok I've got several testers I'll give this a shot ASAP! Thanks!

your welcome. don't forget to remove the head light socket, turn the lights on at the switch, and see if your getting power to the socket ?, could just be a corroded socket ?, bad light bulb ?, hard to say ?, but that test light sure makes it easier to narrow it down :-).

post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:34 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1411 times
Does this machine run otherwise? Do you get taillights and brake light? Oh I see you said no
Do you have the manual there should be a schematic. Check in vicinity of gas tank could be there's a broken wire or loose connection caused during the engine or carb work.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

There's is no power at any sockets at all there are no tail lights or headlights. I was installing flush mount cubes and couldn't get power to them so I started testing every light socket and I get nothing. The bike runs good I just need a new starter relay to start it right now

post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1411 times
Ok i would think there's a harness connector unplugged. Referring to the schematic, I would start from the fuse box (main bus) and go forward. Locate each connector. Inspect for connection and look for broken wires on the back shell of each connector. Once you are satisfied they are all connected then go back and test for power with the test lead by connecting to the hot lead and touch ground. The test lead will light if power is coming from the main bus.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode