trx 300 fw towing - Honda ATV Forum
Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

trx 300 fw towing

Yesterday I was pulling a trailer that weighed about 1400 pounds on my 97 trx 300 fw around my yard. The ATV was struggling on any kind of hill. I later read in the owners manual that the weight limit for towing is 850 pounds. Could I have done any damage? I'm guessing that could be bad for the clutch. Although when I took off the trailer I didn't feel any difference in the way it started moving than usual.

Has anyone here towing much more than 850 pounds with a 300?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:17 AM

Liked: 1 times
probably ok if not done regularly and for extended period of time.If it stills runs ok and not slipping then it is probably ok I just wouldn't try it again......lol
Jeepwm69 likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 27 times
Yeah, I agree with falconblack, if the clutch doesn't seem to be slipping, it's probably OK.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:29 PM

I would say you will be ok. We had a 95 300 and we pulled a 8ft trailer with it on a daily basis will any where from 800 to 1000 pounds of feed on it or 2 4x4 round bales of hay and weve had 40 square bales of hay on it several different times. Those things are tanks I dont think you hurt it any....

..... .....
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 27 times
Yeah, I've also pulled some heavy loads in the past with the Fourtrax 300.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
i agree..your probally ok..just don't do it again !..lol. there is a right way and wrong way to tow a trailer..the wrong way..is putting to much tounge weight on the ball hitch !!..the right way..is either not over load the ball hitch..orrrrrrr..put all your weight on the trailer axles...this keeps the weight off the atv. most trx300's...or even any atv for that matter...does not want you to over load the tow ball hitch..this is tounge weight...it clearly shows you how much on the hitch..that is..unless your sticker is gone !..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Liked: 4 times
the 300's have a 30lb tongue weight limit, and 850lb gross trailer weight limit. i generally ignore the 30lb number. i wont go crazy, but a hundred pounds isnt gonna hurt it. or at least, it hasnt hurt it yet. unless your towing on dead flat ground, your not gonna tow much unless you have some decent tongue weight helping out those rear tires.

1991 honda fourtrax trx300fw
Tamarack classic front box
Tamarack titan deluxe lounger rear box
gps mount, aftermarket lights on handlebars
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 54 times
wanted to revive a long gone thread to hopefully get more opinions....my old 1993 300 2x4 is seeing a lot of extra yard duty this spring...with all the rain , the jungle is growing like crazy.. I've ben brush cutting sapplings, lopping tree limbs etc... i have a 5x10 single axle landscape trailer that is used to haul the quad, or the golf cart etc...but it's just been so handy to hang it off the back of the fourtrax and pull it around the yard to load up the cut limbs and haul back to the burn pile.

the honda seems good pulling it around..you can tell there's weight back there...and the most I might ask it to do at one time is a couple trips of about 300-400 yards distance back to the burn pile.

my trailer is weighing in at 780lbs with that fold down ramp..not leaving a lot of actual carrying cargo weight...I try to watch it...tongue weight isn't horrible...I can pick up the tonge and mount it on the quad with the load on it..but I know it's more than 30lbs...easily double.. I'm probably asking for trouble, shortening the machine's life but it's the too I have to work with...thoughts appreciated... thanks.. Big hand Ed
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:39 AM

Liked: 2948 times
I wouldn't think twice about doing heavy work with one of my Hondas. If I can lift the tongue on the trailer without hurting myself, the Honda can handle it.

If I have to use a trailer jack then it gets hooked up to a Jeep instead of a 4wheeler.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:20 PM

Liked: 1896 times
the weight of what your towing, has more to do with can you control it when your going,
I have towed several thousand lbs with mine, but get a few hundred lbs on a steeper down hill and you can get in trouble real fast
these are all TOOLS< and yes they can do a lot more than there rated for, IF things are good for this to happens
common sense will get you far in life, DON"T have any and ell, life can get expensive and painful real fast LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode