1998 Honda TRX300FW Fourtrax Full Refurbish Project - Honda ATV Forum
Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

104Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 46 times
Garage
1998 Honda TRX300FW Fourtrax Full Refurbish Project

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Honda TRX300 FW Fourtrax quad in need of some repair. However, after some stripping back of the plastics and wheels, I found it needs a lot of work to get it right, so I have decided to do a full overhaul on the quad. I will post progressive photos from the beginning and will be asking for help along the way! Feel free to comment and give advice when needed as I don't admit to knowing it all! My dad ( Bluezulu49) will also be in on the project and we hope to have the bike running again by the end of July/early August.

So far, we have done the following:

We have removed:

All racks front and back and the plastic mudguards.
The fuel tank (has a bad dent on the left side, any suggestions as to how to pull it out would be appreciated).
The whole front end of the bike, all brake components, hubs, knuckles, bearings, swing arms and a lot of the electronics.
The steering rack.
The cooling fan (motor is seized but we managed to buy a brand new old stock fan).
The exhaust pipe.

Along with my father, construction wise, we have so far:

Cleaned the 4x swing arms and repainted 3 of them.
Cleaned the stainless steel shrouds that sit at the back between the brake shoes and the knuckles on the front end.
Cut off the rotten steel from the bash bar and replaced with new steel, like for like. (I'm a carpenter by trade but have picked up the knack for welding over the years!).

I have spent a considerable amount of money on new parts which include the following:

New exhaust pipe and gasket.
New brake shoes and springs, front and back.
New knuckles x2.
Second hand brake drums.
Bearings for the front hubs.
New steering rack components.
New rear axle.
New brake fluid pipes x2 (they bolt onto the back of the brake guard on the front end).
New cooling fan motor.
New brake cylinders.

I may have missed a few things but there are more items still to be ordered, i just need to see what else needs replacing/ repairing first.

The next job is to remove the front driveshaft and engine to inspect the bottom side of the chassis.
Any pointers and tips are welcome, I will post up some pics shortly to show you what we have found so far.

Hope you enjoy the thread!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda quad.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	137602   Click image for larger version

Name:	aefeb715-9148-45ff-805a-9aee18ab9575.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	137604   Click image for larger version

Name:	df321840-bc23-4cd0-8749-be5feabe51b7.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	137606   Click image for larger version

Name:	3b7221d6-faf4-4129-ae14-7369bb4a86d4.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	137608   Click image for larger version

Name:	5e798d4e-2559-4f9b-8b4c-bb2919b19828.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	137610  

Goober, _Wilson_ and retro like this.

A craftsman knows in advance what the finished result will be, while the artist knows only what it will be when he has finished it.

W. H. Auden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:18 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6771 times
Garage
Nice project Turbo .... in the 4th pic above , it looks like something is bent , seems the rack mount is pointing down , but that tube doesn't look bent
post #3 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:30 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1408 times
Very cool project.
How is the fan controlled on the 98-00 models, does it use a separate fan control unit? Because I don’t see where it’s mounted—older models it’s mounted to the rider’s left of the CDI.

You can try to pop out the dent using any bodywork method except heating because of the petrol, right?

Is the tank rusty? Because you can use vinegar and a pound of BBs to remove the rust. Just remove the petcock and tank cap because the vinegar will destroy the rubber. Then neutralize the vinegar with a high pH solution immediately after rust removal and dry with a hair dryer.

Then you should smell no petrol—you can work on the dent more—or live with it. Buy a NOS tank and sell this one on. This type of treatment will make easy to ship—no fuel smell. Just remind the buyer to rinse out the pH chemical with fuel first because the calcium will clog the filter and these models don’t have one BTW.
_Wilson_ and Bluezulu49 like this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

post #4 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 46 times
Garage
Fishfiles, I think it's the angle of the photo. That bar is loose on the frame but not bent. The front by bash bar does have a slight twist though, which makes me think the bike may have been driven into something solid in the past and twisted it.
fishfiles and _Wilson_ like this.

A craftsman knows in advance what the finished result will be, while the artist knows only what it will be when he has finished it.

W. H. Auden
post #5 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:26 AM

Liked: 1803 times
Garage
Quote:
does it use a separate fan control unit? Because I don’t see where it’s mounted—older models it’s mounted to the rider’s left of the CDI.
Good eye goober! I didnt even see that oem cooling fan...till you mentioned this^^^

I believe shade mentioned to me one time later year model 300,s .... The fan and cdi were built as a single unit (cdi) but.... I just checked and the only year model showing one single box , is the 2000 model, the odd thing is my 1999 300 ALSO has one control box (CDI) hm....that's strange ??

Edit: i just went and looked @ my 97 , it's the same (single unit) very odd!

https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oem...a/wire-harness
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	137618  
fishfiles likes this.

Last edited by _Wilson_; 07-01-2019 at 06:31 AM.
post #6 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:32 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6771 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Twister View Post
Fishfiles, I think it's the angle of the photo. That bar is loose on the frame but not bent. The front by bash bar does have a slight twist though, which makes me think the bike may have been driven into something solid in the past and twisted it.
now that you say that , the tube you might be calling the bash bar : is that the frame tube on the left in the pic with 1/2 the decal still on it ? from the angle of the pic maybe , but that tube looks bent to the side ----- did you ever get to ride the bike , I wonder how the steering was if it has a warp in it
post #7 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:57 AM

Liked: 17 times
Garage
Our 1998 TRX300FWW project is well under way and we have now received some of the parts we ordered.

This morning we got four new brake cylinders. I notice that the new ones differ from the old in that the new have breather pipes in both cylinders whereas the old only have them in one cylinder on each side. I suspect we will deal with this by drilling an access hole in each of the brake backing plates.
We went for new cylinders as they were about the same price as refurb kits and we could not unseize the originals.

Also the hole for the bleed nipple on the new cylinders is M10 x 1.25 while it is much smaller on the old one. We have solved ( we hope ) this problem by buying new M10 X 1.25 bleed nipples on ebay.

Picture of some of the repainted upper and lower arms and steering arm, new exhaust and new fan motor below. Also picture of old and new brake cylinders showing differences.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Parts.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	137620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake cylinders.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	137624  
retro likes this.
post #8 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:16 AM

Liked: 1803 times
Garage
Quote:
Edit: i just went and looked @ my 97 , it's the same (single unit) very odd!
Correction.... The 97 does have both boxes, one wasn't shoved in the rubber holder.

So.... I take it the 1999, and 2000 are integrated ??
post #9 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:14 AM

Liked: 17 times
Garage
We spotted Fishfiles! I took off the front rack, turned it upside down and measured the distance from the floor to the top mount bracket on each side. There is a difference of 6 mm between one side and the other. See pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front frame.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	137626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top right mounting bracket 29.9.jpg
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	137628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top left mounting bracket 30.5.jpg
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	137630  
post #10 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:14 AM

Liked: 3238 times
Looks like a great project. Keep the pics coming!

As for the fan CDI, the 350 Ranchers in the US use the same CDI as the 98-00 300's, and have two wires for the fan control.
_Wilson_ likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode