92 TRX350 Fourtrax Oil Temp Light - Honda ATV Forum
Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 2 times
92 TRX350 Fourtrax Oil Temp Light

Hi folks, finally found a beautiful old tank in fantastic shape. Just working out a few kinks. One is the oil temp light...it does not come on during the test when turning key on initially. Fan works when the lead to oil temp sensor is grounded. Is this a big deal? Reverse light does not come on briefly initially either but comes on when reverse is engaged.

I have searched all the threads repeatedly and didn’t find an answer to this one.

Anybody have any insight!?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2930 times
Both the fan motor and the oil temp light should come on when you ground the sensor wire. If both come on the fan control unit is good. Next test the resistance through the oil temp sensor using a decent multimeter. It should measure between 9.5k ohms and 10.5k ohms at about 68 degrees F (20 degrees C). If the sensor measures out of that range by more than 500 ohms it needs replacing. If its within range, ride it! Got any pics of your TRX350?
Goober likes this.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:40 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1315 times
Coolness, a 92 Foreman!
Does the light come on at all?
The service manual steps you through a diagnostics and explains how to get the fan and light to come on by grounding that lead.
If the light doesn’t come on you will have to check the bulb.

Use a flat blade screwdriver to gently dislodge two tabs in the Honda dash insert—gently! Don’t break it.
Underneath there are two screws—remove them and roll the dash over and rearward. This will expose the harness—gently work the friction fit connector from the dash insert. The socket may be dirty or the bulb burned or prongs rusty.

I had all three on mine, plus the PO had a very heavy rack on the front fender that pushed the fender down onto the dash harness–chafed every wire on the bundle. I also used dielectric grease on the bulb seats and the rubber so they would pop into the sockets easier

Notice I referenced the 89 TRX350 parts listing because the later models aren’t listed. Supposedly the 90-93 TRX350 were built in Japan using 89 parts and were not exported to US because Honda began building TRX300 in the US.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90FC972A-78CD-4E6A-83E4-2BB814F5E5E1.png
Views:	8
Size:	596.9 KB
ID:	136920   Click image for larger version

Name:	44AB6D36-5FF7-465A-85EC-A0057A388807.png
Views:	9
Size:	572.8 KB
ID:	136922  

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

Last edited by Goober; 05-29-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, shoulda mentioned that I put a new thermal sensor in it already, checked the bulb and it doesn’t appear to be burnt. Guess I am wondering if the control unit could cause it. I’ve never seen the light come on at anytime. Have taken the bike on some pretty good rides and have not seen the fan come on either...I’ve read that they need to get pretty hit but just trying to make sure the system is working...if the light never comes on!

Retro, I’ll post up some pics later!
retro likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2930 times
I pasted the troubleshooting flow chart from the service manual, section 20. You can find a copy of the FSM linked from @Goober's sig if you need one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fcu-diag.png
Views:	8
Size:	453.9 KB
ID:	136950  

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:53 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Take off the inner fenders.

Left side make sure all your fan control unit connections are clean and tight. Esp (Blue) Bu and Blue/Red wires. Pull off right side panel and check Blue wire not disconnected

Right side check the red connector to see if there’s any chafing on the dash harness. Blue/red

Your fuel gauge work? Neutral and Reverse lights? The other wires connected to the light is the Black/Brown fed by the lights fuse so if your guage works check for power at the light bulb.

My experience is real easy to unintentionally disco the connectors on the FCU and under the right side panel

Lol ok i bet the prongs are bad on the bulb connector—swap known good bulb. Otherwise loose Bu/r on the FCU!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8E37A4C8-DC4D-4614-AF79-58B44E8A1EA5.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	519.4 KB
ID:	136952   Click image for larger version

Name:	A1776507-140A-465D-A7ED-01FB30E7C8BD.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	565.7 KB
ID:	136954  

Last edited by Goober; 05-29-2019 at 11:08 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:55 PM

Liked: 264 times
I believe it's possible a bad or intermittent FSU can cause this issue, in addition to the suggestions listed by everyone above. I have 5-6 FSU's and I came across one that would occasionally not trigger the oil light briefly with the key. Swapped it out and problem went away. I suppose it's just as likely there was a poor connection and swapping units corrected that condition. I'll probably run into it again, as I can't bring myself to throw any of them away just yet.
retro likes this.

'87 TRX350D
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:03 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck0fDeath View Post
I believe it's possible a bad or intermittent FSU can cause this issue, in addition to the suggestions listed by everyone above. I have 5-6 FSU's and I came across one that would occasionally not trigger the oil light briefly with the key. Swapped it out and problem went away. I suppose it's just as likely there was a poor connection and swapping units corrected that condition. I'll probably run into it again, as I can't bring myself to throw any of them away just yet.
Hey Duck have you considered heating the bad one? I had an FCU from a TRX300, wouldn’t give me an oil light. Heated it in a 200 degree oven for three full hours—no smell no melting—and let it cool. It works now.
_Wilson_ and retro like this.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Take off the inner fenders.

Left side make sure all your fan control unit connections are clean and tight. Esp (Blue) Bu and Blue/Red wires. Pull off right side panel and check Blue wire not disconnected

Right side check the red connector to see if there’s any chafing on the dash harness. Blue/red

Your fuel gauge work? Neutral and Reverse lights? The other wires connected to the light is the Black/Brown fed by the lights fuse so if your guage works check for power at the light bulb.

My experience is real easy to unintentionally disco the connectors on the FCU and under the right side panel

Lol ok i bet the prongs are bad on the bulb connector—swap known good bulb. Otherwise loose Bu/r on the FCU!!
I’ll check those out, thanks bud. There is no fuel gauge on this machine. It’s a canadian fourtrax trx350 not the foreman. The reverse light doesn’t go through the test sequence with the key either but works when gearerd into reverse.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck0fDeath View Post
Hey Duck have you considered heating the bad one? I had an FCU from a TRX300, wouldn’t give me an oil light. Heated it in a 200 degree oven for three full hours–no smell no melting–and let it cool. It works now.
Thats interesting idea...what does heating it do!?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode