Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

2Likes
  • 1 Post By retro
  • 1 Post By retro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 11 times
'06 TRX250TM slipping clutch?

I haven't been able to fully get all the power down on the quad. It's a semi-automatic, non-electric shift, TRX250. I can't find any information on this topic so I'm trying here. Whenever i'm in a high-ish gear and I give it some gas the engine RPMs go up but no power goes through the driveline. Eventually it will "grab" and the engine RPMs go down and I can clearly tell and feel that the engine and transmission are bound. But when ever I gas it, it slips. Happens a lot on hills, and is starting to happen just normally. I have a feeling the "Wight Clutches" are worn or something. The clutch that engages after the engine hits a certain RPM. I don't think its the main clutch pack for shifting gears, but I could be wrong. What is going on?? What can I do to get more power down? Is this common? Because it sure doesn't seem so.

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2974 times
Yep, sounds like the centrifugal clutch is slipping, but it could be the change clutch so inspect those too once you've got the cover off. You may have to replace the drum along with the weights and springs, its probably grooved by now. You won't know for sure until its apart.

For now, try to readjust the change clutch to see if that improves anything. Also make sure that the motor oil you've been using is JASO MA or MA2 approved for wet clutches.
LedFTed likes this.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

So just pull the front cover off and inspect? How big of a job is it to change that stuff out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Its not very difficult. Getting the nut loose on the centrifugal is easiest using a 1/2" drive impact though.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Is it reasonably easy to swap those components out without having to pull the motor? That's the big question.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Yeah, but do it the way that you're most comfortable. If I were doing that work I'd yank the motor and do all of the work on the bench. But thats just me... I'm a busted up n' bolted together old fart with a sore back 24/7, bad eyes and bad hands. I look for easiest on the body... and I gotta have lots of light to see with lots of extra space around the subject for my artificial eyeballs headset. I used to be a polar opposite... like a bull in a china shop. No mas tho... :-)

The FSM will clue ya in on all that you'll need as far as tools and the procedures and whatnot.
_Wilson_ likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode